Does age make a difference to dancing ability

Katymac

I was chatting to a mum about this and I wondered whether what I said was correct

I would assume an 8 or 10 year old would probably not dance as well as a 14 or 16 yo given a similar level of training (say 4 or 5 years)

Obviously I'm not talking about prodigies just general children

In the same way I would assume 2 16yos both trained to say Grade 6 but one with 10 years of lessons & one with 2/3 years - the one with more training would stand out

Generally, (not specifically iyswim we can all find my friend who can......) is that right?

if say generally yes older ones dance better to younger ones if given a similar amount of training.

however the 16 y/olds with different years of lessons maybe not so much. i think starting later doesn't always make a difference as you just miss all the pre ballet and start with the 'proper stuff' in a way. you'd maybe notice more in a performance way?

not sure if that really makes sense and its just my opinion????????

Yes - I suppose I was speaking generally 2 children from the same school so the same training

But of course that is almost impossible

I guess I would always assume that longer (good) training would be visible - which may be a fallacy

As Taxi said - having seen DDs group of friends all start ballet the same term age 3 and continue for some of them at the same school until the end of year 13 (for some of them), I can say for certain that length of training does not necessarily make much of a difference as there is great variety in level and performance quality in this bunch of girls.

I think it's what people do with that training that counts regardless of age.

There will be personalities that are more focused and hardworking. Confidence and emotion must come into play somewhere too.

I've seen some 8-10 yo that are 'better' (use that word subjectively) than older girls but then obviously there are older girls that are 'better'.

Some people tend to measure 'better' by exam marks but that's a bit difficult as depends on how examiner marks on the day.

I'm not sure how you measure better really :)

It's difficult as children grow and develop at different rates. There are times when one leg is slightly longer than the other leg, sending balance all over the place. So it may seem at aged ten they appeared more secure, then puberty sets in.

• Like 1

I have had several late starters who not only caught up with their peers, but surpassed them.  They had natural talent and a good physique, the will to work hard and ambition.  I also have several students aged 13 and 14 in Intermediate who have stronger classical technique than the 16 and 17 year olds.  They're able to do much more advanced exercises on pointe (and look good doing them) than the older ones.  I often find that the younger ones in a class are the best, even when there is a difference in age of two or even three years. As they say - it's just the way the cookie crumbles!

• Like 1