Further problems for ROH

Sky News claims that David Ross, chair of the Board of Trustees at the Opera House, is likely to resign due to government pressure to remain as a trustee of the National Portrait Gallery. In the short while that he has headed ROH he has been generous, notably in buying back the David Hockney portrait of David Webster, and his wide circle of influential political contacts would have continued to be helpful to the Opera House.

54 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

This was in the Sunday Times yesterday. I’m not sure I would describe it as “further problems” though.

It's poor publicity for ROH again though, especially when ex-Chancellor George Osbourne's name was bandied about as a possible replacement. I can't say I would be in favour of his appointment given the current atmosphere of cronyism & sleaze within the Conservative government & another chum being placed at ROH might be ill-timed.

• Like 6

Apparently, David Ross will resign from the ROH IF he is offered a further term at The National Portrait Gallery (NPG).  People are not allowed to head up two major organisations and, when he was appointed to the ROH, it was in anticipation of his term at the NPG coming to an end.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Apparently, David Ross will resign from the ROH IF he is offered a further term at The National Portrait Gallery (NPG).  People are not allowed to head up two major organisations and, when he was appointed to the ROH, it was in anticipation of his term at the NPG coming to an end.

Exactly.  I see nothing negative for the ROH here, other than they would have to go through the process of finding another chair of trustees (and I’m sure they can manage that).

• Like 3

I'm sorry my heading seems to have been construed as negative. I wasn't being critical of the ROH, on the contrary, I felt it was an additional problem, and extra uncertainty, after all the difficulties caused by the pandemic.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Diandri said:

It's poor publicity for ROH again though, especially when ex-Chancellor George Osbourne's name was bandied about as a possible replacement. I can't say I would be in favour of his appointment given the current atmosphere of cronyism & sleaze within the Conservative government & another chum being placed at ROH might be ill-timed.

At least, unlike the current government, he seems to have a genuine interest in the arts. 

• Like 2