All England semi finals

Lilac

My Dd has qualified some solos, and two group dances to take part at the Fareham sem-final in the May half term. Just wondered if anyone know how far in advance they produce the timetable? Am asking as my work are pressurising me to decide which days I need off to go and support! Have tried to say am likely to know for a while! Thanks.

Just checked her letter, we'll be at the semi final in Cheltenham. She qualified at the Swansea festival with her solo and some groups

I'm sorry it might be me missing something, but the nearest regional final for us would be Mansfield what I can see. Just to clarify, if a dancer gains 89 points at a nominated festival, and enters the competition within the time scale, would that dancer go forward to the regional final?  

What do you mean "massive bias" Vonrothbart?

There are various regional finals in different areas of the country, definitely one in the North.

So sorry Loulabelle, only two pages opened at first, but now seen all the other nominated festivals.  :wub: The most northerly regional final though, is Mansfield what I can see, hardly north really.

Edited by Vonrothbart

Yes you're correct Loulabelle, her school doesn't take part. That's a shame if an individual wanted to enter, and wouldn't be allowed. It's maybe no big deal if she isn't, as she probably has enough on her plate as it is, but sometimes I think to go for it, as you never know when this journey might end for one reason or another. She would qualify for the ballet solo, the duet, and the trio in her age group, obviously if her partners were interested too.  

Edited by Vonrothbart

I don't know that it's not allowable for an individual to enter, it probably is allowed. It's just normally the teachers that enter their pupils. Her teacher may allow her to enter, seems a shame not to if she has qualified as it is a very enjoyable experience. But I assume her teacher has her reasons for not entering her school in general.

It is pretty expensive!

It is certainly possible to enter some qualifying festivals as a private entry (even if you go to a dance school.) it usually implies that you have not had your teacher's help to choreograph and rehearse your dance. Qualifying festivals in my area do not state a dancer's school in the programme (apart from groups, obviously) so other entrants and the audience would not know whether you were from a school and supported by a teacher or not. My dd has entered many dances at many festivals and I would not have wanted to do that without the input, support and coaching from dance school teachers, but some do, and there's no reason why not if that's right for you. I guess there could be some tension if the dancer's school was against the dancer entering privately.

I've got a feeling that you have to apply via your teacher (who has to be a member of All England Dance). I could be wrong but Dd didn't do 2013 as she was the only one from her school wanting to enter so we saved her teacher the membership and didn't go. She didn't suggest entering ourselves. We'll be at Cheltenham this year.

I am pretty sure that the teacher has to be a member of All England Dance to enter students into the semi finals. None of the festivals we normally do are qualifiers but a few years ago we had a dance school "holiday" to a qualifying festival and quite a lot of the students qualified, so our teacher had to specifically join All England Dance in order for them to progress. We didn't enter the semis in the end as it clashed with something else but I think a couple of girls went along and had a good time.

• Like 1