London Junior Ballet 2020

RachH

Did anyone else’s child audition for LJB associates today? 

My 8 year old was delighted to be offered a place for a September start, It would be lovely to virtually meet anyone else who will also be attending. 

Hi, yes my 10 year old daughter has been offered a place. She did it at 3.30pm yesterday. They may have been on zoom together. She was so happy to be accepted & we didn't expect to hear so soon...

2 hours ago, Ver24 said:

Hi, yes my 10 year old daughter has been offered a place. She did it at 3.30pm yesterday. They may have been on zoom together. She was so happy to be accepted & we didn't expect to hear so soon...

Great news, well done to your daughter! Mine was at 2.30 so in the younger group I think, she’s year 3 at school and will be in LJB group 1. Just doing the paperwork now and will also be signing her up to the repertoire class to make our journey seem less far (about 1 1/2 hours each way). :) 

2 hours ago, Ver24 said:

Is your daughter also doing the RBS JA auditions? Our dance principal recommended RBS and LJB to us as options to have a go at (I didn’t actually think she’d get in!) We’ve been told RBS auditions will be in the Autumn now.

Edited by RachH
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

London Junior & Senior Ballet is a very special associate programme, Yes it is known to be very challenging but lays the foundation for a career. Lucky dancers to be chosen if they enjoy it half as much as my child and friends did they will be very happy indeed and make friends for life. 

• Like 1

It may have changed but year groups are arranged as to how your child's body is developing, as they all have facility but develop at different stages, they often spend two years In one group but it depends on their development as to which group that might be. 
The important thing is that they have been accepted, they are in safe and very experienced hands, they will progress at speed and a great foundation is laid physically and most importantly mentally for their future chosen career whatever direction they might chose. 

• 11 months later...

My daughter’s friend auditioned and I don’t think she has heard yet. Last year we heard the same day as the auditions so it is obviously a bit different this time. Fingers crossed you get good news soon!

2 minutes ago, BalletBunNet said:

My daughter auditioned on Sunday and we haven't heard anything yet. The email with audition details said we should hear by 23rd May. 

It's only a week to wait but it does seem soooo long! 

Was she in the younger or older group? I thought there were quite a lot of kids in the younger group.

I think they have a junior group and a senior group for auditions. When I picked up my daughter I thought, wow, quite a lot of kids! The vast majority in personalized dance gear, and at least 10 of them seemed to come from one particular dance school based on the hoodies. Quite intimidating!

34 minutes ago, BalletBunNet said:

She was at 2.30pm and we were 5 mins late (traffic!!!) so didn't clock numbers. Didn't realise there was more than one group!

42 minutes ago, BalletBunNet said:

My daughter auditioned on Sunday and we haven't heard anything yet. The email with audition details said we should hear by 23rd May. 

It's only a week to wait but it does seem soooo long! 

Was she in the younger or older group? I thought there were quite a lot of kids in the younger group.

3 hours ago, BallerinaMum13 said:

I think they have a junior group and a senior group for auditions. When I picked up my daughter I thought, wow, quite a lot of kids! The vast majority in personalized dance gear, and at least 10 of them seemed to come from one particular dance school based on the hoodies. Quite intimidating!

Can I ask why you found it so intimidating? Maybe they have a good intake? No one should ever feel intimidated

• Like 1

I didn't find the number of kids intimidating. I found the presentation of some of them intimidating, like on some of those American TV shows. I was a competitive athlete too and honestly until we got close to national level, we didn't have the level of grooming and personalized gear that 7 year olds seem to have these days (I wasn't a ballerina but let's just say it was something similar to ballet). 

19 minutes ago, BallerinaMum13 said:

I didn't find the number of kids intimidating. I found the presentation of some of them intimidating, like on some of those American TV shows. I was a competitive athlete too and honestly until we got close to national level, we didn't have the level of grooming and personalized gear that 7 year olds seem to have these days (I wasn't a ballerina but let's just say it was something similar to ballet). 

I find this quite strange that because the girls were well groomed you found it intimidating? Surely for all auditions your child should be immaculate and look their best for any audition! Also the personalised gear is down to a dance school not the child and the dance school having this shows a good representation of where they are from. Very judgemental from yourself really these kids are only young, if you feel like this now god knows how you would feel if your child competes when they’re older.

• Like 1

I am sorry that I didn't realize that well groomed these days requires more than neat / solid ballet bun, clean / simple leotard, clean socks / tights and clean ballet shoes. I learn something new every day. I am sure that kids ultimately get judged on their potential, ability and skills. I also consider myself fortunate that my DD's ballet school (vocational ballet school in London that goes up to the age of 18) doesn't expect her to be a walking advert. I have no problem with competition. I personally medaled at the top level in international competitions myself but thank you for sharing your concern. 

Just to jump in and say my daughter has been attending LJB for a year. It is very welcoming and accommodating. Flexible and kind and fairly strict on uniform so everyone is level pegging. The girls will for sure be assessed on their ability, so if your daughters are accepted onto the course I have no doubt they will really enjoy it and feel very much on the same level as their peers. Good luck to all!!

• Like 4