ROH Rusalka

Geoff

In response to some uncritical comments in another thread about this new show, it seems only fair to point out that, as ever, other opinions are available. For example here is a tweet from a long-serving opera critic:

F9768C91-6099-43A0-9D7E-A959BEE90BBC.jpeg.4fa99445f5b875efc7c54aa1bb7f3728.jpeg

My view, fwiw? Go if you already love this work. The orchestra play exceptionally well under a remarkable conductor and the singing is first rate. 

But if you do not know or do not like this opera, then this is not the production to convince you. The staging is clumsy, bordering on the amateurish, while hoping to hide its incompetence behind a contemporary “message”. Caring about the planet - which as it happens I already did before seeing this show - does not excuse awful sets, costumes, choreography and staging (never mind perhaps the worst “dancing” I have ever seen on a professional stage). 

Caveat emptor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Geoff.  I haven't seen it since ENO last century, but was wondering about going.  (In fact, I was also waiting to see if I got sent an offer, on the basis that I don't get offers for ballets I've already booked, and I haven't been to an opera this season, but apparently not).

Rather a late post I’m afraid. I found Rusalka (Sunday 5 March) fabulous musically but thought the production dire. A great shame as some elements were engaging - I rather enjoyed the trapeze swimmers but even that make believe was shattered when the singers were on stage at the same time as their trapeze body doubles. And the basic sets for Acts 1 and 3 were ok. Act 2 was hideous with only the lower third of the stage used at the outset perhaps increasing to half part way through. The surtitles were lowered throughout the Act. The party must be the worst ever put on the ROH stage. The costumes were awful, Rusalka’s wedding dress looking even more ludicrous as Rusalka was dressed on stage. And I found the brutality of Rusalka’s transformation from water sprite to human repugnant. I’m afraid the production didn’t allow for much development of characters and relationships and at times was static, the Creators/Directors Natalie Abrahami and Ann Yee with little if anything to say. From the programme note I was rather dreading what detritus we’d see at the bottom of the lake in Act 3 and I supposed we should be thankful that we were spared the worst.

But what a triumph for Semyon Bychkov and the ROH Orchestra, and the fabulous cast, particularly Asmik Grigorian (Rusalka), David Butt Philip (Prince), Rafal Siwek (Vodník), and Sarah Connolly (Ježibaba).

This was badged as very much a green production. ‘Reuse’ is one of the key environmental tenets. Some classic productions have lasted 40 years or more but I doubt this production will be revived a couple of times. And I don’t think this was a co-production so no sharing of resources and little chance of the production being mounted elsewhere.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

But what a triumph for Semyon Bychkov ...

As is almost always the case. I can still recall his extraordinary Die Frau ohne Schatten, possibly the only occasion I can recollect in which the audience broke into spontaneous applause at random points during the performance.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I see Rusalka is this Saturday’s ‘Opera on 3’ - 6 May 6:30 to 10:00pm Radio 3 and then available on BBC Sounds. Fabulously sung with Semyon Bychkov conducting and well worth catching. May be a bonus not being able to see the production.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JohnS said:

I see Rusalka is this Saturday’s ‘Opera on 3’ - 6 May 6:30 to 10:00pm Radio 3 and then available on BBC Sounds. Fabulously sung with Semyon Bychkov conducting and well worth catching. May be a bonus not being able to see the production.

Agreed on all levels, JohnS.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

If I'm feeling well enough, I may try going to this in the cinema this evening (I can't tell, from the ROH's new links, whether there will be any encore showings near me).  Does anyone have any additional thoughts?  I'm hoping that since it's a recording the intervals will be shortened, because otherwise it's going to be a very late night!