Open Barre Podcast with Brandon Lawrence

Hi Odyssey, thanks for asking and for your support! Season Five will actually begin next week, Friday 7th, so please tune in. I'll also post on here to remind everyone. We've both been very busy since the last season but I'll leave you to listen in next week to find out more...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, ToThePointe said:

Hi Odyssey, thanks for asking and for your support! Season Five will actually begin next week, Friday 7th, so please tune in. I'll also post on here to remind everyone. We've both been very busy since the last season but I'll leave you to listen in next week to find out more...

Great news that this is starting again.  I see on Instagram that you are posting reminders about your previous seasons, and I am therefore going to be listening to a few eps (getting down with the kids there!! 😄 ) before the 7th.  Can't wait to see what the new season holds! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The first episode of Season Five is now live! You can listen via Spotify, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts by typing in Open Barre in their search boxes. Alternatively, you can listen by clicking the links below. Enjoy!

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/open-barre/id1521293558

https://www.spreaker.com/user/openbarre/open-barre-s5-episode-1

• Like 3

Welcome back Open Barre.  I've missed you!  What a lovely chat between Julia and Brandon, as always.  So interesting to hear about Brandon's two guest stints this year with Capetown Ballet.  And congratulations Julia on your recent wedding! 

Really looking forward to the new season....I am sure you will have wonderful guests!

• 2 weeks later...

In the second episode of our fifth season, which went out today on Apple / Spotify / Spreaker, we were joined by Julie Bowers, former dancer with The Royal Ballet, CEO of BBO dance and co-creator of Grad Pro.

I'm sure you will find Julie's CV as impressive as we did...!

https://www.spreaker.com/user/openbarre/open-barre-s5-episode-2-18-10-2022-20-55

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

In the third episode of our fifth season of Open Barre, we were joined by Sabine Naghdi. 

Sabine is the author of 'Tears of a Ballet Mum' and is also mother to Yasmine Naghdi. In light of Yasmine's incredible performance last night, it's been really interesting to hear Sabine's experience as a parent of a ballerina and to understand in more depth the journey it takes to become a Principal ballerina. 

You can access via Apple / Spotify / Spreaker or wherever you get your podcasts.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/openbarre/open-barre-s5-episode-3-31-10-2022-18-46

• Like 5

Love your podcast Julia & Brandon. I’m quite new to baller and am having a wonderful time working my way through the past episodes. It’s made my commute to work something I look forward to.

The episode with Mrs Nagdhi was fascinating, she is clearly a very wise and grounded lady - having a mum like that must’ve been absolute gold whilst going through ballet training and rising through the ranks.

Love the episode with Leanne Benjamin too - especially the part where she said her fantasy ballet would be her and David Beckham in a private studio doing very intimate choreography that would involve her having to wrap her legs around him a lot 🤣🔥

Anna Rose O’Sullivan was a delight to listen to as well. Can’t wait to discover what other gems are in the back episodes as well as looking forward to new ones. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much @Angela Essex for your kind words and we're both so happy that you've been enjoying the podcast! 

We have another exciting episode - this time with Laura Day who is a Principal Character Artist and Assistant Répétiteur at Birmingham Royal Ballet. It was great to hear how ballet is scheduled and organised in a company rep and to hear Laura's experience being *we think* the first ever woman to dance Sancho Panza in Don Q! Episode below..

https://www.spreaker.com/user/openbarre/open-barre-s5-episode-4-14-11-2022-17-45

Edited by ToThePointe
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, Sim said:

The new episode, out today, features Alexander Campbell and Claire Calvert as Brandon and Julia’s guests.  A fun and wide-ranging chat.  I hope @ToThePointe will be posting a link soon.  Otherwise, it’s on all the usual platforms.  Enjoy…I sure did!

There is a link in both of their IG stories (Mr & Ms Campbell)

I’ve just enjoyed listening to the latest episode. Very entertaining hearing  Mr & Mrs Campbell discuss everything from home improvements through to their latest project-  Prima Dance Academy. Loved their fantasy ballet choices- so typical of Claire to be loyal to her original Siegfried and Alex’ s evident ‘man crush’ for Vadim 
It’s also fun having regular updates with each podcast on what Brandon is doing and the activities at BRB.

Thank you Julia.

• Like 3

On 18/12/2020 at 01:36, ToThePointe said:

Our latest episode features such an interesting conversation with Jonathan Lo, conductor and Music Director at Northern Ballet.

(This is an old episode) ...and now Music Director of Australian Ballet (if he can find the time hem hem).

I just want to say, @ToThePointe, how much I have enjoyed the podcast so far (Tzu-Chao and his garden, Ruth Brill whose Arcadia I liked so much when in England in 2017, Miss Benjamin the amazing, Mr Avis the fabulous, Miss Gittens and her interesting path to BRB, Alex Campbell and Claire Calvert...).

Whoever came up with the idea of the fantasy ballet question is a genius. I'd certainly watch Alex and Mr Muntagirov as the Odd Couple!

As others have said, Julia and Brandon work very well together, and whether it's "just them" or they speak with a guest (or two, or more) it's always an entertaining and informative listen.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/12/2022 at 16:57, Sim said:

@Linnzi5 and @Silke H as two fellow super fans of Will Bracewell I can highly recommend this podcast.  Fun, informative and jaunty!  

Thanks, Sim. I did listen and really enjoyed it! He comes across as a modest and interesting young man! I love interviews/articles/behind the scenes information, so this really interested me. :) 

• Like 2

On 17/12/2022 at 16:57, Sim said:

@Linnzi5 and @Silke H as two fellow super fans of Will Bracewell I can highly recommend this podcast.  Fun, informative and jaunty!  

I am a super fan, I think! I have booked to see Will and Fumi in Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella! 😮 I will try and get to see other performers too though.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Last week we posted an exciting bonus episode for all of our lovely listeners to say thanks for their support and downloads during Season 5! We were joined by the wonderful Robert Carter, AKA Olga Supphozova AKA Yuri Smirnov, legendary dancer with Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo. Robert has been trailblazing through the dance world for decades and there's still no stopping him. We discussed what it's like to dance in such an iconic ballet company and to tour all over the world...

You can listen via Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Spreaker or wherever you get your podcasts. Or you can click the link below!

https://www.spreaker.com/user/openbarre/open-barre-s5-episode-bonus 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A very interesting episode...having loved the Trocks for 20 years it was great to hear Bobby Carter being interviewed and giving his history, etc.  Thanks for the bonus podcast, and thanks for series 5, which I enjoyed immensely.  Bring on series 6!  :)

• Like 2