Associate lessons

Jingles

Hi, newbie here! Hope I put this in the right place! My DS is 10 and took up ballet about 18 months ago and is the only boy in his ballet school, but loves it so much.

He is looking at auditioning for associate schemes this year (I know it’s a long shot, but his teacher thinks it’s worth giving a go) - was just wondering if anyone could tell us what the associate lessons are actually like? 

Thank you so much,

Jingles x 

Hi Jingles and welcome!  

We have a LOT of threads about Associates which will hopefully be of some help to you.  I have added the tag “Associates” which should appear under your thread title - if you click on the tag, all other threads with the same tag will appear as a list.  Have a read through and let us know if you have any specific questions. 

Kind regards,

Anna C

Where abouts are you? My son is y7 and does Hammond Chester and the new boys only Phoenix boys Birmingham and has just finished MIDAS again Birmingham as clashed but we know boys in others so fire away 

Edited by Anna C
Edited by Moderator
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anna C said:

@WrapsnBows Welcome to the Forum.  I have edited your post to remove mention of an institution we do not discuss here.  For more information, please see this thread:  

https://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/22271-from-the-moderators-topics-that-are-off-limits/

Kind regards,

Anna C

on behalf of Balletcoforum Moderators

Sorry didn’t realise as new to this page but I’d be interested to know why please if it’s an issue of safety as my DS son attends 

thank you

Thank you @Anna C 

Thank you @WrapsnBows sounds like your DS is busy! We are in the Bristol area, I’m all new to this and feeling a bit lost! I love the idea of him being able to spending time with likeminded boys doing what they love.

I found lots of really useful information about associate auditions😊.

He loves his normal lessons, and does work towards his exam in them, but just wondered what the longer lessons involved?

Is there more strength work, work on particular skills? See! I am totally clueless!!! 

Jx

Edited by Jingles
Spelling

Tring Park offer some specific boys only programmes - ‘kick start for boys’

https://www.tringpark.com/associated-courses/kick-start-boys-programme

and an upcoming day with opportunity to audition for funding towards associate type/holiday courses I believe 

https://www.tringpark.com/associated-courses/boys-day-of-dance-and-paul-watson-bursary

• Like 1

On 06/03/2020 at 14:32, Jingles said:

Was just wondering if anyone could tell us what the associate lessons are actually like? 

@Jingles to answer your original question, it does depend on the programme but you can expect more body conditioning and strength work than a syllabus class. There may be more emphasis on anatomy. Also, because there's no syllabus to follow, teachers set more mixed sequences (enchainments? sorry I'm rubbish with terminology!). This helps students get used to picking up steps quickly and thinking on their feet. Some programmes add another discipline e.g contemporary or jazz. The longer class definitely helps with stamina! 

Sorry that I can't help on boys' schemes though. 

• Like 1