Ballet/contemporary

stardancer

Hi my dd auditioned for a contemporary school in Manchester ,and last week received an email, to say ,my dd is a worthy candidate for the course,a very talented young dancer,and they had debated for some time,but she is to classical ,her ballet is very strong,and although most of the dancers that day did ballet,my. dds was on another level,and they feel that this would show to much in the other style of dance.

Then they went on to recommend my dd trying for northern, or the royal ballet school,and if in the future she decides she has a passion for contemporary instead ot ballet, please get Intouch .

I always thought both styles together make a beautiful art,why have you got to choose one or the other

This is just the opinion of one school.  Why not try auditioning for Rambert,  London Contemporary Dance School or Trinity Laban Conservatoire next year?  There are several threads on how different classical schools seem to look for different things, and the same happens in the Contemporary world.  I know students who gained places at one of these schools yet didn't even make waiting list at others!

• Like 2

Are you talking about an associate type scheme here or full time training?  I thought London contemporary dance & Trinity Laban were for 18+ and I thought your DD was younger.  Northern School of Contemporary Dance in Leeds is another that takes for full time courses at 18 but they do have various programs for teenagers so it could be one to look into.  Pas de Quatre is spot on though with the advice to audition for other places as it is, as she says, only the opinion of one school.

• Like 3

Plus it does depend on the type of contemporary they were doing; very classical dancers can look absolutely beautiful doing more neoclassical or lyrical Contemporary, but have a little more trouble getting "down into the ground" enough for other work. I do think though that these days even the most classical of Ballet students have to get to grips with Contemporary as it shows versatility - and of course more and more Contemporary is making its way into the repertoire of Ballet companies.

• Like 5

Hi dancersmum yes it was for an associate school.

Hi spannerandpony it was the none lyrical contemporary,as my dd does ballet she thought it would be nice to compliment a little contemporary ,as we thought dancers if possible should be versatile.

Maybe they are right in thinking this school is not suited for my dd, as I do not feel at this age there should be a choice between dancers,I do admire any dancer who takes the courageous decision to embrace all styles of dance,and try something new.

• Like 2

Hi stardancer.  My DD has just been accepted on the CAT scheme at Northern School of Contemporary Dance and the lessons include ballet as well as contemporary, choreography etc.  They have also encouraged her to continue with her ballet in her local dance school.

The two styles are intertwined, not mutually exclusive, and Northern are happy for her to combine both. Perhaps the school in question needs to assess it's thinking.

Good look with whatever you decide to do.

• Like 2

Stardancer, try to find a way for your dd to cultivate both her ballet & contemporary if she is strong in both, as it can surely only be to her advantage in the long run. Unless of course, she has a passion one way or the other. I've lost count of how many times I've heard "versatility". I would echo applying to somewhere like Rambert, where equal emphasis is placed on ballet & contemporary. Alternatively, whilst RBS, ENBS, Elmhurst etc are classical ballet led, in 6th form they all train in contemporary too.

• Like 2

As Pas de Quatre says, this is just one school's opinion - and what a high opinion they have of your DD's ballet, Stardancer! They haven't closed the door and have said she should apply in future if she decides that contemporary rather than ballet is her passion and they have also recommended that she auditions for highly classical courses including the RBS - she must have been very impressive at audition ballet-wise! Perhaps they just wanted to ensure that if your DD's passion is for ballet, she maximizes every opportunity in this field by auditioning as recommended at RBS. She must have the physique and classical talent for this in their opinion.

If however your DD is passionate about contemporary and would rather not pursue the very classical route they clearly think she has a good chance of pursuing, why not call them to discuss the situation? They have already said that she should go back to them if contemporary is her preferred option, so perhaps you could do just that. Even if you just want to chat about their recommendations for your DD, it sounds to me as though this is a school which is doing its best to recommend what it believes may be a better training system for your DD, ie a very classical ballet training with the emphasis at this stage on ballet rather than contemporary - but they may be wrong about your DD's aspirations and preferences. If it were me I would call them just to chat through their opinion and to seek their expertise whilst letting the, know what DD wants to do.

Which contemporary dance school in Manchester was it Stardancer? Was it The Lowry CAT?

I think as people have said in this thread and others, versatile dancers are necessary for the current dance workforce.

However the training pathways for a classical dancer and contemporary dancers are very different (Rambert excepted of course which offers equal training in both and can be accessed from 16 until early 20's).

Not sure how old your dd is but if ballet is her passion then let her pursue this, contemporary is best pursued in early teens once they have been through puberty and technique and core strength are sound.

Nice to hear such positive feedback though..

I had a problem similar to this. I have just been a accepted into yorkshire young dancers CAT programme at NSCD but sadly turned it down as it would mean having to stop a lot of ballet. I also am auditioning for schools (post 16) next year and so I feel I need to stick with my classical training especially as going to NSCD would mean me giving up my place at northern ballet. I was gutted as I felt like I had just lost a massive opportunity but hopefully it will be the right decision :/ I wish there was a CAT programme that was both ballet and contemporary equally. Surly this would help prepare young dancers for auditions as more and more vocational schools are calling for ballet AND contemporary.

• Like 2

Hi everyone,thank you for all your help,my dd is 15 and wanted to try contemporary ,something new to challenge her,and stretching classes,as well as meeting new people, it is always nice to open a new door and enjoy the adventure it brings.

Most of the schools take contemporary ,even if she takes the classical route ,which she hopes to do ,contemporary will be a class she will have to take.

I think I did not like there attitude ballet or contemporary should not be a choice at 15 embracing both would make a very strong dancer,

I was told by a few people not to audition my dd as they do not like classical dancer,s who use this course to top up there ballet.then leave half way during the course,as there were a lot last year,so that left them with a sour taste in there mouths for ballet dancers.

The good news is she will be going to the york scholars in September,and learn contemporary there alternative weeks, so that is positive,

But for now classical all the way for my dd,

• Like 1

Hi stardancer sorry your dd got a no for a contemporary dance programme... But I'm surprised that this was their response as my my dd has just been offered CAT contemporary and during conversations/interview they mentioned that she was a strong classical dancer, if they were to offer her a place it would only be if they had space in a higher level ballet class within their programme and that would be the only way to make progress!!! They went on to say a strong solid ballet technique would indeed support the contemporary dance training and they totally support students keeping up their vocational training with their local dance teachers as long as days/times don't clash... Good luck finding something that suits your dd ;)

• Like 4

Hi charlie4dancing

Congratulations for your dd in getting a place on the cat, your dd sounds very talented what a little star after months of being ill.

I wish my dd had auditioned at the same cat as your dd, as they would of appreciated a talented classical dancer like your dd.

Does your dd want to be a contemporary dancer or classical, as my dd had to make a choice,which is very wrong.

All the best to you and your lovely dd