Northern Ballet presents Generations: Three Short Ballets in Leeds and London this autumn Inbox

2e60d3ba-7df9-4fd3-9272-61c245a58994?Pol  

24 July 2023 

For immediate release

Northern Ballet presents Generations: Three Short Ballets in Leeds and London this autumn

7ba05df9-18a3-4493-ab66-2e09756e1ad5  

• Northern Ballet will première a triple-bill of works in their hometown of Leeds this September, followed by a limited run at Royal Opera House’s Linbury Theatre in October. 
  • The programme features a world première from New York City Ballet Principal and TikTok sensation Tiler Peck.
  • Royal Ballet Soloist and emerging choreographer Benjamin Ella will present a UK première.
  • A revival of ‘grand master of contemporary ballet’ Hans Van Manen’s Adagio Hammerklavier will complete the bill.

This September Northern Ballet will present Generations: Three Short Ballets, a trio of contemporary ballets created by choreographers at different stages of their careers curated by Artistic Director Federico Bonelli. 

The evening will feature a world première from New York City Ballet Principal Tiler Peck in her first choreographic commission for a European ballet company. 

“It is an absolute honour to be creating a new work for Northern Ballet. I have always admired Federico’s work and was humbled when he asked me if I would make a new commission for the company. This will be my first time choreographing for a European company and I am grateful for the opportunity to work with Northern Ballet's incredibly versatile dancers.” - Tiler Peck

Royal Ballet Soloist and emerging choreographer Benjamin Ella will present a UK première inspired by the music of Finnish composer Jean Sibelius.

The contemporary classic Adagio Hammerklavier by Dutch master Hans van Manen, created 50 years ago this year, completes the programme and will be performed by the Company for the first time.

"Earlier this year we successfully piloted our Sketches programme to a sold out audience in our studio theatre, giving emerging Leeds based choreographers the opportunity to create new works and develop their choreographic practice.
I'm passionate about championing the choreographic voices of tomorrow and I see Generations: Three Short Ballets as a continuation of this, this time inviting artists from across the generations and across the globe to create and stage work in our beloved hometown of Leeds.
Benjamin Ella is a talented young choreographer at the beginning of his career while Tiler Peck’s first European commission marks a new chapter for the rising star. The placement of their work alongside renowned Dutch ballet master Hans van Manen's perfectly captures the fusion of old and new that makes ballet such a wonderful and dynamic artform." - Federico Bonelli

The triple bill marks the start of Northern Ballet’s 23/24 autumn season, its first under the artistic direction of Bonelli. Celebrating the breadth of the Company’s work, the new season presents stories that connect with people of all ages and backgrounds. From UK and world premières created by compelling new voices with fresh perspectives, to the revival of critically acclaimed classic repertoire - these are stories created in Leeds for a national stage.

Generations: Three Short Ballets will be performed at the Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre in Northern Ballet’s home in Leeds 8-16 September and at the Linbury Theatre in London from the 31 October - 2 November.

Notes to Editors

Listings

Generations: Three Short Ballets

Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre, Leeds 

8 - 16 September 2023

northernballet.com

Linbury Studio, Royal Opera House, London 

31 October - 2 November 2023

roh.org.uk

Northern Ballet  

Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s leading and widest touring ballet companies. Bold and innovative in its approach, Northern Ballet is prolific at creating new full-length work with a unique blend of strong classical technique and impressive storytelling. Northern Ballet’s repertoire embraces popular culture and takes inspiration from literature, legend, opera and the classics, pushing the boundaries of what stories can be told through dance.      

A champion for the cultural exports of the North, Leeds-based Northern Ballet is dedicated to bringing ballet to as many people and places as possible, under the leadership of Artistic Director Federico Bonelli. Northern Ballet’s Company of dancers performs a combination of its full-length ballets and specially created ballets for children at more than 30 venues annually.   

Audiences can also enjoy Northern Ballet’s work on screen through their digital dance platform. Visit digitaldance.org to discover more. 

Aerys Merrill, photo Guy Farrow.

• Like 3

Really looking forward to this triple bill!  I see the first night in Leeds is already sold out, which is wonderful.

Before the “epidemic” of rail strikes we’re getting, I did contemplate booking advance rail tickets, hotel and theatre tickets to travel several  hours up to Leeds to see it, but seeing as the summer strikes, random cancellations and overtime bans are already causing a lot of stress, expense  and hassle, I’m just relieved and thrilled they are coming back to the Linbury (which itself is not without hassle as far as trains are concerned but a shorter distance) with this bill. 

Am also rather bemused to see the description of Tiler Peck as NYCB Principal and Tiktok Sensation. It’s rather like describing Vadim Muntagirov as Royal Ballet Principal and Tiktok Sensation, or Angela Gheorghiu as Royal Opera Soprano and Facebook Favourite! 😉 But maybe some folks reckon ‘Tiktok Sensation’ is more likely to make them buy tickets than ‘one of the world’s most acclaimed dancers, popular worldwide guest artist, acclaimed musical theatre star, choreographer, Vail Festival favourite, and actor in feature film and prime time tv roles’. 😊

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Am also rather bemused to see the description of Tiler Peck as NYCB Principal and Tiktok Sensation. It’s rather like describing Vadim Muntagirov as Royal Ballet Principal and Tiktok Sensation, or Angela Gheorghiu as Royal Opera Soprano and Facebook Favourite! 😉 But maybe some folks reckon ‘Tiktok Sensation’ is more likely to make them buy tickets

The world is truly bonkers!

More seriously, I'm looking forward to this bill too - most of the Linbury offerings look pretty good this Autumn

• Like 3

Absolutely love Adagio Hammerklavier will definitely be going to this one!!! 
Do tickets for non friends of ROH go on sale on Aug 2nd as for rest of MainStage events? 
Gosh just taken in only 3days one of which I definitely can’t do! 
Hope there are enough tickets!!!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Am also rather bemused to see the description of Tiler Peck as NYCB Principal and Tiktok Sensation. It’s rather like describing Vadim Muntagirov as Royal Ballet Principal and Tiktok Sensation, or Angela Gheorghiu as Royal Opera Soprano and Facebook Favourite! 😉 But maybe some folks reckon ‘Tiktok Sensation’ is more likely to make them buy tickets than ‘one of the world’s most acclaimed dancers, popular worldwide guest artist, acclaimed musical theatre star, choreographer, Vail Festival favourite, and actor in feature film and prime time tv roles’. 😊

During her rehearsal period with the company before the summer break quite a few of the dancers posted Tyler Peck's TikTok on their IG stories.  I think she must be a TikTok influencer and if that brings people in to see ballet more power to her!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Absolutely love Adagio Hammerklavier will definitely be going to this one!!! 
Do tickets for non friends of ROH go on sale on Aug 2nd as for rest of MainStage events? 
Gosh just taken in only 3days one of which I definitely can’t do! 
Hope there are enough tickets!!!! 

FYI:  more tickets may be added on 2nd August when general onsale starts, but available as at now as onsale to members:

31/10 18 tickets 

1/11 39 tickets

2/11 matinee 44 tickets 

2/22 evening 35 tickets

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

View in Browser

2e60d3ba-7df9-4fd3-9272-61c245a58994?Pol  

08 August 2023 

For immediate release

International ballet stars come to Leeds

ff760a2a-4efe-409b-a3e5-ed5b049c4888  

• New York City Ballet’s Tiler Peck and Royal Ballet’s Benjamin Ella have been visiting Leeds to develop  new works with Northern Ballet  
  • Dutch National Ballet will be visiting the city in the coming weeks to revive Hans van Manen’s contemporary masterpiece Adagio Hammerklavier  
  • The resulting triple-bill Generations: Three Short Ballets will première in Northern Ballet’s studio theatre in Leeds this September  
  • This is just one of the five shows Northern Ballet is bringing to theatres across Leeds over the next 12 months 

Some of the most exciting names in ballet have been visiting Leeds over the last few months as Northern Ballet prepares a new evening of dance works Generations: Three Short Ballets which will première on their home stage in Quarry Hill this September. 

New York City Ballet’s Tiler Peck and Royal Ballet’s Benjamin Ella have been enjoying the city's offerings while they work with the Company of dancers. 

Under the leadership of Artistic Director Federico Bonelli, Northern Ballet have set out their goal to elevate Leeds on the international stage and this new programme of work does just that, inviting renowned voices from the international ballet world to Yorkshire.  

Our home in Leeds is a huge part of our identity at Northern Ballet and like many of my colleagues I have fallen in love with the city since moving up from London last year. It’s been a great source of pride to welcome these international talents to our home. 
Benjamin Ella is an artist I was privileged to see grow at the Royal Ballet where I performed alongside him on countless occasions. From a young age he demonstrated a remarkable flair for choreography and I am so excited to see the UK première of his work.  
In the ballet world, Tiler Peck needs little introduction. A Principal Dancer at New York City Ballet, Tiler’s exquisite musicality has made her one of the most prominent dancers of her generation. I am so pleased that she has chosen Northern Ballet as her first European company to choreograph on and Leeds as the city to première that work.’ 
- Federico Bonelli

In the coming weeks Larissa Lezhnina and Rachel Beaujean, Ballet Master and Associate Artistic Director of Dutch National Ballet will be visiting the city to revive ‘Grandmaster of Contemporary Ballet’ Hans van Manen’s masterpiece Adagio Hammerklavier that will complete the triple-bill.  

Alongside their extensive programme of community outreach and public classes and workshops, over the next 12 months Northern Ballet will be bringing five ballets to theatres across Leeds with something for all ages. This includes The Nutcracker, Beauty & the Beast, Tortoise & the Hare and a long-awaited revival of their critically acclaimed Romeo & Juliet

Generations: Three Short Ballets will be performed at the Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre, located inside Northern Ballet’s headquarters from the 8-16 September before touring to London’s Linbury Theatre from the 31 October – 2 November. 

Notes to Editors

Listings

Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre, Leeds 

8 - 16 September 2023

northernballet.com

Northern Ballet  

Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s leading and widest touring ballet companies. Bold and innovative in its approach, Northern Ballet is prolific at creating new full-length work with a unique blend of strong classical technique and impressive storytelling. Northern Ballet’s repertoire embraces popular culture and takes inspiration from literature, legend, opera and the classics, pushing the boundaries of what stories can be told through dance.      

A champion for the cultural exports of the North, Leeds-based Northern Ballet is dedicated to bringing ballet to as many people and places as possible, under the leadership of Artistic Director Federico Bonelli. Northern Ballet’s Company of dancers performs a combination of its full-length ballets and specially created ballets for children at more than 30 venues annually.   

Audiences can also enjoy Northern Ballet’s work on screen through their digital dance platform. Visit digitaldance.org to discover more. 

Benjamin Ella and Tiler Peck in rehearsals for Generations: Three Short Ballets. Photos Emily Nuttall and George Liang. 

• Like 1

Northern Ballet has issued more information about the Tiler Peck piece (I expect Jan will post the official announcement soon).

Peck is creating her ballet to Janacek's Intimate Pages. I do love that music so, in some ways, I'm looking forward to it- but it is unlikely to be as marvellous a ballet as Christopher Bruce's Intimate Pages., it had emotional depth as well as fluent choreography.  I do so wish that some company (Yorke Dance Project?) would revive it.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the Northern Ballet patron's open rehearsal day today (which was amazing). 

They were rehearsing some of the works for this and it looked really good. The van Manem piece was really well danced with some lovely intimate pases de deux.  I thought what we saw of the Tiler Peck work promised very well.  She has a lovely style and energy to her choreography and it is still very much a ballet rather than contemporary dance from what I could see.    

I am not always wowed by mixed programmes but I am so looking forward to this.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1