English Youth Ballet audition

MissEmily

Hello! I have a 13 year-old student auditioning for English Youth Ballet next month, which is a first for my ballet school. Is anyone able to tell me what sort of thing they are likely to be asked to do in the audition/ what they're looking for? Thank you!

Hi Miss Emily,

It’s been a long time since my dd last did EYB; back then the auditions were onstage at the theatre where the performances took place.  If I remember rightly, they took 50 dancers from the 100 who auditioned.  

The auditions were in 2 groups; juniors and seniors, and the students were placed in lines across the stage.  One of the teachers would demonstrate a short sequence of steps and the dancers would perform the sequence in their lines.  After each sequence the front line would go to the back of the stage, so the next line would be at the front, and so on.

A good ear and quick eye is useful for auditions like this, as is a good knowledge of ballet vocabulary, although the teacher demonstrated anyway, and what the panel liked among other things was the ability to “have a go”.

Auditions may be by video submission now, of course, which is a different ballgame.  In any case, I’ve added some “tags” to the top of this thread; if you click on them, all the threads discussing EYB should show as a list.  And hopefully someone with more recent experience will be along soon!

• Thanks 1

My daughter did an online audition a couple of years ago and had to submit a video based on the below link. She was in the junior section so expect your student will be in the older group but might give you an idea...

When we did it I also noticed a few kids who had posted their own recordings following it on you tube as well so you may find a senior one there if you look. 

https://youtu.be/1GxoVPr_tNY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi there,

My daughter did EYB 6 years ago ( Cinderella in Hollywood ) & as Anna C has said it was a group audition...warm up & then split into junior / senior.

Listen well & follow instructions. They will demonstrate the moves but they will also just explain what is required & expect the students to know what is to do. They take a large group of students as there are many parts to play....mainly group dances. 

As always a smile goes a long way.

Rehearsals then tend to be in school holidays / half terms. You may have to purchase certain items. But things like white satin shoes ....ribbons etc depending on what group they put into. 

There are fees but have no idea what they would be now ....but that will be given to you if audition is successful.

Most of all tell them to enjoy the experience! 

Mj

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone! This is all so helpful! My class sizes are small so we don't normally rotate lines, but will practise doing that beautifully in preparation! She has a quick brain and a lovely sense of performance so hopefully those things will stand her in good stead, even though I think she'll be at the lower end of the technical spectrum, having only just taken her Grade 5 exam and not having any desires to pursue ballet professionally! I feel like EYB is the right sort of standard for her; even if her audition isn't successful I'm optimistic she won't feel totally the underdog at the audition!

• Like 3

My DD did EYB just last week.

The audition was on stage and as described above.

She was in the junior section though and I gather there is a big jump between that and senior.

They definitely look for joy of performance, so whatever happens, giving your heart and soil will shine through.

Miss Lewis just got and OBE. She is the most amazing lady!

• Like 2

On 25/06/2023 at 21:27, Dancing unicorn said:

Would have loved dd to have done this when she was younger! Sadly they don’t do it in Wales and to go anywhere for rehearsals would have been a hike! So good luck and enjoy all those that can do it 💗

They were in Cardiff last year so may come back! 

• 1 month later...
On 05/07/2023 at 21:44, MissEmily said:

Thanks everyone! She's in!!! One very happy girly!

My daughter was at this audition too!

For anyone reading this in the future, I think what really helped my daughter get in was her ‘performance’ - she smiled and presented herself well and hid the nerves well! She picked up the routine quickly and showed improvement from the first time she did it to when she did it again (she told me she had been practising hard in the wings whilst she was waiting her turn!). 

Whilst it was nerve wracking to watch as a parent it was also lovely to see the children perform. 

Hope your student enjoys it @MissEmily

Edited by Dancemum23
Typo
  • Like 1