Akané Takada and Cesar Corrales

I last saw Cesar Corrales on 19 January 2023 when, after some announced cast changes and then reversal of the aforementioned, he partnered Mayara Magri in Sleeping Beauty. He was re-injured and unable to dance again on 14 February 2023 being replaced on that night by Matthew Ball. 
I am keen to see him fit again to dance Siegfried in Swan Lake on 7 March 2024 as his portrayal of Siegfried in March 2022 was a revelation.

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 8

Desperately missing Akane, and feeling so sorry for her bad luck. She mentioned on her 'In conversation with' (on ROH stream) that she had been struggling with stage nerves and was seeing a therapist, so naturally repeated injury can't be helping with that.

Really hoping we'll have her back for the later run of Swan Lakes and the next season!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

I am keen to see him fit again to dance Siegfried in Swan Lake on 7 March 2024 as his portrayal of Siegfried in March 2022 was a revelation.

I'm also looking forward to seeing him in Swan Lake - I missed his performance in 2022 unfortunately. The last time I saw him on stage was the Nureyev gala in September 2022, when he performed a brilliant Laurencia with Natalia Osipova. Loved that.

I last saw Akane in Mayerling in November 2022 - Hirano standing in for McRae, I thought it was a superb performance. I hope to see her back for Swan Lake in June.

It certainly is such a shame for both of them, I really hope they recover.

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 2

I’m really annoyed about the March 21st performance being turned into another invited audience only event as it was a scheduled Magri/ Corrales performance which got blocked out in the Autumn although Cesar was unfit to dance then anyway. I think it’s particularly annoying to choose one of his performances for this as he’s been away so long so probably a whole load of people going who won’t care one way or the other who is dancing. 
Still if he is as exciting as he usually is he might gain a few more fans from that night who’ve never heard of him before!! 
Am trying to see if can rearrange things so can make the 7th but haven’t booked it yet in case I can’t 

• Like 2

@LinMM While I'm not planning to see Magri/Corrales this time around, as I saw them in 2022 & can't afford to repeat pairs, I agree with your point. The Don Q cinecast performance that was originally due to be them was likewise not available for public booking so doing that twice for the same pair within a few months feels unfair to the general public.

I'm sorry to hear Takada is having difficulties with nerves on stage. As someone who is having a lot of problems with anxiety when just attending performances at the moment, it must be even worse for those who are on stage with anxiety.

• Like 4

I think it must affect your nerves if you have had injuries. I only can appreciate this from attending classes after injury one of them serious. I became really fussy what the floor was like and find it difficult even now to dance on wooden (non purpose) floors usually over concrete. 
I much prefer properly sprung dance floors. 
Stephen McRae is to be hugely admired for managing to return to Performance after having such a catastrophic injury mid performance like that. 

• Like 3

I saw Akane in Sleeping Beauty in late May 2023 with James Hay. Charming and delightful. Get well soon Akane!

Cesar....I think it was pre-pandemic! For so  many of his performances that I have booked recently, he's ended up being injured and can't dance. Yikes. It's been too long. Get well soon Cesar! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

The gala just reminded me that I saw Cesar in May 2022 in a triple bill as well....I was busy thinking of the last thing that was cancelled- Nutcracker- and forgot about mixed bills! Rhapsody with Francesca Hayward- my favourite cast of Rhapsody out of the ones I had tickets for. A magnificent performance of virtuosity, musicality  and joie de vivre by Cesar in the role originated by Baryshnikov, and Francesca was precise, musical and delicately delightful. Aww. Lovely memories but he's sorely missed. Get well soon Cesar.

• Like 4

Their Giselle together was really good.  19 November 2021.  (Probably the last full length I saw either do).  

Cesar still needed to work on his characterisation and partnering.  
Akane was sublime in both acts. 

Edited by FionaM
  • Like 2

Morera and Bonelli. Never to be forgotten, their first Mayetking, their last Giselle. For me, the most potent partnership since Sibley / Wall and Collier / Mumhanecov, although I’m very keen on Hayward / Campbell now and looking forward to Kaneko / Muntagirov

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 3

I'm missing Akane so much! 😞

Like @Emeralds I last saw her  on the ROH stage on 26 May 2023 in that wonderful SB performance as Aurora with James Hay. 

She danced in the summer  Japan Tour but missed one scheduled performance there, and  has been absent here since the start of the season. 

Hopefully she is now receiving the new treatment and recovery time she needs to sort out, for the longer term, the nagging injury problem she has suffered for many years.

It would be so lovely to see her dance again in the  Ashton programme and The Winter's Tale (Perdita), as well as Swan Lake of course, but naturally she should take out whatever time it takes to allow a strong and lasting comeback - in the same way that Fumi Kaneko did some years ago with formidable results!

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Morera and Bonelli. Never to be forgotten, their first Mayetking, their last Giselle. For me, the most potent partnership since Sibley / Wall and Collier / Mumhanecov, although I’m very keen on Hayward / Campbell now and looking forward to Kaneko / Muntagirov

Posted to the wrong thread? 

• Like 1

I did see that November 21 performance of Giselle which I thought was really good though (if my memory serves me correctly) Cesar had not long been back from another injury so probably not at his absolute fittest ( like his brilliance  in Coppelia) I thought his characterisation was fine though. 

Regarding the gala performance last night on the TV …..i saw these two

( Corrales/ Hayward) in R and J and it was a truly memorable performance must have been back in 2019 but I thought Cesar didn’t look fully fit in the gala performance from last night compared to his 2019 performance. 
Hayward as delightful as ever though. 
Yes just as I decided I wanted to see more of Akane she seemed to be absent through injury. 
I do wish both of these very different dancers can be back at their full strength very soon and injury free for as long as possible. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

I did see that November 21 performance of Giselle which I thought was really good though (if my memory serves me correctly) Cesar had not long been back from another injury so probably not at his absolute fittest ( like his brilliance  in Coppelia) I thought his characterisation was fine though. 

Regarding the gala performance last night on the TV …..i saw these two

( Corrales/ Hayward) in R and J and it was a truly memorable performance must have been back in 2019 but I thought Cesar didn’t look fully fit in the gala performance from last night compared to his 2019 performance. 
Hayward as delightful as ever though. 
Yes just as I decided I wanted to see more of Akane she seemed to be absent through injury. 
I do wish both of these very different dancers can be back at their full strength very soon and injury free for as long as possible. 

Yes, I thought the R&J performance wasn't filmed well- they should have done another take if airing on BBC. The angle for filming him with cloak was not good, and they should have zoomed out for the lift on his knees. It wasn't that much of a problem when watching it live as audiences were generally caught up in the thrill of the live performance and novelty of having a "show at home" during lockdowns. The BBC should have used the Swan Lake clip instead as they were genuinely sweet and delightful in that, since they weren't using Akane and Federico's Swan Lake clip. 

By the way, Akane and Federico in the Swan Lake Act 2 adagio on the livestream performance was truly sublime- one of my favourite performances of that Act 2 pas de deux ever. They really capture the story, emotions and personalities of Odette and Siegfried and it's all in that pas de deux. ROH should issue all the footage of the 2 shows as a DVD. I think it will sell well. (I also love Romany Pajdak and Calvin Richardson's interpretation of Cathy Marston's In Her Wishes although that wasn't broadcast.)

• Like 5