RBS spring intensive 2024

The Graceless One

First time applying for my daughter she got waiting list.  We applied for the summer at the same time, now wondering if I should have waited and redone pictures found it hard taking them not sure I did her justice, if she didn't get the sprint does that mean she won't get the summer either. Does anyone know how many children they take? She's a year 5 JA so first time she's been old enough to apply for them. Good luck to all your dancers. 

4 hours ago, Theatrefan said:

First time applying for my daughter she got waiting list.  We applied for the summer at the same time, now wondering if I should have waited and redone pictures found it hard taking them not sure I did her justice, if she didn't get the sprint does that mean she won't get the summer either. Does anyone know how many children they take? She's a year 5 JA so first time she's been old enough to apply for them. Good luck to all your dancers. 

If you look through the threads for RBS Intensives you will find surprising results of places being offered/ not offered /wait list etc. Students who have been a no suddenly getting a place, students being offered Summer but not Spring, students being offered both! and students who are waitlisted for intensives for a couple of years suddenly being offered a WL place!  So don’t give up. Having said that, there are far more international students at the summer intensives and not so many from UK. I think a lot of European students celebrate Easter in a big way or their holidays don’t match ours and don’t apply for the Easter intensive. This might leave more space for UK students. I’m not sure how many in a class at lower levels but from experience around 18/20.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Ruby Foo said:

If you look through the threads for RBS Intensives you will find surprising results of places being offered/ not offered /wait list etc. Students who have been a no suddenly getting a place, students being offered Summer but not Spring, students being offered both! and students who are waitlisted for intensives for a couple of years suddenly being offered a WL place!  So don’t give up. Having said that, there are far more international students at the summer intensives and not so many from UK. I think a lot of European students celebrate Easter in a big way or their holidays don’t match ours and don’t apply for the Easter intensive. This might leave more space for UK students. I’m not sure how many in a class at lower levels but from experience around 18/20.

I noticed this too. My DD attended the RBS summer intensive last summer for the first time as she doesn’t normally apply (she applied once years ago when she was quite young and never applied again until I sent in an application last year without telling her). She hates having her photo taken so I just used a mishmash of photos quickly taken after classes (not professionally taken by a photog, and quite clearly taken at diff times as she was wearing diff leotards!) and so we were extremely surprised she got a place first time round. At most I thought she’d get waitlist, most probably a straight no, given the pitiful few hours she dances and the substandard photos. She said it was like a different world when she got there, especially for someone like her who doesn’t really dance many hours a week, just weekends. Out of about 28 or so girls in her group, only a handful I believe were from the U.K., with at least 2/3 full-time RBS students out of that 5 or so. The rest were international, including YAGP winners/finalists. We have never tried for Spring so not sure what it’s like, whether there are more U.K. students. She did say boarding at WL was good experience. She’s never boarded before and has only been in school residentials that are more like the survival/wilderness show kind, so she’s never been away for dancing. I was assured that she can actually survive 5 days without losing any of her stuff, or being expelled for being too messy or eating all the food in the place…

Edited by Neverdancedjustamum
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WL is in Richmond Park which is only accessible by car or taxi. The taxis outside Richmond station are well used to doing that journey. There is parking in the school grounds although it does get busy at the start of intensives.

There is a Premier Inn in Richmond town center and more pricey hotels on Richmond Hill near one of the gates into the park.

Edited by Ruby Foo
  • Thanks 1

I had no idea how big Richmond Park was! I thought it was just a normal park....like our local park 🤪!! It's huge! Nearly missed dd audition as was planning to park and 'wander up'...  then a friend pointed out how far it was! 

1 hour ago, Ruby Foo said:

WL is in Richmond Park which is only accessible by car or taxi. The taxis outside Richmond station are well used to doing that journey. There is parking in the school grounds although it does get busy at the start of intensives.

There is a Premier Inn in Richmond town center and more pricey hotels on Richmond Hill near one of the gates into the park.

Thank you that’s all really helpful 

Uber generally won’t go into Richmond park, you’d need to pre-book a taxi or use the cabs outside of the station. Definitely walkable though, albeit a fairly lengthy walk. Lovely if the weather is nice. Having your own car would be ideal.