The Royal Albert Hall and food.

Pups_mum

I'm taking my husband to a concert at the Royal Albert Hall in June, to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. To complete the present I want to book a meal somewhere before the concert but being a country bumpkin who rarely travels to the capital I am clueless. I see there are several restaurants within the RAH itself and wondered if anyone would recommend one of these? Otherwise could anyone suggest anywhere reasonably close.I hadn't thought of any particular type of food, so all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for any advice.

My son took his daughter to her first grownup prom concert last year and they dined very well in one of the Albert Hall restaurants. She was equally impressed with the concert and the food. I know they prebooked a table, but don't know which of the restaurants.

The problem with the RAH is that there's very little in the way of eateries in the immediate vicinity, and the ones there get very booked up. South Kensington may be a better bet, and is probably only 10 minutes' walk from the Hall. I *believe* people have spoken highly of a vegetarian - I think - place down Exhibition Road (no. 55? Can't remember its name). Unfortunately, most of the time I'm at the RAH is for Promming, and that's incompatible with dining out. They revamped the restaurants recently, and the last time I went into one of them I got a real headache from the decor. Was it the Elgar Room?

I think last time we went to the RAH (John Barry Memorial Concert) we had Tesco Clubcard reward vouchers for Prezzo so booked a table at the little Prezzo in Kensington High Street and had a slow walk afterwards to the RAH.

I have spent ages walking up and down Kensington Gore looking for places to eat over the years. Nothing is handy! I would go for somewhere inside RAH if I were you. Some savvy London Anaesthetist friends introduced me to Pizza on the Park, but sadly it appears to have closed down.

Have a lovely trip!

I've eaten a number of times in the Cafe Consort and the food is good but it is very much a cafe atmosphere. I also ate in the Elgar Room a few years ago but it looks like that has been 'modernised' to an upmarket bistro. I haven't tried the Coda restaurant but it seems that has replaced the Elgar Room as a proper restaurant. Hope you and your husband enjoy it, whichever one you end up choosing.