Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo - Peacock Theatre, London & on tour

I didn't see a thread for the Trocks who are currently at the Peacock Theatre. They're doing 2 programmes at the moment of different works. 

I went to see Programme A tonight and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  It was a lovely fun evening and a nice break from the gloom of financial crises etc. They are as always a class act and do an amazing job with some really fun choreography.  At times I didn't know where to look because when I was watching one thing, someone else was doing something amusing but it was a totally fun evening. 

The first piece was Act 2 of Swan Lake which was really fun and had some brilliant bits in it.  Odette did some of the best fouettes I've seen in a while and had a lovely sense of musicality I thought.  It was also absolutely hilarious and von R had some wonderful cloak swishing bits (not sure if this is a proper step but it should be).  Then the did the pas de trois from Act 1 which was really well done, with the comedic parts emphasised by the fact Benno was really short and the 2 ballerinas were really tall. 

They did a really good parody of "In the Night" which had some clever and funny choreography and a brilliant piece for the whole company called Walpurgisnacht featuring nymphs and satyrs.  The choreo was so funny and one of the male solos was jawdroppingly good with some really impressive jumps and turns.  

Classical ballet it was not but it was so much fun especially if you understood what they were parodying.  I am in awe of their skill as going on pointe is not easy and they do it so well and work so well as a company  You can see they really love ballet and understand it to poke fun at it so lovingly.  

if you want a bit of fun escapism, I'd definitely recommend it.  There's another programme called Programme B next week I think with slightly different works which also looks good.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Ballet Trockadero de Monte Carlo - Peacock Theatre, London & on tour

I have seen the Trocks many times over the years and they are full of fabulousness.  If they weren't such brilliant dancers, it wouldn't work.  The fact that they are so talented and so respectful of ballet means that they can do the comedy and it is actually funny, not just a vulgar pastiche.  Sadly I have had to make financial choices about what to see so am giving them a miss this time, but am sure that those who go along will have a fab time like @Tango Dancerdid.  It is great these days to come out of somewhere with a smile on the face and a glowing feeling inside!

• Like 4

• Sim changed the title to Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo - Peacock Theatre, London & on tour
33 minutes ago, Sim said:

I have seen the Trocks many times over the years and they are full of fabulousness.  If they weren't such brilliant dancers, it wouldn't work.  The fact that they are so talented and so respectful of ballet means that they can do the comedy and it is actually funny, not just a vulgar pastiche.  Sadly I have had to make financial choices about what to see so am giving them a miss this time, but am sure that those who go along will have a fab time like @Tango Dancerdid.  It is great these days to come out of somewhere with a smile on the face and a glowing feeling inside!

TodayTix has seats discounted by as much as 51% for all performances bookable in advance. Ticket prices range from £15 to £35 midweek and £15 -£45 at the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

I had the pleasure of seeing The Trocks in Bradford last Friday and what a pleasure it was.

What I really like about the Trocks is that they actually take ballet and comedy seriously and it makes for a side-splitting, jaw-breaking evening.  As my friend said it does help if you know something of the conventional ballet as that makes what they do even funnier.

The evening starts before it starts with the cast change and repertoire announcements which had the audience already giggling.

We were then treated to Act 2 of Swan Lake.  Von Rothbart gave us lots of swirling capeology and Odette gave us some immaculate fouettés and actually when not dancing for comedy some beautiful swan arms that would grace any conventional ballet stage.  The swans were there usual superb mixture of conventional and comedic dance.

After the interval we were treated to a pas de trois from Swan Lake (the one for Benno and 2 ladies of the court) and it was beautifully danced with only the odd swish of a hand or a raised eyebrow for the comedic element.

Next up was Vivaldi Suite danced seriously with the odd swish of a hand and raised eyebrows to give us the laughs.  Looking at the programme it was "after Balanchine" but I am not sure which piece.

We finished off with the extra treat of The Dying Swan.  Again wonderfully danced with the descending feathers and facial expressions providing the comedy.

The evening was completed with Raymonda's wedding which was a total delight (and better than some conventional performances I have seen).

The evening most definitely ended on a high but there was more to come with a great Q&A session with  Artistic Director Tory Dobrin.

Thank you Trocks - I can't wait for your next UK tour!

• Like 5