British ballet students training abroad

aileen

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have travelled and lived in different countries, it has been fantastic and i am so glad to have experienced it.It definatly changes you and makes you see the world differently.I would highly recomend it expecally for students.I would definatly consider training abroad for my dd when the time comes.

I do see what you're saying Aileen, but I don't think these days people believe the UK schools are better than those in other countries, but some of them are certainly in with the best in the world - two pieces of evidence - that international students of great ability want to come and train at them, and that their graduates get jobs in some of the best companies in the world.

I suppose sometimes people can be overly-patriotic, if that's possible, and think that we're the best at everything (but I'm sure that happens in all nations).

• Like 3

JulieW, I think that the generous funding available may also have something to do with the large number of international students training here. Students from poorer countries will generally qualify for means-tested funding. I remember reading an interview with a (non-British) graduate of the RBS. He had wanted to train in France but there was no funding available because he was not a French national and so he came to the RBS instead.

I have to disagree with that as schooling in France in the top schools is free wether you are French or not. All you have to pay is boarding and social security i.e. about 500€ a month... And you can get help if you are part of the EU, exactly as in the UK.

I have to disagree with that as schooling in France in the top schools is free wether you are French or not. All you have to pay is boarding and social security i.e. about 500€ a month... And you can get help if you are part of the EU, exactly as in the UK.

For some non-EU nationals, €500 a month could be a HUGE amount of money!!

Aileen, That's a good question and I have wondered myself... I even went to check on the POB rules to see if you had to be French to apply and the answer is no. As for the POB school, you have to be under 13 to get in. After that age, it's not impossible but it is through special agreement by the director so it makes it really difficult.

The POB gives a priority of audition to the students of the school but if they haven't filled their quota, everybody can apply...

The school is extremely linked to the company and trains dancers to dance in the company and I don't think it's necessarily the case in the RBS.

I think the kids who apply to the school are mainly French because at the age of 8-13, very few foreigners speak French... Maybe the school chooses French kids over foreigners, I don't know...

I think that the poor foreign students are fully funded, whether by the UK government (I'm not making a political point), scholarships offered by the schools themselves or bodies like the Rudolf Nureyev Foundation or whatever it's called. I read somewhere that Sergei Polunin benefitted from funding from that organisation.

Afab, I think that you may have provided the answer to my question. In the UK most international students enter the schools at 16 whereas in France it is very difficult to enter the POB School after 13. Is it not the case that there's no boarding provision for younger children? The only way that a foreign national could go to the School is if the family was already living in France (like you) or moved to France or found someone for the child to board with.

There is boarding for all age groups at the POB school but not at the other top schools taking kids from the age of 8 or 9. The National Conservatoire has boarding but they take students over 14 only. The other thing is that even with boarding, schools close on Friday night and students must go elsewhere for the week-end hence the obligation of having a contact person in Paris... All that must discourage foreign families, I agree with you...

Nope, we don't have the tradition of sending kids to boarding schools here. And when one does, even in a normal academic school, the school closes at the week-end! It is cheaper to study dance here but way more complicated to organize for families...

Afab, do you mind me asking where you live in France? And what's the latest prediction on the French Presidential election? There's been quite a lot of coverage of it here in the UK. Is Le Flaneur (hope I've got this right) still expected to win comfortably?

Aileen, "le Flaneur"... that's quite funny! Who's Le Flaneur? Do you mean Hollande, also known here as "Flanby" (a sort of crème caramel!)???

Yes, he's expected to win comfortably and I'm half answering this forum and following news on Twitter and foreign press at the same time as we cannot know the results officially until 8 tonight!

We live in the North of France near Lille but we are moving somewhere around Paris this summer as the best dance schools are there and DH actually already works there...

DD1 has been accepted to the school of her choice :) and DD2 is trying POB school on Wednesday :unsure:

Fingers crossed for her! She has been accepted in all the good schools but POB is the ultimate one so the pressure is on...

• Like 3

Afab, oh dear, I fear that I've said something rude. If so, apologies. I'm going to look the word up in my French dictionary. Yes, I mean "Flanby". I know that the nickname means something like creme caramel. Well done to DD1 and Bonne Chance (I'm trying out my school-girl French again!) to DD2.

Aileen, you didn't say anything rude at all. Flaner means walking leisurely... Le Flaneur would quite easily be a good nickname for Hollande who took his time to get where he is now. Much nicer name than Flanby anyway...

Merci for DD1 & DD2...

Back to Twitter... Apparently, Hollande would have won!

• Like 1

Afab, I'm afraid you've opened up a deluge of France related questions!

Can I ask you if you know anything of the Rosella Hightower school in Cannes? I think it's also called something like 'Ecole Superior de danse' or something like that.

I can't edit my last post as I'm on an iPhone, but just wanted to add that I've stopped being lazy and I've looked up the proper name of the school. It's 'l'Ecole Supérieure de Danse de Cannes Rosella Hightower'.

• Like 2

Regattah, the rumour about The Rosella Hightower school is that it used to be a fantastic school 15-20 years ago, then it went downhill but it's trying to go up again. A good enough school but not one I would consider at the moment for my DDs. I also heard some complains about the kids not having enough to eat there... I think the boarding school stays open at the weekend as it's very international... Lovely setting... and a pool...

I hope that helps...

Note: this is my personal opinion based on what I heard or read, I could be wrong...

Thanks, afab.

It's a shame to hear this! There is an international ballet forum site that only seems to mention POB and Rosella Hightower (and Princess Grace, although that's not really France) as the pre-pro standard schools in France. It may mention others, but I haven't seen them. Is there a definitive list of pre-pro/vocational schools in France?

I'm disappointed that Rosella Hightower's reputation is currently good. They do open classes during the summer and I was planning on signing DD up for some. Maybe I will anyway, just to see....

• 7 years later...
On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2012 at 17:15, afab said:

There is boarding for all age groups at the POB school but not at the other top schools taking kids from the age of 8 or 9. The National Conservatoire has boarding but they take students over 14 only. The other thing is that even with boarding, schools close on Friday night and students must go elsewhere for the week-end hence the obligation of having a contact person in Paris... All that must discourage foreign families, I agree with you...

Hello afab

Are you still living in Paris, and somehow your dd.s are connected to ballet?

My DD is studying in CNSM now and we have some concerns in our minds.

Hello Derin's Mom, Afab hasn't logged in since April so you may be waiting a while for a response unless anyone else has experience.

You could try messaging her - that usually generates an email to the person you are messaging, which may be picked up faster.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Derin's Mom said:

Hello afab

Are you still living in Paris, and somehow your dd.s are connected to ballet?

My DD is studying in CNSM now and we have some concerns in our minds.

Hi Derin’s Mom, we live in the uk now but I still have connection with ballet I France and with people at CNSM. My daughters are both professional dancers now or rather trying to be but they are not strict ballet anymore. Actually, my eldest has left the world of ballet altogether as she is a contemporary dancer but is studying to become a dance producer now. My second one is a jazz dancer but with a strong ballet and hip hop (!!) base now... And for people who followed me over the years, DD3 is now at Drama school which she started a month ago...

Anyway, back to your question, how can I help?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Hello Derin's Mom, Afab hasn't logged in since April so you may be waiting a while for a response unless anyone else has experience.

You could try messaging her - that usually generates an email to the person you are messaging, which may be picked up faster.

Still lurking, logging in when I am needed like maybe now... Hope you’re well Jan...

• Like 1