What Christmas songs have you been hearing?

alison

Out of interest, I wonder what Christmas songs people have been hearing played in shops and so on in the run-up to Christmas?  It strikes me to have been rather different from most years: I've been surprised to hear most of all Chris Rea's Driving Home for Christmas, even early on, and very little of the more common ones such as I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day and Merry Xmas Everybody, for example.  I even heard Wombling Merry Christmas - can't remember the last time I heard that!  Is my experience typical?

Nobody plays The Wombles here in Oz because they don't know them.

At my parents' house, we always play Wombling Merry Christmas and my dad's favourite, Hall of the Mountain Womble ("Get that orchestra off my mountain!") because we know and like them, having lived in England for the first half of the 1970s.

• Like 2

I realised today I had not ONCE heard Mud's Lonely This Christmas until someone mentioned it.  That in itself is most unusual.  As is not hearing Santa Claus is Comin' to Town by Bruce Springsteen (or anyone else, for that matter).  It's not as if I haven't been spending time in shops and supermarkets this month - and it's perhaps no wonder I'm feeling slightly discombobulated ...

(And I went to a carol service the other week where we had "O Holy Night" - that's probably a first at a carol service I've been to: as far as I'm aware, it's pretty much an American, and possibly Irish, tradition rather than a UK one.)

Before the season ends, may I just slip in (not for the first time) a mention of Morten Lauridsen's version of "O Magnum Mysterium," heard several times in past days, and which was danced to by the magnificent Zenaida Yanowsky in an Acosta & Friends programme some 10-15 years ago - as a solo with choral backing and, I think, in the Coliseum. 

• Like 4