Yes - it was shown on TV (possibly Sky) some year's ago and I recorded it.  The opening in the factory is very strong.  Giant mechanical figures & smoke actually made me think of the Terminator movies!!!  Some very inventive "drill" movements for the workers at that point too.  The rest as far as I remember (must watch it again) is also good - what one would expect from the choreographer Ratmansky whose career has gone from strength to strength in recent years.  Shostakovich is also one of my favourite composers.

• Like 2

The best description of this ballet was made by Dmitry Shostakovich himself:

“The plot is of vital importance here. There was an engine, then it packed up (extensive wear problem). Then it was repaired (amortisation problem). Then they all dance around the new engine. Apotheosis. All this fills three acts...”

The composer didn't live long enough to see Ratmanasky's production.

Edit: the last line added.

Edited by Amelia

The whole ballet is available on a Bel Air Classiques DVD recorded at the Bolshoi in 2006.

The principals were Anastasia Yatsenko, Andrei Merkuriev, Denis Savin and Morikhiro Iwata

The scene in 'The Boozer' features a very young Natalia Osipova.

It's a bit silly (especially Act 3)  but we love it!

• Like 2

Years ago, Yuro Grigorovitch was also choreographing a ballet also called The Bolt. He is shown working on it with the Bolshoi in a video documentary dating back to the 1980s, I think.

I believe he was choreographing it for Mukhamedov.  After he left it was shelved and the idea never revived.  I really enjoyed the Ratmansky version, though I can understand why it hasn't been exported.