Why do you ballet dance?

Iloveballet2804

I love it. I want to be able to do something beautiful and graceful. I love dance music, I love dance wear and can spend hours on these websites. I love feeling I have learned to do something I couldn't do before. I love ballet history. I love the theatre and rehearsals. Shall I stop? :)

• Like 4

When I went along with a friend to her ballet class at 7-8 years old as soon as I saw the lovely movement to the beautiful music I knew it was for me and have been hooked on and off ever since and I'm definitely old enough to be your granny!!

Actually not quite on theme but related I do hate it when a particular nice adage say has been set in class and the the music is "somewhere over the rainbow" or " when Irish eyes are smiling" Now there's nothing wrong with these two songs both have their places but I do like something more satisfying with a nice meaty adage like Shostakovitch 2nd piano concerto slow movement.......well I Know a bit over the top to expect that but do you know what I mean? At least something which reflects more what you are doing.....on the other hand in my case more what you hope you are doing!!!

• Like 4

I find it so hard to put into words why I love to dance. It's a lot to do with feeling different dynamics, expressing music, emotions, styles etc. I'm not a naturally expressive person but when I dance my face comes alive, my whole body expresses the style or character of the music be it gentle, lyrical, melancholy, sassy, powerful etc

I also like ballet particularly because it is hard! While you can never be perfect at anything, ballet technique is so codified that there is always something to work at, even attending a basic class can be a thorough workout if you use it to focus on a certain thing.

Finally, there's that wonderful feeling of moving through space! Again, I can't put it into words very eloquently but it doesn't matter if its ballet, jazz, lyrical, contemporary, musical theatre etc etc even just putting my arms out and spinning! I don't care what I look like but the feeling of filling space, moving and travelling is exhilarating. I could get really contemporary-ish/ science-y and talk about 'playing' with the different forces eg the driving force from your body working with or against gravity/weight , and resistance, and how it feels going with or against momentum... But I won't ;-)

• Like 3