The Arts Council and opera

Geoff

No more guessing, no more assumptions about "Maoism", no more gossip or backstage rumour. The Arts Council has just issued a lengthy report telling us what it thinks about opera (spoiler alert, basically the Arts Council hates opera). Their report can be accessed here:

Lets Create_Opera and Music Theatre Analysis_Full report.pdf

I can't claim to have read the whole thing yet but I notice with a smirk that one of those involved is a well-known dodgy person operating inside the arts, who was once characterised in print as "the worst executive I have ever dealt with". So the Arts Council clearly chose carefully when putting together their team of writers and advisers. 

For those who would like a quick guide, the Observer newspaper has an article about the report out today:

In the name of anti-elitism, Arts Council England has declared war on opera and excellence | Catherine Bennett | The Guardian

Edited by Geoff
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Geoff said:

No more guessing, no more assumptions about "Maoism", no more gossip or backstage rumour. The Arts Council has just issued a lengthy report telling us what it thinks about opera (spoiler alert, basically the Arts Council hates opera). Their report can be accessed here:

I can't claim to have read the whole thing yet but I notice with a smirk that one of those involved is a well-known dodgy person operating inside the arts, who was once characterised in print as "the worst executive I have ever dealt with". So the Arts Council clearly chose carefully when putting together their team of writers and advisers. 

For those who would like a quick guide, the Observer newspaper has an article about the report out today:

In the name of anti-elitism, Arts Council England has declared war on opera and excellence | Catherine Bennett | The Guardian

I felt too depressed about it all to even

comment. 

Is there any hope that all-things-to all-men Keir and opera-loving, two homes Ange will do things any differently?

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Better links to the report, apologies:

https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/lets-create-opera-and-music-theatre-analysis

https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/media/22340/download?attachment

Edited by Geoff

I have not read the entire report, and can't face doing so. The Times had an article about it a few days ago https://t.co/lY1SpHRCRc If I may repeat what I said on Twitter after I read it, the ninth paragraph makes me want to weep. I'm already seeing considerably less opera than I used to because many modern productions are too modern for me but now the Arts Council wants companies to reinterpret operas even more. I despair.

• Like 2

Time to abolish the corrupt, ignorant, meddling Arts Council (they used to be decent but they have not been for the last 10 years). And distribute taxpayers' money in a more transparent and fair manner by appointing representatives from each art form to sit on the panel. 

• Like 4

The thing that worries me about these people is that this mindset is unlikely to stop with opera. When are we going to be told that the ballet companies need to drop all repertoire that involves tutus and turn into contemporary dance troupes or that Shakespeare plays must be reimagined to be set in present-day third-world countries or that Gilbert and Sullivan operas are banned in all forms because otherwise they aren't relevant?

Apparently when the Greek government shut down the Greek National Orchestra for lack of funds (and presumably because orchestras aren't high on the priority list), the orchestra played Elgar's Nimrod as its last orchestral composition in its final concert before signing off with the Greek national anthem. When our government via the Arts Council decides to get rid of symphony orchestras in the UK because they aren't "relevant," we'd better hope that Elgar's music hasn't been banned as being elitist so that the last orchestra can at least play it on its way out.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

News just in about a robust response to the Arts Council:

https://slippedisc.com/2024/03/has-wigmore-hall-just-kicked-out-the-arts-council/

As one of the commentators writes:

an absolute necessity in this day and age to avoid the stringent, unartistic and frequently non-sensical reporting requirements and investment principles set out by a puppet quango which utterly fails our industry on a near daily basis.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

More news about the Arts Council and the Wigmore Hall, to quote from the current issue of Private Eye:

>>"The regime at ACE is horrific: an Orwellian culture of ideological zealotry that everyone wants to speak out against but daren't because there's too much to lose. ACE isn't interested in music, excellence, quality... only social engineering. In return for its money it burdens us with unfeasible amounts of reporting about diversity targets, inclusion goals, the number of trans people in the audience... all wrapped up in meaningless language." The Wigmore spent a third of its ACE grant on reporting. And though the grant is for offstage community work, ACE had used it to dictate matters on stage, triggering a relationship breakdown. 

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

More news about the Arts Council and the Wigmore Hall, to quote from the current issue of Private Eye:

>>"The regime at ACE is horrific: an Orwellian culture of ideological zealotry that everyone wants to speak out against but daren't because there's too much to lose. ACE isn't interested in music, excellence, quality... only social engineering. In return for its money it burdens us with unfeasible amounts of reporting about diversity targets, inclusion goals, the number of trans people in the audience... all wrapped up in meaningless language." The Wigmore spent a third of its ACE grant on reporting. And though the grant is for offstage community work, ACE had used it to dictate matters on stage, triggering a relationship breakdown. 

This is appalling, but not surprising.  It's merely a reflection of where our society is right now.  Bravo Wigmore Hall for being so brave.

• Like 6

Have just signed another petition to save a choir in Cambridge which has suddenly been told it will be disbanded in June 2024 

They were not privy to the discussions regarding this until already a fait accompli 😥

• Like 1

With everything I hear or read I think the situation can’t get worse and then something else comes along to show me how overly optimistic I was. 

This ongoing and sinister attack upon excellence on the basis that it is elitist is not only disingenuous but by its very nature (removing the means for most people to engage with excellence) is well on the way to ensuring that it becomes precisely that. 

I too am appalled. And saddened beyond belief at having to say that I am not surprised. 

• Like 6