Singing auditions for dancers

My husband has been toying with the idea of running an audition technique workshop for dancers who have been asked to sing as part of their audition.

Could I ask a few questions?

Is this something you or your child would be interested in?

What sort of things would you like to see covered?

When would be the best time of year eg summer before auditioning in the autumn, spring the year before you apply etc?

Would you be interested in a one off half/full day session or be able to cover stuff in more depth over one or two weekends.

Or is this something that would not interest you at all/there is already enough out there.

Definitely 14+

School holidays but avoid summer schol weeks (or maybe target part weeks - you know at school on Mon/Tues so pick Thurs/Fri or vice versa)

Also maybe email support for choosing audition songs (big problem atm)

I would love to take part! I cannot sing at all but there are places I am planning on auditioning to that require singing. This is such a good idea! :D 14+ would be good and I would say best time is in the summer term, July/June time because poeple go away for the summer and in september some places already start auditions.. :D

I would agree with a minimum age of 14 (ie school year 10) and the idea of a Sunday.  Summer term before auditioning in the autumn also sounds like the best timing to me and one day workshops - both in terms of cost and parental expectation. To me an audition technique workshop is about learning what is expected in an audition, general guidelines on song choice and tips on conquering nerves etc.  I do wonder if some people would expect to be coming away audition ready with a song chosen for them.  I think your husband would have to be very clear advertising/marketing his workshops so that people were not expecting him to be making decisions for them.   I mean no disrespect to your husband.  I happpen to know he is an excellent teacher.

Sundays look like a good option. I agree about the marketing - it's not his strong point business & marketing!

What's given us the idea is another panicked email (this time from dd's dance teacher) that one if her 16 year olds has a last minute audition for one of the schools where he teaches in 2 weeks time and is panicking about the singibg

Great idea; customer here <waves>

Our biggest issue is choosing songs; based on not being sure exact definition of what is 'musical theatre' is - then choosing what she can sing & finding songs that aren't too popular

With the best will in the world I don't think you can teach sight singing in a one off workshop. It is a skill that us aquired over time alongside a knowledge of music theory. There would be too wide a range of previous experience for a start from someone who plays sn instrument to someone who has no idea what any of the intervals are

• Like 2