Moscow City Ballet Romeo and Juliet or Sleeping Beauty

Moscow City Ballet are visiting the new Scunthorpe theatre, the Baths Hall in February.

I can only afford one performance so would you go for Romeo and Juliet or Sleeping Beauty?

We're taking my DS with us, who is seriously considering training in the Russian ballet style.

Your thoughts appreciated

meadowblythe

Just thinking that if your daughter's seriously interested in Russian ballet style, wouldn't Sleeping Beauty be a better option? That said, I'm not sure whether I've actually seen their R&J anyway, and I may not have seen their Beauty for a decade or two (I find all these touring Russian companies tend to merge into one in my memory after a while :) ). What I do remember of it from a performance back in the early 90s at Sadler's Wells was that the standard of male dancing wasn't up to that of the female dancing, and that I really disliked the Bluebird, but those memories are so far back that they may not necessarily be relevant any longer!

A it's your son you're taking I'd day go for R&J - love the acting and sword fighting for the men! And the music....

I saw this company many years ago and really wasn't impressed so I'm pleased to see Janet's comment and will be interested to hear what you think when you do go :-)

Julie

How well you know my son ... yes, the sword fighting gets it every time.

The reason he gave was that the friend who is accompanying us hasn't seen Romeo and Juliet and he felt she needed to see it to enhance her musical education!

Like yourself I saw this company a few years ago and was not impressed, but will post a review after our trip to Scunnie.

Meadowblythe

• Like 1

Oops, sorry, didn't read your original post right, did I?! Son, not daughter :( That might make a difference, I suppose. Mind you, I have no idea who choreographed their R&J, unless it was the guy with the double-barrelled name which escapes me at the moment.

• Like 1