Swanwings

I am sorry they've made it a two week course, because not everyone can afford two weeks residency in London.  Especially if a parent accompanies them from abroad.  We hold an annual summer school scholarship competition and before Corona we were able to send a student to ENB.  She flew over with her Mum, stayed in a nearby hotel and had an amazing time!  It's such a shame because we would love to send other students there on scholarship.  It's such a good course!

• Like 1

On 31/03/2023 at 15:08, Dance*is*life said:

I am sorry they've made it a two week course, because not everyone can afford two weeks residency in London.  Especially if a parent accompanies them from abroad.  We hold an annual summer school scholarship competition and before Corona we were able to send a student to ENB.  She flew over with her Mum, stayed in a nearby hotel and had an amazing time!  It's such a shame because we would love to send other students there on scholarship.  It's such a good course!

That’s such a lovely thing for a school to do! Maybe others could copy? I could see schools being able to hold an annual fundraiser to create a fund…. Though of course how you then allocate money could be tricky if you have several worthy students with offers of various summer intensives….but it also could incentivise students to apply for things & to push themselves forward & also enable some to apply who otherwise may not due to financial constraints….

Size of school of course also a factor I appreciate in what could be done but just great to hear lovely positive things like this! 😀

On another note…. Could it be worth contacting ENBS to see if they’d consider a 1 week placement or perhaps ‘fund match’ your generosity & offer an additional week free of fees? Just a thought….

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 3

Actually it's not just our school -it's a number of RAD schools in our country.  We usually get between 80 and 90 students participating and together with their entry fees and some generous donations and fund raising, we manage to give quite a few scholarships.  What we do is give them a workshop as well as the audition class, so that if they don't get through to the final, they have compensation!  Last time I gave a Benesh Notation workshop to the younger students and they loved it!  I was actually surprised at how quickly they picked it up!    Everyone involved donates their time - judges, teachers and organisers, so that apart from paying the pianists and a few other expenses, all the money goes for the scholarships.  We also don't hold it on stage, so as to save money.

In London the week is just for the tuition, but out of London if it's residential we include that.   Whoever accompanies the winners has to pay the flights and their own hotel, but it's rare that they don't take up the scholarship -especially where the selection process is tough (like with Elmhurst) and their daughter or son are guaranteed a place.   The schools are very accommodating and it's a wonderful experience for the winners to meet international students!   I did in fact write to ENBS when they first changed it to 2 weeks, but they didn't agree to let us send a student for one week only.  

If someone wanted to do it for their own school, of course the answer would be to bring in outside judges.  I agree it would be very difficult to choose between top students! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m sure there will be soaces feeling up so 🤞🏻
Twice we (sadly) turned summer places down, attending instead Spring & Autumn ones as decided then were more cost effective for us (shorter so fees less & hotel accommodation much cheaper than in the Summer) 

On 21/04/2023 at 16:06, Peanut68 said:

I’m sure there will be soaces feeling up so 🤞🏻
Twice we (sadly) turned summer places down, attending instead Spring & Autumn ones as decided then were more cost effective for us (shorter so fees less & hotel accommodation much cheaper than in the Summer) 

I really wish they did one week in summer too......this is why we will have to do spring or autumn this coming year, so she can see.if she likes the school before upper school auditions.

• Like 3