Hammond audition dance including parent interview and song

LyndseyJ

I'm hoping that those who have been through the audition process at the Hammond can put my mind at rest please. 

In our DD's audition in January they have asked for a interview with parents, What are they looking for or what questions are they going to ask us or our DD?

she's applying for the dance course Y7 

Edited by LyndseyJ
added in some information

51 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

I’d suggest this is actually a positive approach to bring all parties around the same table creating open communication links & less chance for ambiguity or questions pupils or parents may have being missed…

Agree with this, there do seem to be so many questions every year from parents about funding etc after the auditions, so this is the chance to get the correct info directly from the source.  I think it’s also important that the school also manage expectation re funding if a place is offered on the day, so children (and parents!) don’t leave thinking it’s all in the bag. To the best of my knowledge there are around 10-ish MDS funded places every year, which is a tiny proportion of those that apply.

Edited by margarite
  • Like 1

The Hammond Entrance Interview (THEI) is your opportunity to meet with a member of The Hammond’s Senior Leadership Team. Both the applicant and their Parent(s) / Guardian(s) will be invited to answer questions created to decide if The Hammond is the correct fit for the applicant and their family.

its still scaring me, not so much my husband or DD.

I'm still wondering what kind of questions they may ask or questions that DD can ask in the interview as well?

I think this whole process is really important in your child feeling active in choosing the right school for them and rather than the other way round.

Some questions might be 

What performance opportunities will there be?

What exams will I take?

How will I be assessed? Reports? Feedback?

How many people will there be in my class?

Will there be a health team? Physio? gym? 

And all the important stuff like sleeping arrangements, nutrition, homework 

From the school’s perspective they are wanting bags of enthusiasm and adaptability. Students who are prepared to try new things and work their socks off. They will be looking to see where your child’s passions lie and their willingness to approach everything with an open mind and plenty of oomph.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Jan McNulty changed the title to Hammond audition dance including parent interview and song
22 hours ago, Mumoftwogirls2023 said:

@LyndseyJ have you been selected to do THEI? We found out yesterday we haven’t been. All the staff were really friendly this morning. 

For anyone worrying about the song, please don’t as they said they just want them to give it a go, they aren’t expecting professional singers. 

We had DDs audition yesterday and yes we were picked for the interview, it was nothing to worry about. But come home

and started doubting whether we have said the right things etc.

the song is nothing to worry about DD only sang part of the song then they stopped her haha! 

she came away feeling happy and that she had done enough so that’s all I could ask for. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, glowlight said:

Surely if they are picking people at random for an interview they can't use it in the selection process. That would just be unfair.

Maybe the interview has some other purpose for the school.

I expect it’s quite likely more an HR/internal box ticking criteria that they (maybe all schools) have to show they are doing to some measure & can I’m sure in no way mark anyone out if they  are selected nor if they are not. Probs just a process with nothing to do with pupil selection 

20 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

I expect it’s quite likely more an HR/internal box ticking criteria that they (maybe all schools) have to show they are doing to some measure & can I’m sure in no way mark anyone out if they  are selected nor if they are not. Probs just a process with nothing to do with pupil selection 

I really do hope so as I’m feeling rather stressed over it as in I don’t know if what we said or didn’t say was good enough my daughter was anxious so didn’t really say much as well 

55 minutes ago, glowlight said:

@LyndseyJ - please don't stress about it. Even if it did make a difference they'll know that people are nervous.

I’m hoping so as she’s  upset today as she didn’t get accepted into the other school she applied for 😥😥