Out with the old and in with the new

Thecatsmother

Given the time of year, I thought a thread on what you would like to leave behind in 2013 and what you would wish for 2014 might be a fitting topic.

I would like to leave behind pain from my injury, legal action hassle re my injury, my walking plaster, crutches, fears of surgery, memories of the explosion/fire in flat opposite mine and abusive bosses.

In return, I would like 2014 to bring happiness, relief from suffering to those in mental and physical pain, a chance to get back to dancing, much laughter, a bit of sunshine sometime between June and September, the companionship of friends/family and the opportunity to make a difference in life.

• Like 10

My wish is for peace.

Peace between nations and neighbors, between those who are governed and those who govern.

Peace between those who feel marginalized and those who guard the margins and inner peace for those who are at war with themselves.

Personally, I hope for the continuing peace of sharing my time and space with those I love - especially the man who sits next to me - and the health to do so.

I never wanted worlds to conquer - just a quiet life.

Oh yes - some dark chocolates along the way. :)

• Like 3

I shall try and keep my old and new low key, and (hopefully) realistic.

Out will go all the clutter I have been keeping for the last few years:

- Do I really need to hang on to my university coursework books that have remained on the shelves unopened for the last 20 years? 

- Do I really have the space for all those elegant books given to me by family and friends which contain wonderful photos and very little else? 

- Will I ever get around to trying out the complicated recipes in those cookery books written by named chefs, when I seem to stick to a basic repertoire of easy cook, simple dishes?

-  And do I need to keep vast manuals of various computer programmes that I will probably never use again.

The answer is an emphatic No.

In will come a new ruthlessness - No more hoarding, no more crammed spaces, no more "this might come in useful one day".  Instead, I will have calm, clear, clutter free spaces with one or two striking pictures on the new, bookshelf free walls.

Well, that's the plan, anyway!

• Like 3

I would just like to wish everyone here a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and to thank you all for your advice and friendship. I would like to thank Bruce particularly for starting and keeping up this wonderful site.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Computer viruses, for one.  One of the things on my "to do" list over Christmas is to get my printer at home reinstated. 

Did not work :(.  Has not worked :(.  Am still printer-less (and more importantly, Print Spooler-less, which is what appears to be causing the problem).  Spent hours on it this afternoon.