Vocational school (lower) applications for 2024

Laura_ballet

I’ve got a keen daughter who would like to go off to “ballet” school. Things have changed a lot since I trained and I wondered what are the top 5 vocational schools in the UK now. I appreciate vocational schools are not always the best route however we are going to explore it as a potential pathway for now and if we need to change course then we shall do so. 

Hi,

the 4 main U.K. ballet schools from year 7 that have MDS funded places offered are -

The Royal Ballet School

Tring Park

Elmurst

Hammond

There is also Young Dancers Academy in London and I’m sure others depending on the age you are applying to join.

Wishing your daughter the best of luck. 

12 hours ago, Thelittleswans said:

I’ve got a keen daughter who would like to go off to “ballet” school. Things have changed a lot since I trained and I wondered what are the top 5 vocational schools in the UK now. I appreciate vocational schools are not always the best route however we are going to explore it as a potential pathway for now and if we need to change course then we shall do so. 

We started our Year 6 journey this year with a lot of uncertainty from us parents about vocational schools. My daughter has wanted this for a long time but we weren't sure about her going off at such a young age plus the costs involved. We nearly didnt apply! 
However, we did start the process and situations and feelings can change and she did receive offers from excellent schools. We are very happy with where she will be starting in September. 
My point is, even if you are unsure, if you are able to, then go with it and make your decision at the end rather than regret not trying. Its a great experience in itself.  Good luck 🤞🏻 

• Like 3

Agree with all of the above however some of those schools are more classically focussed than others. I imagine all are great in some ways for the right kids though - everyone wants different things. 

I do think you get a sense of a school from going through the audition process but I think it’s worth balancing that with the cost and time it takes to do this round of auditions, especially if you will need to travel far and stay in hotels etc. It can be a busy year!

I absolutely do agree with keeping an open mind though - we know a lot of people who’s preferences and eventual decisions on whether or not to accept offers changed significantly throughout the year. 

Slightly marking my place here as my second DC is currently thinking about whether or not to apply for any vocational schools next year (for Y7 entry).

We will likely end up being one of the many people who will (unashamedly) ‘tick the box’ to see what happens because having been through this process once already, I am well aware that DC’s preferences and our preferences as parents may well look very different by results time and I’d like to keep our options open. 

• Like 2

Thanks all for your input. It is ballet that my daughter is passionate about so I would assume WL and Elmhurst would be more appropriate. Anyone able to comment on the standard of ballet in the other schools mentioned (Tring, Moorlands, YDA and Hammond) 

I can reccommend YDA, I know the accommodation situation can make it tricky for some applicants, but there are options. Its worth looking into as the ballet is a high level, students go on to excellent upper schools and academics are great as well. Happy to answer any questions.

• Like 2

Standard of ballet at Tring is high. 
They do a little bit of tap, modern etc too although the main focus on dance course is ballet. 
I was impressed with ballet faculty when we were there although that may have changed. Form 1 - 3 get to audition for ENBs Nutcracker each year which was a fab experience for DD 

Depending on age, Kings International Ballet Academy is exceptional. They take students from year 10 upwards. Training is incredible (as well as the focus on student wellbeing).  Our dd LOVES it there. Limited places per year group (about 5), but no MDS financial assistance unfortunately.  A gem of a school. 

• Like 3

I'm another one that highly recommends Kings International Ballet Academy for years 10 and above. Just a wonderful school. They have their show on the 15th July in Rugby if anyone wants to go along to watch. 

For lower school there are the usual - WL, Tring, Elmhurst, Moorland, YDA. We went for a day out not expecting anything and our dd enjoyed 3 years at WL, she moved to Kings last September. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me. 

• Like 1

She is loving it - and thriving there. She had a great time at WL and we will never regret her going - the class sizes were smaller than at home which was great and the kids all progressed, they all wanted more dance lessons at the beginning though - I think they thought they could dance all day - well at Kings they do! At Kings they really focus on the individual and getting them to thrive. They get personalised corrections, there is a focus on strength and conditioning and making them a dancer who can go into a job, they have someone available to talk too if the dancers need it, one of the teachers has set timetable time and is available for the kids. Its a much more intimate and close knit school. The teachers know the kids well and will do their best to help them no matter what their end goal is. 

• Like 2

Hi all, interesting thread!

Please anyone who is there don’t be offended by the next comment, I’m coming from a position of not having a clue and only having one person’s opinion!

We’ll be applying for Y7 this year too but are being told that we shouldn’t apply for Tring. My child has attended a few one-day sessions there, really enjoyed them and thought the School seemed a lovely environment, so the next comment surprised us. The justification was related to ‘standards not being what they used to be’. Can anyone who has had a child go through Tring, or who knows more about the school and pupil outcomes than I do, please comment to give their views as I feel I need to hear more opinions. Is there any basis to the comment at all? Might there have been in the past and this is a now an outdated view? Just trying to rationalise my own and my child’s pretty positive (yet fairly limited) personal experience with the opposing view we’ve had from someone who we’d ordinarily wholly respect the views of.

Many thanks!

There were some major problems at Tring a few years ago, a search on this board should find the discussions.  The Director of Dance at the time was effictively relieved of her duties after a snap Ofsted inspection prompted by parental complaints.  The new Co-Directors of Dance who are currently in post are excellent and the standards are high.

Just checked Tring's website and will update this.  Antony Dowson and Lorraine Jones were originially Co-Directors of Dance but their functions have now been separated.  Antony Dowson is Artistic Director of the Encore and Graduate programmes, and Lorraine Jones is Director of the Dance Course, Head of Dance.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Add info

12 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

There were some major problems at Tring a few years ago, a search on this board should find the discussions.  The Director of Dance at the time was effictively relieved of her duties after a snap Ofsted inspection prompted by parental complaints.  The new Co-Directors of Dance who are currently in post are excellent and the standards are high.

Just checked Tring's website and will update this.  Antony Dowson and Lorraine Jones were originially Co-Directors of Dance but their functions have now been separated.  Antony Dowson is Artistic Director of the Encore and Graduate programmes, and Lorraine Jones is Director of the Dance Course, Head of Dance.

Thank you @Pas de Quatre much appreciated. Explains the comment we received, but also sounds more positive for future. Will have a look through the forum as you suggest. 😀

On 29/06/2023 at 20:03, BisforBallet said:

Standard of ballet at Tring is high. 
They do a little bit of tap, modern etc too although the main focus on dance course is ballet. 
I was impressed with ballet faculty when we were there although that may have changed. Form 1 - 3 get to audition for ENBs Nutcracker each year which was a fab experience for DD 

Are you able to tell me how many hours ballet per week and what are the other classes? Do they do contemporary? 

On 10/07/2023 at 11:24, Thelittleswans said:

Are you able to tell me how many hours ballet per week and what are the other classes? Do they do contemporary? 

Form 1 was Ballet Mon - Fri morning for at-least 2 hours and afterwards modern, tap, choir or drama. 

Academics in the afternoon .

Contemporary not until Form 3 I think. No exams. No dance at the weekend Form 1 either.