Scottish Ballet School - BA Modern Ballet

Dexter169

Hello - I'm a new member on the forum and wondered if anyone can comment or give advice on the Scottish Ballet School.  My niece has been accepted in September to commence her BA in Modern Ballet in Glasgow but has also been accepted at Central in London.  Its a difficult decision for her and we do not know anyone else who has been to either schools. She is 17 and has just finished her first year of A Levels in Spanish and German - she would like to continue at least one of these in her own time but again information on how she could do this seems hard to find because the system is different in Scotland.  She is favouring Scotland but would like to read anyones comments if anyone has been or may also be going..

Thanks for any help.

Dexter169

Hi Tulip

Have just been trying to read re Central but can't  find much on Scottish Ballet, my niece is English so fee's will have to be paid any way - I think she is favouring Scotland mainly from what she noted and experienced at auditions but I thinks its a bit daunting being so far away from home for the first time (lives in Lincolnshire)!  her sibling is already at White Lodge so my sister may have one at either end of the country!

Thanks

The BA in Modern Ballet is delivered by the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland (RSC). It has a close association with Scottish Ballet but it is not a Scottish Ballet School. I would agree with Tulip that there is information about both schools on the forum but less about RSC as it has only had one year of graduates so far.

I think your niece's potential difficulty is continuing her A level course. The Scottish equivalent courses are highers and run over one academic year. I am not sure of any Scottish institution that delivers A level courses other than perhaps independent schools.

In addition to everything else, look at where the student have gone after graduation and the type of jobs eg classical, musical theatre etc, this will be a good indication of how good the training is. Good luck to your niece on her exciting journey.

A levels can be continued as an online course at either school with online tutors.

This indecision is preventing someone from being offered a place at either school.

Edited by Encouraged

I have one in Scotland and one going to White Lodge. Dd went to Central as an associate, was going to audition this year for Central but decided to stay at Ballet West in Scotland to do her BA Hons as they do a lot more ballet and do tours from 1st year. The best thing is to have a list with two columns with goods and not so goods things about the school and area. Thats what we did and Scotland won.

• Like 1

I totally agree Tulip this is a very important decision but it has to be made.

The results were out 8 weeks ago. I have a friend who has a dd going to Scotland and my dd is going to Central in September. In the last few weeks I have arranged & visited accommodation,  researched online A levels and returned the appropriate forms that needed to be returned by the 31st May. If I had been in your situation I would have revisited both schools and perhaps arranged a trial day and then let my dd decide where she wanted to go

There maybe someones dd out there whose ONLY offer of a place is on the Waiting List , who is having to cope with the pressure of taking their GCSE's and who is probably praying every night for that place to be offered. Please make your decision soon and make someones dds dream come true. :)

• Like 1

I don't think it's for us to judge. They're entitled to take their time to make the right decision for themselves and we don't know how long Dexter has known about both offers anyway. Your advice is great Encouraged but some of your comments are rather uncalled for.

• Like 3

Thank you to all for your feedback.  I was only seeking further information/comment from anyone who may have had a daughter at either of the two schools, sometimes its interesting to hear from anyone first hand.  My niece auditioned along with everyone else and I am sure won her place based on her talent, passion, ballet education so far in her life (every weekend attending both Northern Ballet and Royal Ballet classes over 2 hours travelling from her home for I cannot remember how many years.

Dear encouraged, she has made her decision by the requested date when her research was complete and she felt happy with the decision she made.  As I am sure you are aware, when a place becomes vacant it is undoubtably offered to the next in line.  I am pleased to learn that you have achieved everything so quickly for your 'dd'.  However, you are not aware of my nieces circumstances whose parents may not have had this opportunity, good luck to your daughter I hope she enjoys her time just like my niece will at her chosen place.

This was my first forum expedition - I can quite see why people can be put off by negative feedback when only seeking help, however, I will join in again and perhaps we can help someone else with our own experience that may be in a similar position.

Regards.

• Like 8

Please dont be put off, dexter169. There is so much advice to be had from so many experienced folks on here and we (mostly lol) try to help and encourage each other. Some things can also sound more harsh in print than they are mean to be. Good luck with your niece and her decision.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Hi

Just as 'veryskint' above confirms my neice is only 17 and she has been able to get the student loan as well.  She also applied for numerous grants as it all seems to be means tested which is good.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I see on RSC's website that you can start the BA in Modern Ballet at 16, it just made me wonder about funding. Can you get a student loan for this at 16 as you would starting any degree at 18?

From my recent research on dance training from 16+ if its a degree course or HND style then you can receive the usual Student Finance which 18 year olds are able to claim to cover course costs.