The Beauty All Around

• 6 months later...

I like this one, it shows when you can dance you can do anything, even run a country at war.  I enjoy watching him when I'm struggling with my dancing and it makes me feel good.  

There's a link to the clip in the article, but I didn't want to link to Youtube directly as it's not my clip.  

Volodymyr Zelensky’s ‘Dancing with the Stars’ Ukraine clip from 2006 goes viral (nypost.com)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone, for your warm responses. Like many of you, perhaps, in a way, I lived this music (I was at Woodstock). I didn’t follow the individual members’ work very much after the breakup. The Beatles have always maintained a monumental status, for me, but I really haven’t listened to them nearly as much since. This year I found out about the three ’new’ songs. I liked Now And Then best, bought two of them, then sort of lost interest, but Now And Then remained as a possibly lovely song while I was tuning into some of the happier Taylor Swift. Much of my value of Happiness comes from my Beatles listening and and late sixties experiences.

So yesterday I discovered this video. The song reminded me of Abbey Road, which came out of nowhere and was magically lovely. Now And Then has a similar effect on me, although less world changing.

So many wonderful Beatles’ elements are present here and brought back to life. These include the brilliant technical innovation and the heartfelt effort and juxtapositioning of the participants. The song, by the way, is thought by some to be a message of friendship from John Lennon to Paul McCartney. I tend to agree.

“She said the song [not Now And Then] was getting Paul to finally connect with his grief over John Lennon's death. Linda explained that the last time Paul talked to John, he had said the same line to Paul: “think about me every now and then, my old friend.” “

This song and this video, for me, not only represent a masterpiece of Art, but are also the Beatles revisited in the finest sense.

Added: Used here is a recording of John Lennon singing.

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Buddy said:

The song, by the way, is thought by some to be a message of friendship from John Lennon to Paul McCartney. I tend to agree.

So do I.  The fact that John had written 'for Paul' on the cassette tape really choked me up.  It was almost as if he had had a premonition, and wanted Paul to know how he really felt.  I am sure that Paul has never recovered from John's death.  He must feel like one of his limbs was torn off.  Between losing him and Linda, there must be a huge hole within him that I'm sure is partially filled by a loving wife and family, but some things never fully heal.  

• 1 month later...

A trailer. Worth a smile.

Fine ending to movie as well.

High Strung Free Dance -- The Movie.  Young ballet dancer goes "Free Dance".

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Scheherezade said:

Thank you Buddy. That was me. In another life.

Glad that you enjoyed it. Cheers for your other life.

From “High Strung”. — Keenan Kampa, formerly Mariinsky.

I chatted with her once at a Mariinsky reception. She was lovely. I hope that she’s doing well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqqjyAdmFyg

Edited by Buddy

• 3 weeks later...

I keep returning to the “Now And Then” song (John Lennon, Beatles), because it’s so beautiful and such a heartfelt looking back and summarizing.

There’s one verse that has caught my attention because it’s so touching and almost *choreographic* (and so worthy of the Beatles' 'magic').

John sings….

“and if you go away, I know you’ll nev….stay.”

Our mind, and in fact the printed lyrics, say “and if you go away, *I know you’’ll never stay* "….and our mind probably adds “you’ll never stay *away*.”

But if you listen to John again, your mind might ‘feel’ this….“I’ll know you’ll (drop the incompleted “nev”)….*Stay!* "

as in....

"I know you'll stay!" or  “Please Stay!”

Edited by Buddy

A quick additional thought.

I’ve been watching a number of videos discussing “Now And Then.”

Somewhere among them, someone suggests that a thousand years from now music listeners will be listening to only one ‘music phenomenon’ from our times — The Beatles.

An interesting idea.

Edited by Buddy

**** View 1:28:50-1:34:20 ****

That was me clapping in the audience, thirty-eighth from the right (more or less).  🙂 

Edited by Buddy

In December of last year, Gia Kourlas in the New York Times, wrote an article, titled….

"What if Dance Could Save the World?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/26/arts/dance/dance-in-2023-the-cool-genre.html

The second video in the previous post is from the 50 minute(!) British music and song video featured in her article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU5tSF6k-m8

I liked some of the things that she wrote very much. Here’s one quote.

“ “Maybe dance can save the world.” Maybe it’s not maybe. Maybe, under the radar, dance has already been changing the world in unassuming ways — in a street jazz class at a gym or the line dancing in the back of a Ukrainian restaurant, where movement is seen and shared through the bodies and minds of everyday dancers.”

Here’s something that I wrote elsewhere and would like to add.

And maybe we can go in a room, turn on some music (or enjoy the quiet) and dance. It’ll probably make us feel good, or even better, perhaps make us do something good.

• Like 1

**** View 1:28:50-1:34:20 ****

Mariinsky Ballet

You are the night, you are the ocean

You are the light behind a cloud

You are the end and the beginning

A world where time is not allowed

There's no such thing as competition

To find our way, we lose control

Remember, love's our only mission

This is a journey of the soul

The perfect song is framed with silence

It speaks of places never seen

Your home's a promise long forgotten

It is the birthplace of your dreams

(Beyond — Daft Punk)

Cool !

Edited by Buddy

• 1 month later...

You can find some great ‘dancing’ here, if you view life as a dance.

Paul McCartney — Photographer — “Eyes of the Storm”

Beautifully intimate photography !  Great book !

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

This seems quite charming. (Maybe 'amazing' is a better word) She’s ‘animated.’ China’s next Taylor Swift ?   🙂

Luo Tianyi (洛天依) is a Chinese Vocaloid

"According to her short anime series, Luo Tianyi is an angel who came to earth with a mission to spread music throughout the world. Tianyi can detect "the song of your heart" (心中的歌声) and it can be interpreted as the strongest emotion a person has at the moment or a melody that represents them. Even if people cannot express the melody themselves, Tianyi can still hear it and sing it."

https://vocaloid.fandom.com/wiki/Luo_Tianyi#:~:text=Luo Tianyi became popular in,large fandom in the country.

"Angels don't play a very significant role in Buddhism with most references being found in East Asian art or folklore instead of religious texts."

https://medium.com/mythic-writes/angels-a-comprehensive-guide-2746bb5ab59

Vocaloid concerts

Basically, a projector is set up to show the character that's supposed to be singing.

Vocaloid concerts typically feature the use of holographic technology to project the animated avatars of the Vocaloid singers onto the stage. These avatars are accompanied by live musicians and sometimes backup dancers. The concerts are often synchronized with pre-recorded vocals and choreography, creating a unique blend of live performance and digital animation. Fans attend these concerts to experience the music and visuals of their favorite Vocaloid characters in a live setting.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-Vocaloid-concerts-work#:~:text=Basically%2C a projector is set,played on a back track.

Added: This might be similar to the "ABBA Voyage" show that's now in London and that I hope to see this summer. Has anyone seen it ?

Edited by Buddy