World Ballet Festival in Tokyo, August 2021

I am not sure if this gala is really going to happen, but NBS has announced their World Ballet Festival planned for this August. Fingers crossed that the COVID-19 pandemic will end till then. 

https://www.nbs.or.jp/english/news/the-16th-world-ballet-festival-to-be-held-in-august-2021.html

Performance Dates and Venue

Program A

Friday 13 August 2021, 14:00 @Tokyo Bunka Kaikan, Tokyo

Saturday 14 August 2021, 14:00 @Tokyo Bunka Kaikan, Tokyo

Sunday 15 August 2021, 14:00 @Tokyo Bunka Kaikan, Tokyo

Monday 16 August 2021, 14:00 @Tokyo Bunka Kaikan, Tokyo

Program B

Thursday 19 August 2021, 14:00 @Tokyo Bunka Kaikan, Tokyo

Friday 20 August 2021, 14:00 @Tokyo Bunka Kaikan, Tokyo

Saturday 21 August 2021, 14:00 @Tokyo Bunka Kaikan, Tokyo

Sunday 22 August 2021, 14:00 @Tokyo Bunka Kaikan, Tokyo

Participating Artists

(as of 18 February 2021)

Amandine Albisson, Ballet de l'Opéra national de Paris

Maria Alexandrova, The Bolshoi Ballet

Elisa Badenes, The Stuttgart Ballet

Alessandra Ferri, The Royal Ballet / American Ballet Theatre

Mathieu Ganio, Ballet de l'Opéra national de Paris

Dorothée Gilbert, Ballet de l'Opéra national de Paris

Marcelo Gomes, Semperoper Ballett

David Hallberg, The Australian Ballet

Mathias Heymann, Ballet de l'Opéra national de Paris

Kimin Kim, Mariinsky Ballet

Sarah Lamb, The Royal Ballet

Vladislav Lantratov, The Bolshoi Ballet

Hugo Marchand, Ballet de l'Opéra national de Paris

Vadim Muntagirov, The Royal Ballet

Marianela Núñez, The Royal Ballet

Hannah O'Neill, Ballet de l'Opéra national de Paris

Gil Roman, Béjart Ballet Lausanne

Daniil Simkin, American Ballet Theatre / Staatsballett Berlin

Madoka Sugai, Hamburg Ballet

Alexandr Trusch, Hamburg Ballet

Diana Vishneva, Mariinsky Ballet

Friedemann Vogel, The Stuttgart Ballet

* More artists will be announced at a later date.

Ticket Prices

S=¥27,000  A=¥24,000  B=¥21,000  C=¥17,000  D=¥13,000  E=¥9,000

* Please note that we are to present the performances with the utmost caution in line with national and regional guidelines for novel coronavirus infection prevention measures, and that the performance dates and details are subject to change depending on circumstances. We will be posting on our website a list of novel coronavirus precautions upon attending the performance. Audience members are kindly asked to read it before attending the performance.

* Casting as of 18 February 2021 is subject to change. Changes in the cast do not entitle holders to return or exchange tickets.

• 5 months later...
27 minutes ago, oncnp said:

This is apparently going ahead this Friday with some cast changes.   The 16th World Ballet Festival: Program Updates and Cast Changes / / NBS-Japan Performing Arts Foundation

I didn't see anything on the English pages about streaming. Could one of the Forum's Japanese speakers have a look please? 

I can’t see any streaming plan on Japanese page, too.

Let’s wait.

The organiser might be planning it.

If it happens, it would be wonderful :)

Edited by yumiko
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, yumiko said:

I can’t see any streaming plan on Japanese page, too.

Let’s wait.

The organiser might be planning it.

If it happens, it would be wonderful :)

Thank you for checking!

I don’t think they will stream this performance, the organizer cannot afford such costs and some works have copyright issues. The overseas guests have been quarantined in a bubble and seating is not full which means the organizer has to pay extra costs. The increasing number of COVID-19 cases here, most of them are Delta variant is very serious thanks to the olympics that they should not have took place, and vaccination is not enough here. 

Anyway I will be going to see the first day of this gala so I will report. But I might return my second ticket because the situation here is really not good and it might be dangerous to visit theatres. 

Oh Naomi, I'm so sorry to hear that the numbers are rising again in Tokyo.

Of course we are currently known as Plague Island and the numbers here to my eyes are frightening - the only glimmer being that double vacc'd people who catch the virus are much less likely to be seriously ill.

Please do take care.

• Like 5

Sorry, Naomi and Jan! Here in the Washington DC area, the “masks indoors” mandate is back, courtesy of the Delta variant. My big hope is that the theatres here (& in NYC) reopen in September, as planned. I want to see that curtain rise on the moonlit Serenade on 21 September. I cry just thinking about it...”Curtain up - 21 September...”

• Like 2

World Ballet Festival Program A has ended and the next program B will begin on Thursday. As the number of participating dancers were smaller and Hugo Marchand was unable to arrive in time for Program A the gala was smaller than usual but nevertheless it is impressive to have many star dancers coming to Tokyo where the COVID-19 situation getting more and more serious. 

You can see some glimpses of the gala through the Instagram story of Daniil Simkin, Vladislav Lantratov, Vladimir Shkryalov, Svetlana Zakharova, especially Mathias Heymann's fabulous leaps from Flower Festival at Genzano (on Simkin's Insgtram story).  

For me, the highlights was Heymann, Krysanova and Kimin Kim in Corsaire, Smirnova and Shkryalov in Romeo and Juliet, as well as the memorial video of Carla Fracci and Patrick Dupont. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

I wonder, Naomi, have the memorial videos for Carla Fracci and Patrick Dupont been put up on line anywhere?  Grateful for your kind advice.  

Not at this point, but perhaps it might happen afterwards. The footage were from previous World Ballet Festival performances, La Sylphide for Fracci, and the Jester from Swan Lake, Don Quixote by Dupond, all very fabulous and valuable so I hope this would be put online. 

Here is a pointe shoe worn by Fracci at the 1976 World Ballet Festival, on display in the foyer. 

resize0018.jpg

Edited by Naomi M
typo
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

According to NBS the organizer's website, they are considering to stream the World Ballet Festival in a fee-based service paid service, although there are some issues to be solved. 

They say they are planning to make it possible by the end of the year. I did see some video cameras that were filming, but not ones for broadcast quality.  But anyway it should be lovely to see the gala online because there were some very superb performances. 

• Like 10