RBS Virtual YAGP Scholarship 2020

MPatti

I am confused.  I thought RBS was no longer participating in YAGP, yet this was just posted today.  From RBS Facebook page

"We were very excited about attending the Youth America Grand Prix finals this year. Sadly this couldn't happen, but we are happy to say we are participating in the YAGP 2020 virtual Scholarship Audition scheme." 

Does anybody have any insight into this?

• Like 1

I think dancers competing at YAGP would view the awarding of places and scholarships as the key element in a school 'participating' in the competition!

Remember this letter from RBS in 2018 on the dangers of competition culture?

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/2018/11/07/ballet-competition-culture-are-we-putting-young-dancers-at-risk/

The RBS did not attend YAGP that year. 

YAGP has increased the age requirement/recommendation for when soloists dance en pointe.  Maybe that allowed the relationship to rekindle.

Edited by DD Driver
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As finals are cancelled this year instead there is a virtual scholarship round for those invited to finals. RBS are one of the partner schools listed on the scholarship form finalists have to fill out as part of the virtual scholarship process.

They haven't attended YAGP finals for a few years but it appears that was changing this year, until CV-19 prevented the finals taking place in New York. 

On 09/04/2020 at 23:30, DD Driver said:

The RBS did not attend YAGP that year. 

YAGP has increased the age requirement/recommendation for when soloists dance en pointe.  Maybe that allowed the relationship to rekindle.

Yes, it seems to be the case DD Driver.