Surgical spirit on our childrens feet ?? Should we ??

Lifeafterballet

From a pharmaceutical point of view the constant exposure to the inhalation of the fumes might be harmful . I have always used surgical spirit which has added anti bacterial/ fungal properties , to harden skin and keep athletes foot away , but plenty of modern contemporary dance in bare feet has now produces lots of hard skin so I'm not finding it needed so much !

Anyway, to answer the question about *surgical* spirit, I don't wipe dd's feet with it every day as her skin is hardening up on its own from contemporary and pointework. I did used to wipe her heels, ends of the toes, around the toenails and certainly dab it on to blisters.

Now she just wipes around the big toenails with it once she's showered after dance. It's a brilliant antiseptic and she's never has any ill effect from it as long as she washes her hands after using it.

• Like 1

Thank you for the edit ! Less cotes du rhone I think is required !! :) I was a little alarmed when this practice was first suggested. But dd tells me a few girls she knows dab a bit on from time to time ! I was hoping to let nature take its course ! Dd has never had a problem with her feet but with the holidays and the amount of swimming she is doing it might be an idea ! Seems strange I found it unnerving as in my job I am constantly rubbing alcohol gel into my hands !! Thank you for the advice x

• Like 1

I still use it every day after showering.  To say it hardens the skin might put people off, what it does is strengthen the skin.  I wipe a swab of cotton wool impregnated with surgical spirit between my toes, to avoid infections and cracking of the skin.  If I don't - with teaching several hours a day - the skin soon plays up.  However, as I said, it doesn't harden the skin between my toes, which is still just as soft and elastic as it should be.

• Like 1

I bought some Surgical Spirit about a year ago because someone told me it was good for helping dancer's feet when they start pointe work.  It went in the cupboard and I forgot all about it.  Then on Saturday, my DD was learning a new tap solo and wore her tap shoes with no tights for an hour!!!  Yep, you guessed it - 2 great big blisters, one on each heel :angry: !  

The absolute worst timing as she's got her Irish National on Sunday at All England Finals and goes up to York on Saturday for a week's dancing!  

Luckily, they're healing quite nicely but seeing this thread made me go get the Surgical Spirit out of the cupboard and rub DD's feet with it especially the heels!  :rolleyes:

So thanks Cote du Rhone for starting the thread and to spannerandpony and pas de quatre for the confirmation  :)

Oh and apologies for all the smilies - got a bit carried away!

• Like 3

Ahhh...luckily the skin is healing nicely and not broken now - it was very effective at removing the sticky plaster marks around the heels as well.  

The only time I can remember using it before was when I had my ears pierced about 30 years ago! Ha Ha!

• Like 2

Dd's big toenails have a very slight tendency to ingrow; fortunately not enough to need any surgical procedures but after a lot of pointework they can get red and sore and look a bit manky. The Podiatrist/Chiropodist recommended soaking feet in salt water and then wiping with surgical spirit instead of antiseptic cream as the cream can apparently keep infection in by "clogging up" the area. The surgical spirit doesn't do that.

• Like 1