London travel tips for ballet lovers

Definitely use Citymapper to get around. I have worked in London most of my life, lived there for a lot of it, and Citymapper is still able to help me get around. Its good for public transport, walking and cycling.

Kenwood House on Hampstead Heath has some beautiful paintings, is manageable, and if the weather is good a walk on the Heath is excellent.

Primrose Hill is a small park with excellent views over London, and a few streets full of very instagrammable cafes and restaurants. 

And for a look at London's hipsters take a walk around Redchurch Street and Brick Lane area.

• Like 1

I'd add Borough to the list and close by, and in case this hasn't previously been mentioned, check out the Menier Chocolate Factory for a very intimate theatre, with good productions and attached restaurant/cafe. And on the other side of London, Hampton Court Palace, Bushy Park and Richmond Park.

• Like 1

@jmhopton I'm getting really excited now that my travel date is fast approaching (only 3 days to go!) and I'm sure I'll love it! Exactly, with a city the size of London it's such a common mistake (happened to me as well in the past) to plan things on the same day only to discover that they are on opposite ends of the city! Maybe one of the next times I'm in London you'll also be there - I would love to meet some forum members on my trips!

@munchkin16 Thank you for the great advice! I'm signed up for the 30€ day tickets now and hope to get one on the 6th! I'll just try it at 10 am on the dot, hopefully that will work out. Also thinking about the 10€ Matilda tickets, just not sure how early you really have to be there to get one - maybe I would try that on the 7th! Also I've activated the notifications on the TodayTix app for Daily Rush tickets now!

@gdallas Thanks - I've just installed CityMapper now and will definitely be using it a lot! Primrose Hill has been added to my list now!

@Scheherezade Richmond Park is also where White Lodge is located, isn't it? I've got the Dorich House Museum on my list which is also located there, they currently have an exhibition called Spirit of the Ballet until the end of April!

• Like 3

There are some lovely suggestions! I hope you'll have a wonderful trip @rosefairy

Something I've been really enjoying when traveling to new destinations now is finding a ballet class — they can be a hit or miss, but I've had mostly great experiences (and meeting new people!). Maybe something to consider while you're in London? :)

• Like 2

On 01/04/2023 at 20:23, rosefairy said:

@Scheherezade Richmond Park is also where White Lodge is located, isn't it? I've got the Dorich House Museum on my list which is also located there, they currently have an exhibition called Spirit of the Ballet until the end of April!

Thanks for starting this thread & I wish you a fabulous stay Rosefairy!

Having lived in London in the past for several years & with many subsequent visits, I thought I knew most places (even if most are still in my ‘must go to one day’ list!) but I’ve learned of a few new to me places to add! The Dorich House Museum going to the top of the list & had earmarked it for when on a trip to London this coming….. only to find it will be closed on Fri/Sat…. Oh well…. 
Best suggestions for near to Battersea? 
Thanks all!

I used to daily fantasise in the late 80’s as I passed by on my way to work about what could be created within the majestic brick & giant Grecian columned structure! Finally there has been a transformation…. A family member visited recently & took some great photos for me…. Sadly they say it seems to be mostly high brow designer shopping arcade for public visitors but maybe there is more???

Edited by Peanut68