Ballet, Opera Houses and destination image

Carlos Acosta did dance Spartacus in London in the fabulous Bolshoi season at the London Coliseum in 2006 or 2007. That was also the season we saw Osipova /Vasiliev debut in Don Q together. Those were the days! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FLOSS said:

The Bolshoi occasionally bring Gregorovich's Spartacus to Covent Garden when they come to London but the ballet has never been performed by the Royal Ballet and no one in their right mind would ever contemplate acquiring it for the company.

This is going a bit off-topic but I'm curious as to what the expert opinion is on reasons why Spartacus shouldn't be done by the RB? WHen I saw the Bolshoi do it at the ROH last summer I couldn't really imagine the RB doing it but that's just my very inexpert instinct so I'd like to know if there are actual concrete reasons?

Yes you are all absolutely right. I recall working some shifts in Covent Garden where Acosta danced in Spartacus somewhere around 2007/08 and assumed it was the RB but it was the Bolshoi visiting with him as the invited lead. Good point!

Thanks so much for your contribution to the survey! I am astounded by the amount of responses and quality of the data we captured within a week. I will have a busy few months ahead of me putting the paper together but got some truly excellent material to work with. Thanks again for your time!

• Like 2

I too struggled with the idea of uncoupling the memory of fabulous performances from the opera house and also the city.   It would be quite possible to love an opera house like a museum or art gallery and go on a tour of it without being much impressed by performances there.  

My impression is that many opera houses worldwide are very beautiful inside and serve as attractions for that city.

One memorable activity early on in lockdown was attempting to identify  these beauties .... (clue:  Paris is not one)