Raymond Gubbay Varna Ballet tour UK 2023

This was in the Links a couple of days ago and I just thought it might be a good idea to give it a higher profile in case anyone missed it. The tour seems to be from Jan-Mar and is perhaps filling the gap left by Siberian (later Russian State) Ballet which presumably won't be returning next year. The theatres visited seem to be similar as is the rep. They are doing Nutcracker, Swan Lake, Giselle and Coppelia though every theatre presumably chooses their own. I've already booked to see Giselle at Blackpool Grand Theatre where they are also doing Nutcracker and Swan Lake next Jan.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/uk-regional/article/Raymond-Gubbay-Limited-Announces-UK-Debut-For-Varna-International-Ballet-and-Orchestra-20220624

• Thanks 1

Ouch - sounds like a very packed schedule:

"The company will visit Basingstoke, Blackpool, Bournemouth, Brighton, Bristol, Buxton, Darlington, Edinburgh, High Wycombe, Hull, Ipswich, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester, Northampton, Norwich, Nottingham, Oxford, Peterborough, Reading, Southend, Wimbledon and Wolverhampton from January to March in 2023."

• Like 1

This must be a hastily arranged pick-up group (profit). I went to the ballet competition in Varna, Bulgaria, a few times and was not aware of any permanent ballet company or opera house in that resort city. There’s a theatre with a permanent ballet troupe in the capital, Sofia. This is different. I hope that it all goes well.

Buxton Opera House has a bit about them on their page for the shows:

Founded in 1947 and currently celebrating their 75th anniversary, the critically acclaimed Varna International Ballet comes to the UK for the very first time. Renowned for its award-winning soloists and magnificent corps de ballet, the company has been delighting audiences for decades at home and abroad with its performances of the highest quality.

Daniela Dimova Artistic Director
Peter Tuleshkov Music Director and Chief Conductor

‘We are thrilled to be bringing our highly talented company of dancers and musicians to the UK for the very first time. We can’t wait to perform for British audiences and to bring these magical ballets to life on stage.’  

- Daniela Dimova

https://buxtonoperahouse.org.uk/whats-on/category/varna-international-ballet