Happy 80th Birthday to Sir Anthony Dowell

Happy Birthday to Sir Anthony! 🎂🥂

Still love his performances of Swan Lake, Manon, The Nutcracker (as Prince to Lesley Collier’s Sugar Plum Fairy) that I had on video and watched endlessly till they almost broke! Also a thrill to have seen him dance in Ondine and A Month in the Country. Hope the company gave him a little shoutout plus cake, bubbly and presents. We should have an Anthony Dowell gala with all the solos and pas de deux created on him and with him performed on the programme. It would be an evening of Ashton and MacMillan treats! (And wouldn’t mind seeing excerpts from the van Manen and Tudor ballets if they can be done). 😊  I would certainly go! 

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Happy Birthday to Sir Anthony! 🎂🥂

Still love his performances of Swan Lake, Manon, The Nutcracker (as Prince to Lesley Collier’s Sugar Plum Fairy) that I had on video and watched endlessly till they almost broke! Also a thrill to have seen him dance in Ondine and A Month in the Country. Hope the company gave him a little shoutout plus cake, bubbly and presents. We should have an Anthony Dowell gala with all the solos and pas de deux created on him and with him performed on the programme. It would be an evening of Ashton and MacMillan treats! (And wouldn’t mind seeing excerpts from the van Manen and Tudor ballets if they can be done). 😊  I would certainly go! 

Now that's what I call a brilliant idea! 

• Like 4

Happy Birthday to Sir Anthony Dowell lovely dancer and a wonderfully inspiring teacher too!! 
I can still remember seeing him for the first time on a BBC news programme and thought what a beautiful dancer he was and lucky enough to see him eventually for real on many occasions including with Antoinette Sibley …just unforgettable together in The Dream. 

• Like 5

Thank you, MJW, that was a lovely accompaniment to my supper :)  Just as well the WiFi down here wasn't too overloaded!

(And when you've watched it once, watch it again with closed captions on.  It's very amusing :) 

33 minutes ago, alison said:

I'd so love to see Muntagirov dance it.  As well :)  

Trying to remember who I *have* seen dance it: Bruce Sansom, Stuart Cassidy, Federico Bonelli and Ed Watson, I think ...  Did Inaki Urlezaga do one season, too?

Christopher Gable made a pretty good job of it! And if course my first Daphnis had to be Michael Somes. That dates me!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, ninamargaret said:

Christopher Gable made a pretty good job of it! And if course my first Daphnis had to be Michael Somes. That dates me!

I’m so jealous!  I’ve been intrigued by Gable for years, ever since I realised that the actor in Slipper and the Rose that I’d loved since childhood was a former principal with the RB - I couldn’t believe it when I realised just who he was and what a career he’d had, albeit sadly brief.  It’s such a shame there is hardly any footage of his ballet career.  I love the photos Keith Money took of him, he was such a beautiful man. 

I love watching Dowell as Nijinsky tangoing with Nureyev in Ken Russell’s Valentino film and I adore his Meditation from Thais with Antoinette Sibley - and didn’t he also design the costumes?  Sadly, I wasn’t even born when these amazing dancers were in their prime, but thank goodness for YouTube. 

• Like 4