Grishko Dream Pointe vs. Dream Pointe 2007

Aurora3

i'de  suggest looking  at some of Straight to the pointe's   videos on youtube or IGTV as Leanne has recently done a number of videos on the diffrent models  of Grishko/ Nikolay shoes and the  last families  of the shoes 

• Like 1

“The pointe shop” on YouTube is great for descriptions (US so the DP2007 is called allure). I’ve tried both, made on the same last so will fit similar shape feet but 2007 has a pre-formed shank so they feel quite different to me. I think the only way is to try them both on and see how they feel..

• Like 1

My dd has her 2nd pair of Grishco dream pointe 2007 pre-arched and whilst she likes them as a second pair, she still prefers gaynor minden for durability and fit! She’s full time vocational and has high arched very strong feet. She never thought that she would get another pointe shoe other than gaynor Minden to suite her. She had her first pair of dream pointe from Straight to the Pointe and has since ordered and fitted same shoe from Dancique. Hope that helps. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I tried on the Dream Pointe 2007 and I think it would be much better for me as strangely enough, the shank in the demi-pointe area and the box were MUCH softer (in the same shank strength!) than the ones of Dream Pointe. But the shop owner is now ordering Grishko 3007 also for me for comparison, so I haven´t bought it yet! Anyone who wears 3007 here?

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but thought this would be the best place to bring up. The Dreampointes are the first pair of shoes I have had, for which the shank hasn't died within a handful of hours of wear. As such, I don't really have a sense of what it's like to have the rest of the shoe break down. In the last couple of days, I have been feeling a lot of pressure in my 4th and 5th toes (which are really tapered, so they usually sit on a lambswool wad I stuff in the corner, and my metatarsals take the weight on that side), as if the box has expanded. However, the box still feels firm from the outside - frankly, other than the crease at the vamp and a slight softening of the wings, not much different to when new even though they've had close to 30 hours of wear by now. Does anyone have any similar experiences? Is this a case of the Dreampointes "dying" differently to a traditional shoe, or equally likely, my weird octopus feet changing shape yet again and needing a refit?

(My new pair have been on backorder for over a month, and with a wait time of another month now, so I can't do a direct comparison.)

• 4 weeks later...

Just to follow up on this, as info on the Dream Pointe seems quite scarce across the internet. 

I managed to make my current pair last in the wings by aggressively gluing the wings after every hour or so of pointe class, and this, together with adjusting the amount of lambswool, made them last another 10 hours. I actually started wondering if I was just being paranoid about them dying due to my previous experiences, until one shank snapped clean in (the usual) demi-pointe in the last combo of class - that was a fun pirouette. And pity, as they were so beautifully moulded and comfy at that point!

It turns out when deconstructing that the DP shank is plastic layered with canvas, building up from 1 layer in the heel, 2 in the mid-foot, and 3 at the demi-pointe, where it is over 5mm thick. Pulling apart both shoes, I found that the shank on the other shoe had actually split mid-way as well,  but the pressure from the top layer of plastic closest to the foot and the pin at the heel, kept the shoe together. 

In other words - it seems like the DP feeling softer in the shank with wear is actually due to the lower layers snapping, yet the shoe is constructed so it can still function for a very long time after that happens. The MF shank feels, out of the bag, similar to a brand new M Grishko shank. Being the nerd that I am, and preferring the 10 hours in feel, I am going to try a SF shank next time from a materials science perspective and see if the box dies before the shank this time. Still, I've had 8-10x longer wear from the DPs than the 2007s/Novas I used to kill in 4-5 hours, so I am super-grateful!

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 29/01/2022 at 22:10, Meetmeatthebarre said:

Just to follow up on this, as info on the Dream Pointe seems quite scarce across the internet. 

I managed to make my current pair last in the wings by aggressively gluing the wings after every hour or so of pointe class, and this, together with adjusting the amount of lambswool, made them last another 10 hours. I actually started wondering if I was just being paranoid about them dying due to my previous experiences, until one shank snapped clean in (the usual) demi-pointe in the last combo of class - that was a fun pirouette. And pity, as they were so beautifully moulded and comfy at that point!

It turns out when deconstructing that the DP shank is plastic layered with canvas, building up from 1 layer in the heel, 2 in the mid-foot, and 3 at the demi-pointe, where it is over 5mm thick. Pulling apart both shoes, I found that the shank on the other shoe had actually split mid-way as well,  but the pressure from the top layer of plastic closest to the foot and the pin at the heel, kept the shoe together. 

In other words - it seems like the DP feeling softer in the shank with wear is actually due to the lower layers snapping, yet the shoe is constructed so it can still function for a very long time after that happens. The MF shank feels, out of the bag, similar to a brand new M Grishko shank. Being the nerd that I am, and preferring the 10 hours in feel, I am going to try a SF shank next time from a materials science perspective and see if the box dies before the shank this time. Still, I've had 8-10x longer wear from the DPs than the 2007s/Novas I used to kill in 4-5 hours, so I am super-grateful!

Also just to help you in the future - we can customise parts of the shoes to make them last longer. Do get in touch if you need assistance.