Elmhurst School for Dance graduate destinations

bluebell

Hardly any of this year's graduates have secured professional contracts.One boy has Romanian National, another Serbia and a third Alberta I think.One girl has BRB .As far as I know that is all the classical contracts.Another of the boys has an apprenticeship with Northern.One girl has Lion King.That's all I know of.Been very bad year for Elmhurst.

I thought some had contracts with Estonia and some Ireland?

Jane you may be correct about Estonia-one boy got either Serbia or Estonia not sure which-he replaced an Elmhurst boy who went there last year.The Ireland contract is only for a 3 month tour of Swan Lake and is for the blonde boy who danced in Two Pigeons.

The summer show was fantastic.Loads of ballet and contemporary with a dash of jazz.Only down-side for me was the excess length of the flamenco.Too noisy in a small theatre and done so much better by spanish dancers!

The show was a real mixture of styles ! I think that the flamenco was a lengthy piece as they had joined together years 10, 11 and the 6th form. So no one year group missed out ! My dd is going into year 9 and I love watching the older year groups as it boosts my confidence that she is most definitely in the right school ! I don't believe you can judge a school too harshly on its graduates employment record ! It's like in my profession, one year qualifies and there are plentiful jobs, another year later and there aren't any !! Doesn't mean that year are rubbish !! The world changes year on year ! And 6 months down the line who knows where they go ! You rarely step into a dream job straight from school ! I saw a passion and love of dance ! A talented group of young people stepping out into the world ! Good luck to them x

• Like 9

Well said Cotes du rhone! I personally think Elmhurst are lucky to have their Flamenco faculty and experience the authentic style. The musicians are on stage with the kids and it would be easy to imagine oneself on a hot summer evening in Spain as the sun goes down. It is a richer school for it. Yes sophika9899 there was a mixture but the sixth form mostly did classical and the current year 11 going into 6.1 next year are outstanding so no need to worry. I hope the grads don't read this forum as I imagine they are fighting tooth and nail for contracts right now ( those who haven't already secured one). It has only been days since they graduated and they all have a fight ahead of them whether they have contracts or not this is the reality of the world they have chosen and good luck to them, I wish them all the best.

• Like 7

As a parent of a child in this graduate year I agree with some of what you say.It has been a tough year but RBS have done extremely well.It is very difficult to get ADs to travel to Birmingham when there is an excess of talent in London.This means massive expense for parents of graduate years to pay for travel all over the world even as far as Australia with often no contracts at the end.This years 6.3s are a massively talented group and I am sure they will all do well but it is enormously disappointing for those who have been auditioning continuously since last October and who still have nothing.It is a task which they have to undertake alone and it is not easy at 18.

• Like 5

Completely agree with cotes du rhone. My advice to a graduate who has not immediately got a contract and has done the audition circuit would be, get a job, any job continue ballet classes locally (if your parents will still have you !), go and do pro classes in London at weekends or wherever possible, save up for summer schools, 'keep going' (obviously there is a time where you have to draw the line, but not yet..) It is possible to be offered a contract a year or more after finishing school.... I know. x

• Like 5

Some companies recruit freelance dancers for some of their productions. I'm not just thinking of ENB and its big in-the-round productions. I assume that all graduates looking for work will regularly look at the Dance Europe website where a lot of jobs are advertised.

• Like 1