Press Release: Northern Ballet announces new season for 24-25

2e60d3ba-7df9-4fd3-9272-61c245a58994?Pol  

For immediate release

6 February 2024

Northern Ballet announces new season

New commissions and iconic revivals will grace UK stages over the coming year

An old man wearing a top hat looks on suspiciously as ethereal ghosts dance around him.  

• A newly commissioned triple-bill 
  • An extended tour of Romeo & Juliet
  • Revival of Christopher Gable CBE’s A Christmas Carol 
  • A new children’s ballet for spring 2025 
  • The return of Cathy Marston’s acclaimed Jane Eyre

Download high res images

Northern Ballet has announced their full programme through to spring 2025. 

Developing new voices in dance 

Highlighting its commitment to elevating new voices in the sector, May 2024 will see the return of Sketches, a creative lab and performance opportunity for new choreographic talent which made a sold-out debut last year. This year, along with talent from within Northern Ballet, DeNada Dance Theatre’s Carlos Pons Guerra will have the opportunity to create and experiment at Northern Ballet’s studio. 

This will be followed by a new triple-bill that will première at Northern Ballet’s studio theatre in Leeds before performances at the Linbury Studio Theatre, London in 2025. The programme will include a newly commissioned original response to Romeo & Juliet by Olivier Award-winning choreographer Mthuthuzeli November.  

“I am so happy to be back making a new creation with Northern Ballet. This time we are making a work inspired by R.L. Peteni’s novel titled Hill of Fools. Which is about two villages in a bitter rivalry, some people consider this to be South Africa’s version of the Romeo and Juliet story.  
For me this feels like a world of possible new discovery. How can we make something that feels familiar to all of us but have it rooted in a different world. Northern Ballet is a great storytelling company and I look forward to this new challenge ahead.” 
- Mthuthuzeli November, Choreographer 

Alongside this new commission, the dancers will perform Four Last Songs, choreographed by former Artistic Director of Dutch National Ballet Rudi van Dantzig to Richard Strauss’ score. Never before performed in the UK, Four Last Songs is an ensemble piece, widely considered one of van Dantzig’s best works. The third piece in Three Short Ballets, a new commission, will be announced soon. 

Iconic revivals  

In a Company first, a run of Christopher Gable CBE and Massimo Moricone’s Romeo & Juliet, will be performed at the prestigious Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon from the 19 – 28 September. It will then visit Southampton’s Mayflower Theatre, the Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury and Newcastle Theatre Royal.  

In November the Company will revive their festive classic A Christmas Carol, also directed by Christopher Gable CBE and choreographed by Massimo Moricone. A Christmas Carol reimagines Dickens’ timeless tale through dance, music and storytelling. The production was created during the height of Gable’s collaborations with award-winning designer Lez Brotherston OBE and features music from Carl Davies. 

A Christmas Carol will open at the Sheffield Lyceum Theatre on 7 November, touring to Hull New Theatre, Norwich Theatre Royal and Nottingham Theatre Royal before a final two week run at Leeds Grand Theatre from the 18 December to the 4 January.  

These performances will take place to recorded music. 

Looking ahead 

Spring 2025 will see the creation of a new children’s ballet, a welcome addition to the Company’s award-winning ballets for children repertoire. These short ballets are specially designed to introduce little ones to dance and live music and are based on classic tales and fables.  

In spring 2025 the company have announced the return of Cathy Marston’s acclaimed Jane Eyre. Based on the infamous novel by Charlotte Brontë, the ballet was last performed in 2018 and brings one of literature’s greatest heroines to life on stage as she overcomes all odds to find her happiness. 

Jane Eyre will tour with live music performed by Northern Ballet Sinfonia.  

Stories that connect 

In the past 12 months, Artistic Director Federico Bonelli has combined revivals of popular Northern Ballet repertoire from the Company’s rich history with new commissions, bringing varied voices to the stage. Bonelli continues to cement the Company’s 55-year history of quality contributions to the theatre landscape, making way for commissioning new full-length ballets.

“I am delighted to announce the return of Christopher Gable CBE & Massimo Moricone’s A Christmas Carol and Cathy Marston’s Jane Eyre to stages over the coming year. Both of these productions hold a special part in Northern Ballet’s history and exemplify our mission to tell stories that connect. September will also see the return of our hugely successful Three Short Ballets series that lends the talent of our dancers and creative team to three artists from across the sector, bringing new voices and perspectives to the fore. 
Live music is central to our storytelling and to our artistic vision. Due to unprecedented rises in operating costs however, some performances this year will be to recorded music and some to live music from our Sinfonia. We remain as passionate as ever about the importance of live music and its role in our ballets past, present and future.” 
-Federico Bonelli, Artistic Director 

Romeo & Juliet, makes its long-awaited return to the stage next month at Leeds Grand Theatre. Over the last year Bonelli has led the Company in bringing this landmark production to life after sets and costumes were destroyed in 2015’s Boxing Day floods. From the painstaking restoration of Les Brotherson OBE’s intricately crafted costumes and sets, to working with original creatives to recapture the ballet’s iconic drama. 

To find out more and book tickets visit northernballet.com

Audio Described Performances 

An audio described performance will be offered at most venues. Co-written by former Northern Ballet Premier Dancer Pippa Moore MBE and VocalEyes, audio descriptions provide a unique insight into Northern Ballet productions and bring performances to life for those living with visual impairments. Visit northernballet.com/accessible-performances/ to find out more.

Notes to Editors

TOUR DATES 

Sketches

Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre, Leeds

9 & 10 May

northernballet.com/sketches

Three Short Ballets 

6-14 September  

northernballet.com/three-short-ballets

Romeo & Juliet 

Royal Shakespeare Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon

19 – 28 September  

rsc.org.uk 

Mayflower Theatre, Southampton  

3 – 5 October  

mayflower.org.uk 

Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury 

9 - 12 October  

marlowetheatre.com 

Newcastle Theatre Royal  

23 – 26 October  

theatreroyal.co.uk 

A Christmas Carol  

Sheffield Lyceum Theatre  

7 – 9 November  

sheffieldtheatres.co.uk 

Hull New Theatre  

12 - 16 November  

hulltheatres.co.uk 

Norwich Theatre Royal  

19 – 23 November  

norwichtheatre.org 

Nottingham Theatre Royal  

26 – 30 November  

trch.co.uk 

Leeds Grand Theatre  

17 December – 4 January  

leedsheritagetheatres.com  

Northern Ballet  

Bold and innovative in its approach, Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s leading and widest touring ballet companies, dedicated to creating stories that connect. 

A champion for the cultural exports of the North, the Leeds-based Company is committed to bringing ballet to as many people and places as possible, under the leadership of Artistic Director Federico Bonelli. Northern Ballet’s Company of dancers performs a combination of its full-length ballets and specially created ballets for children at more than thirty venues annually.   

Audiences can also enjoy Northern Ballet’s work on screen through their digital dance platform. Visit digitaldance.org to discover more. 

Jonathan Hanks, Dominique Larose and Harry Skoupas in A Christmas Carol, photo Guy Farrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I find it extremely disappointing that the Autumn tour of R&J and A Christmas Carol are being performed to recorded music.

The good news is that Jane Eyre in Spring 2025 will be accompanied by the Sinfonia but IIRC not the whole orchestra is used in this production.  Please correct me if I am wrong in this.

• Like 4

I'm really looking forward to the new Triple Bill.  I love the 4 last songs and I've also been really impressed with what Mthuthuzeli has been coming up with lately for NB and BB.  He's really talented. 

Sketches should be quite interesting as well.  I enjoyed it last year as it was good to see the variety (even if not all of it worked for me).  Nice also to see a change from Nutcracker at Christmas.  I hope that pays off.  

I'm also definitely pleased about Jane Eyre as I've not seen that before. 

It looks like an interesting and well chosen range of works.  

• Like 2

The website states that Three Short Ballets will visit London. I'd love to see Rudi van Dantzig's Four Last Songs (his most well known ballet  which actually introduced me to Richard Strauss's beautiful lieder) live as I've only ever seen it on TV and YouTube. Also keen to see any new work from Mthuthuzeli November, who has such  strong choreographic convictions and eloquence. 

However, I would be immensely disappointed if Four Last Songs wasn't performed by a full orchestra and a soprano in person as intended by Strauss (and that's quite a good sized orchestra he wrote it for, so if they couldn't spare 3 musicians for Intimate Pages I do wonder how this is going to happen....!). Watching Rudi van Dantzig's ballet danced to a recording would be like watching Nutcracker or Swan Lake danced entirely in leotards and practice clothes- won't take away the virtuosity of the dancing but would certainly alter the experience! 

Am still hopeful and waiting to support the as yet hypothetical NB and NB Sinfonia fundraiser gala ....  🙂

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Northern Ballet have now updated their website for the 3 Short Ballets mixed programme to say that the third ballet is a new piece (as yet unnamed) by Kristen McNally from RB.  She will be working with 2 NB dancers and a disabled dancer Joe Powell-Main.  

So I think that will be a really interesting programme, two new pieces by choreographers I really like (Mthuthuzeli November and Kristen McNally) and something older to some of my favourite music.  I am loving the variety of these NB mixed programmes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Tango Dancer said:

Northern Ballet have now updated their website for the 3 Short Ballets mixed programme to say that the third ballet is a new piece (as yet unnamed) by Kristen McNally from RB.  She will be working with 2 NB dancers and a disabled dancer Joe Powell-Main.  

So I think that will be a really interesting programme, two new pieces by choreographers I really like (Mthuthuzeli November and Kristen McNally) and something older to some of my favourite music.  I am loving the variety of these NB mixed programmes. 

I've recently become a Patron so despite living in Surrey will try and make every effort to support - I am planning to go up there for the September run.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, FionaM said:

I believe the description has moved on to ‘differently abled’

Joe is an amazing dancer who trained originally at White Lodge.  His delivery is very powerful and beautiful. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5HSyfroQ2P/?igsh=OGFwYjBpZzlraHoz

Their website says disabled dancer so I had assumed that was his preference or had been run by him before publication.  I know different people prefer different descriptions.  Their wording is below.  

• The new ballet will see McNally work with two Northern Ballet dancers and Joe Powell-Main, a disabled dancer who uses wheels and crutches
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.   It wasn’t meant to be a criticism, so apologies if it was taken that way.  

It’s the term that was widely used at the Empower in Motion gala at Sadlers Wells where Joe was one the organisers, so I was following along.   

• Like 2

View in Browser

2e60d3ba-7df9-4fd3-9272-61c245a58994?Pol  

For immediate release 

9 April 2024

Northern Ballet announces triple-bill of short works 

90ff6ff4-5ef6-41f7-8ca9-32d32b6faf07  

Pictured: Sarah Chung, photo Guy Farrow.  

• Northern Ballet announces a new programme of works Three Short Ballets, to be performed in Leeds and London  
  • Line-up includes two world premières by Mthuthuzeli November and Kristen McNally and a Northern première of Rudi van Dantzig’s Four Last Songs

Northern Ballet will open its autumn 2024 season with Three Short Ballets a triple-bill featuring two world premières and a Northern première. The trio of works will be performed in Leeds at the Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre from the 6-14 September and in London in early 2025. 

The mixed programme has become a staple of the Company’s repertoire since 2018, designed to challenge the boundaries of classical ballet and invite new choreographic voices to the fore.  

Opening the programme will be a previously announced original work from Olivier-award winning Mthuthuzeli November. Inspired by R.L. Peteni's South African novel Hill of Fools, and Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, Fools will tell a tale of bitter rivalry between two villages. Known for his unique fusion of dance styles, November's third collaboration with Northern Ballet promises an emotionally stirring performance, complementing the talents of the Company's dancers. 

The second world première will be an as yet untitled piece from Kristen McNally, Choreographer and Principal Character Artist at The Royal Ballet. This new ballet will see McNally work with two Northern Ballet dancers and Joe Powell-Main, an exceptional disabled dancer who uses wheels and crutches. McNally and Powell-Main previously worked together on Sleepwalker for The Royal Ballet and will be expanding their exploration of fusing ballet and inclusive dance.  

“I am excited to be part of Three Short Ballets with Northern Ballet later on this year. I am very grateful for this opportunity and look forward to beginning the creation process in the summer. Having worked with Kristen previously it is wonderful to have the chance to work with her again. I am looking forward to sharing this new work with audiences, both in Leeds and in London.” - Joe Powell-Main

In the last year, Northern Ballet has championed inclusive dance through projects like Every Little is a Change, a ground-breaking dance film featuring Company dancers and participants from Ability, their program for adults with additional learning support needs. This commitment extends to the stage, when two dancers from Ability joined the cast of Romeo & Juliet at Leeds Grand Theatre this March. McNally's new commission promises to continue placing inclusive dance at the forefront, celebrating diversity and accessibility in the world of ballet. 

The final piece in the lineup is Dutch classic Four Last Songs, choreographed by Rudi van Dantzig. Created in 1977 by the then Artistic Director of Dutch National Ballet. Four Last Songs is a breath-taking expression of love, loss, and the beauty of the human experience. Performed to Richard Strauss’ composition by the same name, the ballet is danced by four couples with four segments beautifully mirroring the music. 

Three Short Ballets will première at Leeds Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre on the 6 September. Tickets go on sale today and are available to book at northernballet.com/three-short-ballets. London dates will be announced later in the year.  

Notes to Editors

Three Short Ballets

6-14 September 2024

northernballet.com/three-short-ballets

Northern Ballet  

Bold and innovative in its approach, Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s leading and widest touring ballet companies, dedicated to creating stories that connect. 

A champion for the cultural exports of the North, the Leeds-based Company is committed to bringing ballet to as many people and places as possible, under the leadership of Artistic Director Federico Bonelli. Northern Ballet’s Company of dancers performs a combination of its full-length ballets and specially created ballets for children at more than thirty venues annually.   

Audiences can also enjoy Northern Ballet’s work on screen through their digital dance platform. Visit northernballet.com/digital-dance to discover more.