Tamara Rojo at San Francisco Ballet

This Raymonda is definitely suitable for an older child or teenager.   I agree with Irmgard and FionaM's posts above, and inspite of the flaws I realy enjoyed this production.  It might also help to look at the historical background a little before going.  Florence Nightingale's contribution to the war and the establishment of Nursing as a profession is fairly well known and interesting.  Also the Crimean war has direct political influence on politics and wars ever since, including the current conflict between Ukraine and Russia.  I don't want to start a political debate here, but the topic is worth researching.

• Like 2

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rojo’s Raymonda is enjoyable despite being a completely different storyline. The best thing about the production is that it keeps the spectacular music alive (albeit rearranged), given it is not performed widely (Denmark and Netherlands are the only full productions I have been able to find outside of Russia which is not currently an option).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

This Raymonda is definitely suitable for an older child or teenager.   I agree with Irmgard and FionaM's posts above, and inspite of the flaws I realy enjoyed this production.  It might also help to look at the historical background a little before going.  Florence Nightingale's contribution to the war and the establishment of Nursing as a profession is fairly well known and interesting.  Also the Crimean war has direct political influence on politics and wars ever since, including the current conflict between Ukraine and Russia.  I don't want to start a political debate here, but the topic is worth researching.

Well yes, it is worth researching - but I wouldn't say any of the research would be rewarded by watching this ballet. The nursing/war element is absolutely minimal and imho entirely unconvincing.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Rojo’s Raymonda is enjoyable despite being a completely different storyline. The best thing about the production is that it keeps the spectacular music alive (albeit rearranged), given it is not performed widely (Denmark and Netherlands are the only full productions I have been able to find outside of Russia which is not currently an option).

POB were due to dance it before strikes and/or Covid intervened, I can't remember which. Also I think that Vienna has a production?

• Thanks 1

National Ballet of Japan was considering to bring their Raymonda (by Asami Maki, basically a traditional Raymonda)  for their tour next summer. However, Miyako Yoshida said in the press conference that it is quite difficult to perform a classic Raymonda in the UK these days, and she decided to bring their Giselle (Yoshida/Alistair Marriott) for the tour.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

POB were due to dance it before strikes and/or Covid intervened, I can't remember which. Also I think that Vienna has a production?

Munich has the Ray Barra version of Raymonda.  Not performed since pre COVID I think.  It has beautiful flowing costumes for Raymonda in the earlier acts.  Traditional Petipa style tutus in third act.  Lauretta Summerscales has performed the title role.  Clips and photos in her instagram if you scroll back to 2018/19.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_XIpiCgYKJ/?igsh=ODc5MTI4MTQzZ3Ew

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Excellent! I would happily make a grand tour of Europe to check them all out!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, nycitybird said:

Angelo Greco has announced on Instagram that he's going to Houston Ballet.

Here is the complete list of joiners from the San Francisco Ballet press release:

SF Ballet also looks forward to welcoming to the company, and welcoming back, established artists and emerging talent, including the return of Dores Andre and Max Cauthorn as principal dancers; the promotion of SF Ballet corps de ballet members Kamryn Baldwin, Carmela Mayo, and Joshua Jack Price to Soloist; and the appointment of soloists Fernando Carratala Coloma and Victor Prigent, both from English National Ballet. Additionally, SF Ballet Apprentices Sofia Albers, Jacey Gailliard, and Dylan Pierzina have been promoted to the corps de ballet, and Rebecca Blenkinsop (English National Ballet), Jakub Groot (Czech National Ballet), Lucas Lopez (Joffrey Studio Company), Archie Sullivan (English National Ballet), and Juliette Windey have been appointed to the corps de ballet. Six SF Ballet School Trainees have been named apprentices for the 24/25 Season: Maya Chandrashekaran, Carlota Cruz, Emmitt Friedman, Justin-Cooper Meeks, Ben Taber, and Juliana Wilder. The roster is effective beginning July 1, 2024.

SAN FRANCISCO BALLET ANNOUNCES 2024–2025 SEASON - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org)

Edited by miliosr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, FionaM said:

@Ginny  Rojo’s Raymonda is definitely a family friendly ballet.  All ages.  The storyline is easy to follow and there is more to it than the traditional classical tutu version. 

Lots and lots of lovely dancing, beautiful sets and colourful costumes, and of course the wonderful music re-arranged to fit the new story.

My only gripe with the production is that the ballerinas costumes are so long that their choreo is harder to see.  Most of it is the historic choreography and those solos are tough!  

I think anyone who is not expecting the traditional version or doesn’t know it, will enjoy this ballet.   It’s akin to Coppélia or other light hearted ballets.  

Great. Thank you! I’m so pleased to hear this. I will definitely go see it with my daughter.  I wasn’t sure if the wartime setting might be too bleak for her, but this sounds lovely & right up her alley. Plus, I think the traditional character dancing in Act 3 is replicated - which is always fun to see live. Marking it in my calendar now!  

So it seems Raymonda is intended as the “family-friendly” ballet for next season. SFB will just REALLY need to market it well as intended for families, because many people will not know what to expect & the title is much less familiar. 

• Like 1

@Ginny it’s the wartime setting that is the weakest part.  It is glossed over and the scenes near the battlefields are very tame. A couple of non-dancing extras are bandaged and attended to on the sides of those scenes.  No reality there! 

The dancing for the men in particular including both leads is exhilarating and challenging.   The pas de quatre retains all the beats, unlike other versions. 

Edited by FionaM
Add paragraph
  • Like 4