Central School of Drama

meadowblythe

I am so proud - eldest non dancing DS who had, shall we say, mixed GCSE results has just been offered a place to study stage management at Central for next September, in a year of record applications for the course and a smaller intake.

That will teach me to sneer at Extended Btec Diplomas - he has, so far, been offered a place everywhere he applied.

Now just a matter of getting DDM for aforementioned Btec but hey ho ..

So I may well be in the interesting position of having two DSs starting degree courses at the same time, despite being 2 school years apart!

Meadowblythe

PS: does anyone know anything about Central (drama, not dance!)

• Like 2

I wish he could help my drama daughter. She was in tears the other day because she can't find a job. She wanted to audition for drama school this year but she needs to save money before she does. She was so upset. She is 22 now and she sees time ticking past :(

I wish he could help my drama daughter. She was in tears the other day because she can't find a job. She wanted to audition for drama school this year but she needs to save money before she does. She was so upset. She is 22 now and she sees time ticking past :(

So difficult Fiz. I believe my cousin did his MA at Central having done his BA at Uni, and literally went for every acting audition. He modelled in his "spare" time and got himself a good agent.

Thank you, Pavlava, I'll suggest it to her. Spanner, she can't afford to study for an MA or she would. She would have to finance it herself and they won't take you if you don't have funds. I am a little tired of hearing dance mums complain about funding. It is difficult for anyone involved in the arts.

I have an acting daughter. She graduated in 2009 and has worked but it is tough. She has done a years tour of Germany going into schools and is currently in Barcelona for 6 months. She has done panto here and toured "Sense and Sensibility"

Also my son is a ballet dancer. He is on yearly contracts at the moment which of course is easier. But many dancers also have to go from contract to contract..

Basically the Arts is so tough. Pay for many actors seems to be even worse than dancers. My daughter is really at the stage of does she keep going or does she get a job that will earn her enough to live.

I don't envy any of them.

Nor do I Julie. :-(

I know my Aunt & Uncle have no money worries and live within an easy commute to Central London, so my cousin lived at home whilst at Central - which helped hugely. It also helps that he's gorgeous looking so was able to model to earn money, but by the same token he works incredibly hard - both at maintaining his physique for modelling but also doing all sorts of temp jobs to earn money.

Parents able to provide financial support are obviously hugely helpful, but just like our dancing children, young actors also need the most incredible work ethic and mental strength to keep on plugging away.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update on non dancing central-school offered son:

Despite the Central offer he's at the moment pretty much decided on Birmingham School of Acting.(he's been fortunate enough to get lots of offers).

I've mixed emotions on this - closer to home, significantly lower living costs BUT so much less prestigious (with apologies to anyone at/from Birmingham, this is an outsiders view).

BUT I made a horrendous mistake myself five years ago when I persuaded dancing son to take a place at a more prestigious vocational school, a choice we will both always bitterly regret.  

And I wish dancing son had just a little more choice for 6th form (and yes I do realise he is fortunate to have received some a very good offer already).

And how much advice can you offer a hormonal 18 year old boy???

Dear Meadowblythe,

If it is of any use, in my work I frequently review students from what was formally known as the 'Conference of Drama Schools'.  I can tell you with certain assurance two things: (i) Whatever else the Central School for Speech and Drama is, it's an administrative NIGHTMARE.  (Were your son to have sensed this, he would have have shown himself to be most astute.)  (ii) Short perhaps of RADA, I don't think it will really matter where he attends.  His job will be to make the most out of whatever he receives himself as he will in truth largely learn from the work of those students surrounding him as much as from any instructor and that is ALWAYS a fluid matter for ANY school/class.  Given the economic prudence this 18 year old has already shown to exercise (a virtue that I fear which will be much demanded in his future life) I think you should be most proud indeed.

I hope that might be of SOME assistance to you.

Cheers, Meunier

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 1