UK examining bodies

Pups_mum

Just curious really...

My DD does RAD ballet and ISTD tap and modern and one of her friends does IDTA exams at the school she goes to, but I was wondering how many other dance examining bodies there are in this country? For those of you whose children do exams, what syllabus are they following, or what others do you know of?

No deep reason for the question, I'm just being nosey! One of my friends was talking about her daughter's dancing exams the other day and they sounded quite different to my daughter's so it set me off wondering how many different examining/organising bodies there are.

My ds has done RAD until now but his teacher has switched the Intermediate class to IDTA. I don't really understand the reasons except that there is apparently more free work ?? in the IDTA Intermediate syllabus, so if anyone can explain that further I would be grateful. :huh:

There seems to be some relatively recent link-up or association between IDTA and RAD - can anyone explain that to me as well? PLEASE?? :rolleyes:

Myself and my daughter have always done RAD but recently started IDTA as well. Its a very different syllabus, we've just done the IDTA inter exams, following the RAD exams last Dec. Results out in a week or so..... :/ The IDTA syllabus was so much shorter! Far less technical, more "dansy"

From what I've heard IDTA teachers are going to be able to teach RAD syllabus too...mnot sure of the ins and outs but I will ask my IDTA teacher :)

I teach RAD ballet and ISTD everything else. The 'link up' between RAD and IDTA enables IDTA teachers to teach and enter pupils for RAD exams, and vice versa, and to call themselves a 'mutually recognised teacher'.

I personally feel that the ballet training of the RAD is superior, particularly of teacher training, however any syllabus is only as good as the teacher delivering it. I am leaning more towards teaching mostly free work and body conditioning. By doing more free work children pick up the examination settings quite quickly and then follow them for a term to take the exam then we go back to free work.

• Like 3

My DD used to do NATD tap and some NATD ballet alongside the RAD ballet she still learns. I think that the NATD tap was more 'showy' than the ISTD tap she subsequently did (and it seemed more difficult grade by grade?) and the NATD ballet was Russian based but reminded me of the RAD exams I did myself many moons ago; they were asked the meaning of the ballet terms from their first exam onwards and I don't think there was any free movement or character work in the grades. Very nice set dances, eg one which I think was a 'Red Riding Hood' dance, with appropriate facial expressions of surprise, horror etc expected! I also remember their practising facial expressions showing various emotions in their lessons, but have no idea whether that formed part of the exam.

I confess I am a bit confused; my dd does ISTD modern tap and ballet and she also does RAD ballet at another school. To this point I am clear, however I notice that the certificates that she receives for the ISTD syllabus say IDTA on them. I know what the letters stand for but I don't know what the difference is between ISTD and IDTA-is one the examining board and the other the syllabus and if this is the case what is RAD-the board or the syllabus?

Thanks everyone

ISTD and IDTA are two separate bodies with their own teachers/syllabi and examiners etc, so I think there must be some confusion.

i.e. if the certificates say IDTA then they would be awarded for work studied and performed according to the IDTA syllabus and be examined by an IDTA examiner. Or vice versa...with no cross-over.

RK

Hi RK

Have just had another look at certificates and I am muddling up those awarded for 'championships'- which are run by IDTA and the exam certificates (ISTD) my mistake-at least I am clear now! Many thanks

swe