Entry into Year 8 auditions

Ballet Power

39 minutes ago, Ballet Power said:

Anyone else’s child in year 7 now and auditioning? My dd is auditioning for associates and vocational schools. She wasn’t ready last year but has now decided she wants it! I’m presuming it’s even harder to get a place in the higher years.  

it is my understanding that  Y8  places  depend on attrition  / assessing out of those who entered at y7    hence the difficulty   

11 hours ago, Ballet Power said:

Anyone else’s child in year 7 now and auditioning? My dd is auditioning for associates and vocational schools. She wasn’t ready last year but has now decided she wants it! I’m presuming it’s even harder to get a place in the higher years.  

I’m not sure about other vocational schools but RBS has recently changed their structure so there is no longer any possibility of a child being assessed out. As I understand it, Students are now guaranteed their place in the school for 3 years (Yr 7,8,9) as the first phase of their training and then all students re-audition to join the  new training phase which is the next 2 years (years 10-11 and also aligns with academics for GCSE) It would be harder to join in year 8 as there will be fewer places available but not impossible if there are still spaces available in that year group. 

• Like 1

I must say I almost think the year commitments should be years 7 & 8, then reaudition for a committed 3 year place for years 8/10/11 as it must be really hard to join with your chosen GCSE subjects but no experience of the teachers or facilities or fellow classmates for those…although also much can change about a young persons ability/desire/physique suitability (hate saying that…) during later stages of year 8, and in years 9/10 & beyond….

It’s a case of presenting opportunities & see what may become possible I guess. Good luck 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/11/2021 at 23:19, Ballet Power said:

My daughter is applying to 2 vocational schools for a year 8 place. It will be very difficult as there won’t be many if any places. But she really enjoyed the audition process last year and wants to do it again. It’s all experience and in my view it’s good to stay on their radar. Good luck to your DD x 

• Like 1