back to ballet after a gap of few years

Siobhan

Hi,

I have danced ballet for many years before I had to stop as the class time clashed with work/uni. I also wanted a break I suppose after dancing for so many years. After a 3 year gap I have joined my old ballet class again as I missed being doing pointe and the class so much ( the other girls who left with me have come back too which is a lovely surprise :) clear.png). The trouble is after not dancing for a few years I don't feel as flexible as I once was and my turn out is a bit rusty. I have always found pirouettes difficult and even more so now. Has anyone got any tips about going back to ballet and how they felt? As much as I enjoy being back, have I left it too late to go back? I feel I have forgotten most of what I knew! :/ Thanks :)

• Like 1

Siobhan there is a similar topic on this forum still ongoing called Going Back to Ballet if you have a read there should give you some ideas but as to your question I would say no you haven't left it too late! and keep persevering. As you get older you will lose some flexibility and one stiffens up more quickly after breaks for hols etc but this should not put you off!! Ive been back twice now. First I gave up when 15 then took up at 21 till about 42. And now two years ago took up again in my sixties.....and am loving it even though I know I'll never jump as well as I used to and if I can aim now for a leg at 60-70 (would love 90) I'd be happy! It takes time for the muscle memory to come back if you've already done the basics but it will. As for pirouettes.....well that's another story!! Some days they're there and then some days you cant even pull one off!! There is some talk about this on the other forum. As you get a bit stronger again you may need to back up with another class as ballet is very difficult to progress in, on one class a week. You said "as much as I enjoy being back" and there's the key really if you enjoy it that's what you need to keep connecting with! Happy dancing and definitely don't give up yet!

• Like 3

Pirouettes would make a wonderful discussion - there is much to be said about them.......

It is never too late to come back.  The important thing to remember is that whatever the size in the gap of years you are not the same person you were when you stopped.  That's true in life.  So, don't compare to what you did previously - be a new person.

And just enjoy it.

• Like 4

Siobhan just wanted to check something. Are you doing ballet purely for pleasure or were you thinking you might want to come back to it more seriously and not just as a hobby? Anjuli_Bai yes a discussion about pirouettes would be great!!

Siobhan just wanted to check something. Are you doing ballet purely for pleasure or were you thinking you might want to come back to it more seriously and not just as a hobby? Anjuli_Bai yes a discussion about pirouettes would be great!!

So...what shall we do?  Shall I start a new thread and begin with an article I wrote on pirouettes?  Or would you - or anyone else -  like to start a new thread with some questions, problems, etc.?

So...what shall we do?  Shall I start a new thread and begin with an article I wrote on pirouettes?  Or would you - or anyone else -  like to start a new thread with some questions, problems, etc.?

Love the idea of a new thread specifically on Pirouette's, it will be conspicuous for others to see and contribute. If its not started by this evening I will be happy to start it, and get some of Anjuli,s wonderful and detailed advice. But must shoot off now to my Awesome abs class (Sunday Morning).

I would be happy to start a new thread about pirouettes.....I don't know...pirouettes in the hot seat? .....there's just one snag....I don't know how to start a new thread and at mo can't find any info on how to do this....this is the first forum Ive ever used so some excuse?!!

• Like 1

Thank you all for your support :) I will look at the other topic on going back to ballet. Pirouette discussion would help me greatly! The main problem I have is I know what to but doing them is a big problem! I think it is my technique as mine have never been that good.

Anjuli_Bai- Thank you for your kind words. I have been comparing myself to what I used to be able to do and what I can do now.. I guess I half assumed I would fall back into ballet easily, when this hasn't been the case.

Lin MM- Ballet is a purely a hobbie, I am not the right height or shape for anything serious. Although I like it as only a hobbie as then I will never get bored of dancing :)

Hi Siobhan well I know you'll find this hard to believe ....me being an oldie and all...but one thing I've found this time round is that I feel much freer to express the movement even if technique a bit to be desired! I used to be much more concerned about the technical aspects when younger which inhibited expression more but now although I am still interested in technique, it's more from just an enabling position so I can dance the enchainements with some degree of musicality etc. (so I can have my own private "Giselle" or "Swan" moments!!!) So I think it's as Anjuli said this new comeback could give you a new experience of ballet you may not have had before!!

• Like 1

I would be happy to start a new thread about pirouettes.....I don't know...pirouettes in the hot seat? .....there's just one snag....I don't know how to start a new thread and at mo can't find any info on how to do this....this is the first forum Ive ever used so some excuse?!!

Hi Lin

Just go to the top of the forum "Doing Dance", on the right hand side you will see a black button "Start New Topic", If you havnt started it by this evening, I will start it to get it going.

I went back to ballet after quite a big gap. I had lessons from age 3 up till 18 then stopped until I was about 30 when I met a friend who was keen to start lessons again and I went to lessons in London to begin with then was lucky enough to find a great lesson locally.  I've been going again for the last 10 years with a gap to have my children.  I found it really hard to begin with but then everything came back to me and I've learnt a lot more steps that I never did previously as I was always doing syllabus classes as a child/teenager. I always loved ballet but if it's possible I love my lessons even more now that there is no pressure to learn for specific exams. 

• Like 1

LinMM- Your right, I used to be all about technique and not appreciate the beauty of the routine. Now I have opted not to do exams I feel more relaxed than I ever used to be.

balletfanatic- Thank you for your comment. I also did ballet from age 3 to 18 and then had to stop. I think what I was doing was comparing the old ballet me to the new one. One of my friends who came back to class with me does a dance degree so is a lot more flexible than I will ever be! I was comparing myself to her as well.

• Like 1