International Dance Day, 29 April

Best wishes to all in this forum today which is International Dance Day!

Celebrated annually on 29 April

International Dance Day - Wikipedia

International Dance Day is a global celebration of dance, created by the Dance Committee of the International Theatre Institute (ITI), the main partner for the performing arts of UNESCO. The event takes place every year on 29 April, which is the anniversary of the birth of Jean-Georges Noverre (1727–1810), who is considered to be the "father" or creator of modern ballet (ie. classical or romantic ballet as we know it today not "Modern Ballet" as this is sometimes confused with contemporary ballet.) The day strives to encourage participation and education in dance through events and festivals held on the date all over the world. UNESCO formally recognize ITI to be the creators and organizers of the event.[1]

• Thanks 1

The Italians are celebrating with the following programmes:l on TV and online:

SWAN LAKE
Svetlana Zakharova and Roberto Bolle, recorded in 2004
10.00 on Rai5

GISELLE
Carla Fracci and Vladimir Vasiliev, filmed in 1972
12.13 on Rai5

DANCER, the documentary movie of Sergei Polunin
streaming on My Movies
https://www.mymovies.it/ondemand/one/movie/16084-dancer/
Along with 4 other dance movies, as reported in La Repubblica

ROBERTO BOLLE hosts an evening of programmes on Rai1 and a radio interview during the day

• Like 2

Quite. I was about to say "can you imagine anything similar happening in the UK?" (or for that matter quite a few other countries), but I see Roberta's beaten me to it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The UK needs a “champion of dance” like Roberto Bolle who has ideas like this and can make things happen.  

A ‘Prof Brian Cox’ of the ballet and wider dance world in Uk 

Edited by FionaM
Add last sentence
  • Like 2

We may not have anything specific for International Dance Day in the UK but all of our companies get involved in World Ballet Day. Also, when you consider all the cinema broadcasts and live free streamed Insight days that the ROH produce that no other company does, I don't think we do too badly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FionaM said:

Prof Brian Cox is bringing his show to the ROH.

PROFESSOR BRIAN COX AND DANIEL HARDING: SYMPHONIC HORIZONS WITH THE BRITTEN SINFONIA

30 JULY–4 AUGUST 2024
Explore the secrets of the universe with Professor Brian Cox and Daniel Harding in this special event combining ground-breaking science with the power of the orchestra.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FionaM said:

The UK needs a “champion of dance” like Roberto Bolle who has ideas like this and can make things happen.  

We've got Dame Darcey Bussell.  I would have thought she would have enough media contacts to try and organise something on the BBC.  

Alternatively, can we have the shows that Italian tv are putting on?  I would be overjoyed to see Carla Fracci in Giselle.

• Like 2

There's no way I'm capable of getting the RAI, but like Fonty I'd absolutely love to see the Fracci Giselle- not least as her partner is the equally great Vladimir Vasiliev, my favourite male dancer ever, who danced Albrecht at the most wonderful performances of Giselle I ever saw, with his wife  Katya Maximova, as guests of the Kirov in Paris. Sublime.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

@Fonty and others, download the RAI app to your tellyvee, install and run a VPN, fire up RAI, and Roberto Bolle and friends will magically appear 🤭

For detailed instructions please DM.

I must admit I have had mixed success with VPNs.  I have tried in Portugal to get the BBC, and we manage to get half a programme before we are hunted down and exposed as the criminals we are.  :)  Even though we have a proper BBC licence.  Not sure how vigilant RAI are.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

There's no way I'm capable of getting the RAI, but like Fonty I'd absolutely love to see the Fracci Giselle- not least as her partner is the equally great Vladimir Vasiliev, my favourite male dancer ever, who danced Albrecht at the most wonderful performances of Giselle I ever saw, with his wife  Katya Maximova, as guests of the Kirov in Paris. Sublime.

If you do a YouTube search there is a flavour of that.

Carla Fracci and Vladimir Vasiliev in Giselle  Channel of goldenidol 

Here, Carla Fracci as Carlotta Grisi and Vladimir Vasiiev as Lucien Petipa recreate the original Giselle pas de deux. It is either the original choreography or choreogaphed to give Vasiliev more camera time. Either way it is charming.

All wreathed in mist and melancholy!

Also, same from Gramilano   Giselle - Carla Fracci and Vladimir Vasiliev which I assume is officially sanctioned so I will post the link. 

https://youtu.be/enrzR5-ThSE?si=vZBJwUJlyEjRSm12

GISELLE, 1841, with Carla Fracci as Carlotta Grisi and Vladimir Vasiliev as Lucien Petipa. In 1987 a two-part television programme called The Ballerinas featured Carla Fracci, with some of the top male dancers of the period, in a series of reconstructions putting various ballets and their interpretors in an historical context. Fracci was an amazingly youthful 51 when she danced these extracts.

Both have many interesting comments under.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

I must admit I have had mixed success with VPNs.  I have tried in Portugal to get the BBC, and we manage to get half a programme before we are hunted down and exposed as the criminals we are.  :)  Even though we have a proper BBC licence.  Not sure how vigilant RAI are.  

...depends on which VPN you use, I believe. One I use for almost everything, the Beeb detects instantly and I barely get a glimpse of John Torode's increasingly creased face.

1 minute ago, FionaM said:

“Celebrate by exploring our curated [read expensive] range of ballet-inspired clothing and collectibles”

Indeed. A kimono flash sale is promoted on the ROH Twitter feed. 

Today's post? This. 

6 hours ago, jmhopton said:

We may not have anything specific for International Dance Day in the UK but all of our companies get involved in World Ballet Day. Also, when you consider all the cinema broadcasts and live free streamed Insight days that the ROH produce that no other company does, I don't think we do too badly.

Hmm.  Other ballet companies of the world do broadcast livestreams of rehearsals.  (La Scala for instance)
AND many ballet companies worldwide participate in World Ballet Day.  (Too many for me to watch all!)
I agree the cinema broadcasts are a wonderful feature of ROH, for both ballet and opera. Not free of course.  
Vienna State Ballet broadcasts FREE livestreams of performances.

As does Munich. 

More dance is additive.  Why not champion all dance on this day too?  Why not have a UK ‘champion of dance’ who actively promotes and gets more dance shown publicly, on TV, in public places, etc.   The thing about Roberto Bolle is that he is both a big star AND he is personally making these events happen in Italy.  Promoting dance to the wider public all around his country with his own tours and with online, TV, etc.  BRAVO 👏 

• Like 3

On 29/04/2024 at 18:31, FionaM said:

A new low from the ROH.  

Their only post today on Instagram about this day is to market their shop’s dance products.  I am disgusted and ashamed.  

“Celebrate by exploring our curated [read expensive] range of ballet-inspired clothing and collectibles”

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6WAD3-sg6I/?igsh=MW15aXkxYjY0YXUzMA==

I personally have no interest in purchasing any ballet themed clothing that does looks exorbitantly overpriced - I would probably only purchase from their shop if I was getting a novelty gift for an international friend