Etoile Ballet Theatre, Italy

DMumCSB2019

On 31/03/2022 at 18:18, DMumCSB2019 said:

Does anyone have any experience of being a trainee at Etoile Ballet Theatre, Piacenza, Italy. My daughter has been offered 3months which we have to pay for but I'm not sure. Any information would be helpful.

No knowledge to impart but is it normal to pay to be a trainee? In my profession, this is a big no no and an alarm bell but I have no idea about dance... 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

No knowledge to impart but is it normal to pay to be a trainee? In my profession, this is a big no no and an alarm bell but I have no idea about dance... 

As far as I am aware you have to pay for pre-professional programmes which, reading this forum, are now turning up all over the show.

• Like 5

Janet is right.  This started in USA some years ago and is now the norm.  Like many things it has come over to Europe and now it seems to be a whole new layer between graduating from a school and obtaining a paying contract.  There are reputable schemes and others that are a waste of time.  But the sad unescapable truth is that there are far more good trained dancers then jobs, and in the current climate, post covid, with all the uncertainties of the Ukraine war, I fear there will be even few in the years to come.

• Like 2

Thank you for your posts. It was not so much the fact that they are charging that I am worried about too much, as I know this is the norm.  I wanted to know of any experience other might have of this company, perhaps living accommodation etc.

It should so NOT be the norm that our young people (well, their families) are expected to pay for being a (supposed) company dancer. I thought unpaid internship was banned as a practise? Isn’t this the same thing? Surely at the very least expenses should be met?

I’d be interested to know how for example the Aud Jebson young dancers programme at Royal Ballet is run….my assumption was that they are young new company members who would be on the starting salary scale but with their salaries funded by Aud Jebson charitable foundation instead of from regular company HR coffers….thus saving the company money but with parents not stumping up cash. 

I wonder if indeed they are paid a London Living Wage? 

We've talked on this subject in other threads… So, where is the protection? Unions? Audiences? I’d hate to be paying to watch a ballet where I thought the dancers were paid only to find several are actually paying to dance….it’s quite scandalous. 
I do see a slight difference if it’s promoted as a training programme rather than a ‘junior’ or second’ company or similar but it’s a very blurred line….

Realism hits as our dancers get to employment age & standard….

Ability to pay to work feels Dickensian….

If a company is indeed worthwhile then surely they can fund salaries by ticket sales/sponsorship/arts grants. If not… why not???

Edited by Peanut68
Typos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

It should so NOT be the norm that our young people (well, their families) are expected to pay for being a (supposed) company dancer. I thought unpaid internship was banned as a practise? Isn’t this the same thing? Surely at the very least expenses should be met?

I’d be interested to know how for example the Aud Jebson young dancers programme at Royal Ballet is run….my assumption was that they are young new company members who would be on the starting salary scale but with their salaries funded by Aud Jebson charitable foundation instead of from regular company HR coffers….thus saving the company money but with parents not stumping up cash. 

I wonder if indeed they are paid a London Living Wage? 

We've talked on this subject in other threads… So, where is the protection? Unions? Audiences? I’d hate to be paying to watch a ballet where I thought the dancers were paid only to find several are actually paying to dance….it’s quite scandalous. 
I do see a slight difference if it’s promoted as a training programme rather than a ‘junior’ or second’ company or similar but it’s a very blurred line….

Realism hits as our dancers get to employment age & standard….

Ability to pay to work feels Dickensian….

If a company is indeed worthwhile then surely they can fund salaries by ticket sales/sponsorship/arts grants. If not… why not???

Yes that all seems very true.
It started off with an ad asking for dancers with some paid positions but on applying by video she was offered trainee which do all company class and performances but, for that you have to pay. All my intuition says not to take it but my daughter all she has ever wanted and done since the age of 4 is dance and perform and nothing paid for has come up. Even a couple of her fellow dancers at her London Ballet school travelled abroad to audition, which they understood was for a paid job and they got offered a years contract as a 'trainee' which they are charged for. I suppose they are getting company experience. A lot of the jobs ask for experience. 
Other than this for new dancers their is further training at new post graduate one year courses, for example at Cymru Ballet, pre professional programme (daughter offered this also) they take company class and perform too but have to pay for the course. As the programme does not give a qualification higher than the Dance and Performance Degree already held it is not funded by student finance but has to be self funded. I do feel these courses are taking advantage of young dancers and pumping more money into the dance education industry, but what are new professional dancers to do when jobs are scarce to come by. They will want something to keep them dancing.

My only hope is that this Etoile Ballet Theatre would lead to a company place as they say most of their company dancers are from the trainee programme but I'm doubtful that for most this becomes a reality. Still don't know what to do but I've told my daughter not to sign the contract as once signed she is liable to pay whether or not she goes as no cancellation clause.

As I'm writing this I'm more and more sceptible about the whole thing.

• Like 2

The advice I was given by an experienced retired AD was if your dd has not gained a paid position after graduation then doing a pre-professional programme would a good learning opportunity to dance, to see up close how a dance company works and build networks. This would be better than paying for private lessons and staying at home. Some UK pre-professional programmes do offer bursaries so you would pay food and board and not the fees. As other posters have mentioned not all programmes are equal. This is a tricky area - just work within what you can afford. Do not go into debt over it. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Drdee said:

The advice I was given by an experienced retired AD was if your dd has not gained a paid position after graduation then doing a pre-professional programme would a good learning opportunity to dance, to see up close how a dance company works and build networks. This would be better than paying for private lessons and staying at home. Some UK pre-professional programmes do offer bursaries so you would pay food and board and not the fees. As other posters have mentioned not all programmes are equal. This is a tricky area - just work within what you can afford. Do not go into debt over it. 

Thanks x

10 hours ago, danceparent said:

And all of this totally undermines the premise of MDS and DaDA awards which are meant to level the playing field and ensure that no talented dancer is excluded! Back to ballet being elitist! 

Exactly!! 

• 2 years later...