Spring Celebration; a celebration of British Ballet Training

Yes, I was their. The evening was wonderful - each school, in its own different way, proved what a huge amount of talent we have in the young people who are there. The programme consisted of each school dancing two pieces with a final piece involving all the dancers.

I don't propose to "mark" the schools as I am not technically competent so to do but I can give a lay persons opinion. The four schools were Central School for Ballet, Elmhurst, ENB and the RB.

Central - Each of their pieces were contemporary in nature and, for me, the most difficult as I am not a huge fan of both abstract dance and music. The first was called Four, choreographed by Chris. Hampson and reflected four hands playing a piano ( so the programme tells me ) and the second was Morning and Moonlight using music by Britten, choreographed by Chris Bruce and showed elements of a seascape.

Elmhurst - Again contemporary but much easier to understand. The first was Orpheus Suite and set to music by Duke Ellington involving 10 boys rocking and rolling around the stage, great fun - part two was Second Detail by William Forsythe with three girls. Their second piece was called Transito and was a boy, Joshua Lee in the programme, and two girls dancing flamenco to a man playing the guitar and a lady clapping along. The boy was brilliant.

ENB - First piece was Trice, to music by Stravinsky, created by George Williamson beautifully danced  by one girl and two boys and the second piece was Allegro set to Mozarts Concerto No. 22 and wonderfully danced by the schools first year students.

RB - The most classic of the schools. Firstly was the Classical Symphony set to music by Prokofiev and created by Liam Scarlett - pure joy of watching the boys and girls swirl around the stage. The second piece was the pas de deux from Shostakovich 2nd piano concerto created by Macmillan. Danced by the fantastic Chisato Katsura and Lukas Braendsrod. She is going to be some dancer - mark my words.

The whole evening was then finished of by a contempary piece, composed specially for the evening by Philip Feeney and created by Mikaela Polley, both of whom were their to take their bows - danced by all the dancers to a huge cheer at the end.

One final point, I was sitting on row P, the back row in the stalls, and for the entire evening the florescent lights above our heads kept flicking on, it looked like someone was taking photos. I would have thought that with this and a performance of the Magic Flute on the main stage there must have been an electrician in the building to turn them off. Very poor show by the managment

Edited by SPD444
  • Like 3

Thanks so for your review, SPD44.  Special thanks for telling about the flickering light.  I definitely thought it was someone willfully taking flash pictures (especially silly I thought after the interval announcement).  This explains it.  I was standing at MG34 and I could see people near the front of the stalls (including Dowell) turning and trying to figure out where the reflection of the flash was coming from. 

Thought it was a good evening overall.  ENB's school did themselves proud certainly and there was no question but that Katsura and Braendsrod were the evening's standouts for me in the PDD from MacMillan's Concerto.  They were as stunning in this as they had been in the Raymonda Act III last July (not dancing together of course).  I pray that they both might join the RB Company upon graduation ... much as I so hope that Leo Dixon might as well.  Such a lovely impactful dancer Dixon is with glorious placement and presence.  Happily both Dixon and Braendsrod have shown themselves to be more than apt partners and certainly both have that much desired element of height.  These two would make a glorious addition to the likes of Muntagirov, Ball and Reece. K. O'Hare's bottom up philosophy will soon ensure that everything is solid from the top down.  Katsura already has star potential writ large; one might almost say enormously so. 

Oh, and wasn't it lovely to catch a glimpse of Patrick Armand again.  (Here leading a brief suggestion of a class with members from the four participating schools at the very start of the programme.)  In some instances - such as Armand's - time really does appear - for the moment at least - to have stood still. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

that Katsura and Braendsrod were the evening's standouts for me in the PDD from MacMillan's Concerto.  They were as stunning in this as they had been in the Raymonda Act III last July (not dancing together of course).  I pray that they both might join the RB Company upon graduation ...

You'll be pleased to learn that Katsura has a contract with RB.

• Like 4

Which one was Leo Dixon?

Oh, and wasn't it lovely to catch a glimpse of Patrick Armand again.  (Here leading a brief suggestion of a class with members from the four participating schools at the very start of the programme.)

Not really quite what I'd expected from the advertised "onstage masterclass", though.

• Like 1

One final point, I was sitting on row P, the back row in the stalls, and for the entire evening the florescent lights above our heads kept flicking on, it looked like someone was taking photos. I would have thought that with this and a performance of the Magic Flute on the main stage there must have been an electrician in the building to turn them off. Very poor show by the management

It was due to an apparently inexplicable problem with the house lights. I spoke to someone afterwards and they'd been trying to fix it for a couple of days.

You'll be pleased to learn that Katsura has a contract with RB.

And Bjorneboe Braendsrod has a place in the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers Programme (as, I think, does Dixon).  Post-Katsura's contract (awarded early in the school year) it looks like this programme may be the official route into the company for graduates from now on.  It gives the director another year to see how the graduates perform in a company before he awards a permanent contract and the salary expense (I hear it is only a little less than the Artist salary, unlike the case with some of the continental European companies' apprentice programmes, where it is hard to see how on earth the dancer can afford to live without parental financial support) is covered by the programme's sponsor rather than coming out of the company budget.

Edited by barton22

And Bjorneboe Braendsrod has a place in the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers Programme (as, I think, does Dixon).  Post-Katsura's contract (awarded early in the school year) it looks like this programme may be the official route into the company for graduates from now on.  It gives the director another year to see how the graduates perform in a company before he awards a permanent contract and the salary expense (I hear it is only a little less than the Artist salary, unlike the case with some of the continental European companies' apprentice programmes, where it is hard to see how on earth the dancer can afford to live without parental financial support) is covered by the programme's sponsor rather than coming out of the company budget.

Well the only AJYD for next year I'm aware of as being in the public domain is Harry Churches.

I don't thing the AJYD programme will replace direct employment into the company and O'Hare is on the record as saying so.

Hello. Actually I know for a fact that there are 5 being taken onto the AJYD

That is truly excellent news ... as are the other situational items reported/muted above. 

(Just a note of caution:  Have the situations herein identified from Item no. 5 down been publicly acknowledged/confirmed/reported?  If not the reportage of such on this Board may, I fear, break BcoF rules.  Perhaps a moderator might best advise on this score.  I say this ONLY as I know I have myself unwittingly run afoul of these wise guidelines on one occasion.) 

Still, the future is looking - well as it appears from the information herein suggested - EVER brighter.  That is a wonderful thing indeed.  Roll on, Mr. O'Hare.  At a time when many major institutions are cutting their dividends simply to survive your philosophy appears to be paying substantial returns.  Hearty congratulations on behalf of a hungry many.  Bless you. 

Edited by Bruce Wall

That is truly excellent news ... as are the other situational items reported/muted above. 

(Just a note of caution:  Have the situations herein identified from Item no. 5 down been publicly acknowledged/confirmed/reported?  If not the reportage of such on this Board may, I fear, break BcoF rules.  Perhaps a moderator might best advise on this score.  I say this ONLY as I know I have myself unwittingly run afoul of these wise guidelines on one occasion.) 

Still, the future is looking - well as it appears from the information herein suggested - EVER brighter.  That is a wonderful thing indeed.  Roll on, Mr. O'Hare.  At a time when many major institutions are cutting their dividends simply to survive your philosophy appears to be paying substantial returns.  Hearty congratulations on behalf of a hungry many.  Bless you.

My postings (number 5 & 9) contain information that is in the public domain. It's noted in the latest Ballet Association newsletter which is available on their website for all to read.

• Like 1

My postings (number 5 & 9) contain information that is in the public domain. It's noted in the latest Ballet Association newsletter which is available on their website for all to read.

Thanks so for referencing the public source, bangorballetboy.  That is HUGELY appreciated. 

Edited by Bruce Wall