English Youth Ballet Nottingham

SplitSoul

My daughter applied and has been successful- yay!!! It was super hard making the videos.  We had a super supportive dance school who let us use the studio and after we shot the individual exercises a friend helped me to put them together with Vimeo x

On 08/04/2022 at 05:19, Shellym said:

My daughter applied and has been successful- yay!!! It was super hard making the videos.  We had a super supportive dance school who let us use the studio and after we shot the individual exercises a friend helped me to put them together with Vimeo x

Yay, what age is your DD? Mine has been successful too. 

3 minutes ago, Elz said:

Well done to your DD and her friends.

Have you done it before?

What gear do they need? Presume they can wear their own kit for rehearsals, so will need a couple of pairs of tights spare and a few leos?

Any other tips?

We’ve not done it before, hoping to get some information in the post or email.  Looking at videos on Facebook each kid in their own stuff.  Sorry I can’t help more x

Congratulations! My daughter has loved the two EYB performances she’s taken part in. Yes - own kit for all rehearsals: leotards and tights, quite a lot of them wear wrap skirts too. For the performance they’ll need tights and shoes - if not en pointe they like them to wear satin shoes with ribbons for the performances (you’ll likely need a couple of pairs as the theatre floors are often filthy!) Other helpful items are nude coloured leotard/body stocking to wear under the costumes and a dressing gown to wear between dances at the performances - lots wear a satin type one rather than a thicker towelling/fleece. Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, RachH said:

Congratulations! My daughter has loved the two EYB performances she’s taken part in. Yes - own kit for all rehearsals: leotards and tights, quite a lot of them wear wrap skirts too. For the performance they’ll need tights and shoes - if not en pointe they like them to wear satin shoes with ribbons for the performances (you’ll likely need a couple of pairs as the theatre floors are often filthy!) Other helpful items are nude coloured leotard/body stocking to wear under the costumes and a dressing gown to wear between dances at the performances - lots wear a satin type one rather than a thicker towelling/fleece. Hope that helps!

Thank you, that’s brilliant and very helpful. Do we have to do their make up or is that done their? X

Edited by Shellym

@Shellym - no worries, if you have any other questions then do just ask. Ideally you do their makeup and hair before they arrive for the performances - it’s foundation, blusher, brown eyeshadow, mascara and eye liner. They have a parents meeting as the performances approach to go over all the details.

You can wear whatever you like for the rehearsals but they do ask that the hair is in a proper bun. They provide you with a list of kit and make up for the performances, all in good time for you to get everything (and to sew ribbons on pink satin shoes!)

If in doubt, just ask, they're ever so helpful x

Ps. Congrats to your DDs for getting in

37 minutes ago, HopelessMummy said:

You can wear whatever you like for the rehearsals but they do ask that the hair is in a proper bun. They provide you with a list of kit and make up for the performances, all in good time for you to get everything (and to sew ribbons on pink satin shoes!)

Thank you so much x

• Like 1

Don't worry everyone. Assuming EYB is still run along the same lines as it was when my DD was young enough for it, you'll get really clear instructions about everything. Of all the things my children have done through their various hobbies over the years I think EYB is right up there around the top in terms of both organisation and quality of experience. DD did it multiple times and on every occasion it was well organised and what you expected to happen did so, when and how you expected. On the odd occasion something had to change it was well communicated. Miss Lewis and the other staff expect hard work and commitment from the participants (expect your children to come home tired after rehearsals!) but it cuts both ways, and you can expect the same back. 

My DD got a great deal out of EYB and we were a bit sad when she was too old to continue. One of the key things to remember is that there are no "bad" parts. Everyone gets plenty of time on stage and the choreography is done such that in the big groups the dancers rotate so everyone can be seen - there's nobody stuck on the back row or hidden away in the corner. So of your young dancers come back from the casting day disappointed that they haven't got the role they were dreaming of, do reassure them that all the parts are good and enjoyable. In fact my DD really enjoyed being in the groups as she made loads of friends and learned a lot of new skills.

Enjoy the experience everyone!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pups_mum said:

Don't worry everyone. Assuming EYB is still run along the same lines as it was when my DD was young enough for it, you'll get really clear instructions about everything. Of all the things my children have done through their various hobbies over the years I think EYB is right up there around the top in terms of both organisation and quality of experience. DD did it multiple times and on every occasion it was well organised and what you expected to happen did so, when and how you expected. On the odd occasion something had to change it was well communicated. Miss Lewis and the other staff expect hard work and commitment from the participants (expect your children to come home tired after rehearsals!) but it cuts both ways, and you can expect the same back. 

My DD got a great deal out of EYB and we were a bit sad when she was too old to continue. One of the key things to remember is that there are no "bad" parts. Everyone gets plenty of time on stage and the choreography is done such that in the big groups the dancers rotate so everyone can be seen - there's nobody stuck on the back row or hidden away in the corner. So of your young dancers come back from the casting day disappointed that they haven't got the role they were dreaming of, do reassure them that all the parts are good and enjoyable. In fact my DD really enjoyed being in the groups as she made loads of friends and learned a lot of new skills.

Enjoy the experience everyone!

Absolutely. There is this fear when they do casting that they get a part that is not as much as another (there's actually another thread about this somewhere) but EYB are excellent about making sure that the children have equal amount of stage time. They might not be dancing all the time but they may need to be on stage acting. It really is a lovely experience and no matter what your experience or ability, they have something for everyone.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

I feel like I will be starting a thread on how to sew in ribbons when the time comes!

Thanks for the info @HopelessMummy

• 1 month later...

Getting close now, rehearsals start in a few weeks!

My DD is 8 and wondering what parts there are for the littlest ones.

Does anyone know?

Also, what do parents do during rehearsals? We are about 1 h away, and I don't fancy driving home and then back again later.

Congrats to all !!

My child did 3 EYB’s.

They have danced with BRB and LCB, and their experience with EYB, every time has been just so positive and their favourite.

As a company they are professional, organised, with consistently wonderful performances.

The dance classes and subsequent rehearsals are really well structured, with a complete run through at the end of every day.

The staff are lovely, I notice they have new principal dancers, all of whom have years of fantastic experience. They are kind, patient and take no nonsense from the children. They expect respect and good behaviour from all involved.

As my child’s first introduction to performing then age 9, now 14, it was an experience, and they have had many others since, that has been one of the best ballet experiences to date.

As a parent I absolutely love them as a company, and having chaperoned and been involved with everyone apart from NYB, it is the one I would choose to return to as the best experience for any child.

I hope you all have a really lovely time. 

• Thanks 2

On 19/05/2022 at 11:53, Elz said:

Getting close now, rehearsals start in a few weeks!

My DD is 8 and wondering what parts there are for the littlest ones.

Does anyone know?

Also, what do parents do during rehearsals? We are about 1 h away, and I don't fancy driving home and then back again later.

I always stayed for rehearsals and we lived nearer than you. There is usually a place for parents to sit and wait. 

There will be a casting audition on the first day of rehearsals and parts are allocated on the basis of that. It might have changed, but knowing Janet Lewis, Director, it will remain the same. 😁

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, NotadanceMa said:

Congrats to all !!

My child did 3 EYB’s.

They have danced with BRB and LCB, and their experience with EYB, every time has been just so positive and their favourite.

As a company they are professional, organised, with consistently wonderful performances.

The dance classes and subsequent rehearsals are really well structured, with a complete run through at the end of every day.

The staff are lovely, I notice they have new principal dancers, all of whom have years of fantastic experience. They are kind, patient and take no nonsense from the children. They expect respect and good behaviour from all involved.

As my child’s first introduction to performing then age 9, now 14, it was an experience, and they have had many others since, that has been one of the best ballet experiences to date.

As a parent I absolutely love them as a company, and having chaperoned and been involved with everyone apart from NYB, it is the one I would choose to return to as the best experience for any child.

I hope you all have a really lovely time. 

So lovely to here, we can’t wait xx