Honest market research/feedback from parents and teachers sought!

drdance

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well. I'm looking for some help from parents and teachers regarding the current state of the dance training options for students aged 10+.

A little bit of background info:

In 2009 I finished a PhD which had a specific focus and found that professional ballet dancers did not have the fitness levels required for the demands of performance, and that technique class and rehearsal were not sufficient to train the elements of fitness needed. Therefore dancers were suffering, or at greater risk of fatigue-related injuries and illnesses. This was the first full PhD to publish a lot of data on this topic and I like to think that it has played a part in real change in how dancers are trained world over the last 10 years. 

However, my personal interest isn't in professional dancers, it is in training children and adolescents safely and effectively. Therefore, I set up MIDAS in 2011 to provide monthly additional training, with an emphasis on safe dance practice, and equal balance between technique, artistry and fitness. At the time there were very few options for students to take supplementary classes and what did exist in the Midlands were limited to RBS associates, and Elmhurst (which only had juniors at the time). 

Fast-forward 10 years and the world is very different! COVID has affected all our lives, and in recent years there's been an explosion of 'associate' / additional training schemes from anywhere and everywhere. I also feel like a lot of young dancers and dance teachers are more aware of the need of additional fitness training. Is there still a need/call for what we offered MIDAS? 

My question to parents and teachers (especially in the Midlands please) is: What are you looking for in terms of additional training for your children/students? Is this available in your area? Is there still a need for MIDAS? Are you looking for something different? Has the COVID pandemic altered how you spend weekends? (eg more priority on family time and less on travelling miles to associate classes etc). I'm interested in genuine, honest and open feedback please. 

Please do not name or identify any specific teacher, school or programme.

Many thanks,

Emily aka DrDance

15 minutes ago, drdance said:

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well. I'm looking for some help from parents and teachers regarding the current state of the dance training options for students aged 10+.

In 2009 I finished a PhD which had a specific focus and found that professional ballet dancers did not have the fitness levels required for the demands of performance, and that technique class and rehearsal were not sufficient to train the elements of fitness needed. Therefore dancers were suffering, or at greater risk of fatigue-related injuries and illnesses. This was the first full PhD to publish a lot of data on this topic and I like to think that it has played a part in real change in how dancers are trained world over the last 10 years. 

However, my personal interest isn't in professional dancers, it is in training children and adolescents safely and effectively. Therefore, I set up MIDAS in 2011 to provide monthly additional training, with an emphasis on safe dance practice, and equal balance between technique, artistry and fitness. At the time there were very few options for students to take supplementary classes and what did exist in the Midlands were limited to RBS associates, and Elmhurst (which only had juniors at the time). 

Fast-forward 10 years and the world is very different! COVID has affected all our lives, and in recent years there's been an explosion of 'associate' / additional training schemes from anywhere and everywhere. I also feel like a lot of young dancers and dance teachers are more aware of the need of additional fitness training. Is there still a need/call for what we offered MIDAS? 

My question to parents and teachers (especially in the Midlands please) is: What are you looking for in terms of additional training for your children/students? Is this available in your area? Is there still a need for MIDAS? Are you looking for something different? Has the COVID pandemic altered how you spend weekends? (eg more priority on family time and less on travelling miles to associate classes etc). I'm interested in genuine, honest and open feedback please. 

Many thanks,

Emily aka DrDance

Hello. We are based in South Wales and there is very little additional training here. We have had to attend 2 schemes in Bath and London to get extra training, which means a lot of travelling. I think it very much would depend on where you are based, but here in Wales I think any additional extra training would be amazing! What I think is different about yours is perhaps a focus on fitness? The associate classes she attends are focused on technique, and a little on conditioning but not fitness. In fact in the main associate class she attends, I've been watching in zoom and they do very little movement at all! So I think perhaps a fitness and conditioning focused class would be useful. My daughter is about to start vocational school and dances a lot, she is very strong and flexible but actually struggles if she has to run anywhere. So I think some cardio mixed in as additional training would be really useful. X

• Like 2

Hi Emily,

I agree with the post above about how important fitness/conditioning/strengthening is for young dancers. The associate programmes my dd attends do a little of this but it is definitely very limited.  It’s something my dd really needs to work on so perhaps that is informing my view a bit, but I think we would actively seek out a scheme where this was the key focus. That said, the travelling is more of an issue now - I think being forced to stay at home/local has made us realise how exhausting our weekends are in ‘normal’ times. Also our finances have taken a bit of a hit so we are having to be more cautious about what we spend on dd’s dancing - and I imagine we aren’t the only ones. 

Sorry, not sure how helpful any of this is though! 

• Like 1

My DDs are lucky enough to have a local teacher who has always built in conditioning to her classes. Both my DDs have a very good understanding of how their bodies work and how to protect them in movement - this whole ethos now goes throughout the school, especially in the ballet, acro and PBT classes. When my eldest DD started a regional associates scheme in year 7, she was more than ready for the challenging conditioning element, which takes the first 45 mins of every class. I've watched it, and it's tough! 

As a parent, I really value this. I know that if / when they move away from dancing so much, they have learnt things about themselves physically which will support them throughout their lives. My eldest DD's current plan B is PE teacher! 

I wonder if there's a gap in supporting and training local dance teachers to understand the importance of fitness and strength work in dance and provide ideas of how to build this into classes or timetables? I imagine some teachers will worry that children could find this boring, but I've seen how it can be taught in an engaging way. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Streetdancer said:

My DDs are lucky enough to have a local teacher who has always built in conditioning to her classes. Both my DDs have a very good understanding of how their bodies work and how to protect them in movement - this whole ethos now goes throughout the school, especially in the ballet, acro and PBT classes. When my eldest DD started a regional associates scheme in year 7, she was more than ready for the challenging conditioning element, which takes the first 45 mins of every class. I've watched it, and it's tough! 

As a parent, I really value this. I know that if / when they move away from dancing so much, they have learnt things about themselves physically which will support them throughout their lives. My eldest DD's current plan B is PE teacher! 

I wonder if there's a gap in supporting and training local dance teachers to understand the importance of fitness and strength work in dance and provide ideas of how to build this into classes or timetables? I imagine some teachers will worry that children could find this boring, but I've seen how it can be taught in an engaging way. 

We also aren’t in the Midlands but can concur that with the benefits for the introduction of Body-Conditioning (Stretch and Tone) lessons. A few years back my DD and her peers saw a massive improvement in the syllabus classes for those that participated in the additional B-C classes. During those classes the teacher (past vocational School pupil) also provided info about healthy diet/injuries/treatment/general well-being  etc. Which was provided in a relaxed atmosphere like a general conversation amongst friends rather than a strict teacher v’s pupil lesson.  Wasn’t timetabled just evolved over time. DD still remembers those classes fondly. 

• Like 2

On 01/04/2021 at 19:07, drdance said:

Hi everyone,

Many thanks,

Emily aka DrDance

Hiya I think every studio is different, where my D’s is now they do PBT and Body Con 50/50 fitness and stretch but over lockdown we’ve found a a dance physio who has been fab looking at all the things which you have mentioned, we’ve also been doing low impact weights with the local gymnastics club which again I only know of one other dance school who includes weights in its training programme, the dance physio also includes low impact weights into some of his sessions.   

7 hours ago, drdance said:

Thanks everyone. Still doesn’t help with my decision really!!! 

Do we still need a scheme such as MIDAS?

Yes your teaching is fantastic and my DS came away with so much if it wasn’t for it clashing with another associates we would still be with

you now or if it had been left to me,  Most associates don’t teach as in-depth as you do especially with PBT,  I have never heard a bad word said against MIDAS and will always continue to recommend you to others.    My DS also enjoyed his open zoom classes especially the ballet and the conditioning.  xx. 

• Like 1

@Raquelle @Pinkpip100  @Streetdancer @balletbean  @WrapsnBows

Thank you all for your feedback. I've had a bit to think about and based on your feedback I've had some more thoughts about future directions.

Next step - larger consultation! Please complete and/or share this very short survey (less than 5 minutes) 

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/H9SQPG6

Many thanks

Emily

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, drdance said:

@Raquelle @Pinkpip100  @Streetdancer @balletbean  @WrapsnBows

Thank you all for your feedback. I've had a bit to think about and based on your feedback I've had some more thoughts about future directions.

Next step - larger consultation! Please complete and/or share this very short survey (less than 5 minutes) 

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/H9SQPG6

Many thanks

Emily

Done for you and shared xx glad to be of help, hope you find the answers and please don’t give in you and your teachers are amazing. 

• Like 1