Snacks

Dancers Dad

On 16/02/2022 at 06:50, Pas de Quatre said:

Now that big business has latched on to Vegetarian and Vegan production you need to be wary. Read labels carefully for ingredients and where they come from. Much of branded produce is highly processed, bad for the body and bad for the planet. 

And often bad on the wallet too!! 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

And often bad on the wallet too!! 

As a vegan I am not sure what we are comparing here re: costs. A plant based diet does not need to include highly processed food. There is a plethora of options and of varying quality.  However, I can hopefully vouch that no animal has been harmed or killed in the manufacturing process. Let’s hope the workers are treated well and paid a fair wage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Drdee said:

As a vegan I am not sure what we are comparing here re: costs. A plant based diet does not need to include highly processed food. There is a plethora of options and of varying quality.  However, I can hopefully vouch that no animal has been harmed or killed in the manufacturing process. Let’s hope the workers are treated well and paid a fair wage.

I so agree that a vegan (or indeed any healthy) diet need not be overly expensive....I guess my gripe is the heavily marketed as ‘healthy vegan’ or ‘high protein’ individual snack packaged foods which seem to be hiked up in price & hype. Guess it’s all about smart shopping, smart cooking & smart storing (use the freezer more) & portioning (wrap & take your own homemade snacks) or look for the box of four which often are less than twice the price of buying 2 of the individual snack bars on the supermarket shelves (seriously, a bar I like was  £1.49 individually positioned in the lunch section but in the biscuit section a box of 4 was only £2.20!!) 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I so agree that a vegan (or indeed any healthy) diet need not be overly expensive....I guess my gripe is the heavily marketed as ‘healthy vegan’ or ‘high protein’ individual snack packaged foods which seem to be hiked up in price & hype. Guess it’s all about smart shopping, smart cooking & smart storing (use the freezer more) & portioning (wrap & take your own homemade snacks) or look for the box of four which often are less than twice the price of buying 2 of the individual snack bars on the supermarket shelves (seriously, a bar I like was  £1.49 individually positioned in the lunch section but in the biscuit section a box of 4 was only £2.20!!) 

That’s shocking the prices charged for individual bars.

Many homemade smoothies are relatively inexpensive and easy to make. Once anyone gets the hang of them they can create their own using fresh or frozen fruit/veg mix.
I’ve just made one of peanut butter, with a banana, soya milk and alpro yoghurt no additives/preservatives whilst being very filling. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, balletbean said:

That’s shocking the prices charged for individual bars.

Many homemade smoothies are relatively inexpensive and easy to make. Once anyone gets the hang of them they can create their own using fresh or frozen fruit/veg mix.
I’ve just made one of peanut butter, with a banana, soya milk and alpro yoghurt no additives/preservatives whilst being very filling. 

This is one of our favourite combinations along with some oatmeal.

• Like 1