Sign in to follow this  
JohnS

Bernard Haitink at 90

Radio 3 is broadcasting last night’s celebratory concert - Bernard Haitink conducting the LSO in Mozart’s Piano Concerto no 22 with Till Fellner and Bruckner’s 4th Symphony (Romantic).  The interval is devoted to an interview with Bernard Haitink.  So many memorable nights at the Royal Opera House and wonderful that Bernard Haitink is still conducting, a consummate musician.  I do hope Radio 3 also broadcasts the forthcoming Mahler 4 concert.

• Like 3

I see the LSO has already put the concert on YouTube:

• Like 1

Do you have the broadcast time for the concert, John? 

Hi Alison - 7:30 this evening and on iPlayer (or whatever it’s now called) for 30 days.  Well worth having a sneak preview of the end of the concert and the ovations on YouTube - whilst I’m definitely not a Bruckner aficionado, Bernard Haitink is wonderful.  I’d watch him conduct anything, even Happy Bithday, but he might get a surprise if the LSO did this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6wZCHFIplXE

Did he not conduct Romeo and Juliet circa 1989 when Markarova danced it with Bocca at Covent Garden?

Wow, what a long concert!  Or was the interval interview unusually long?  Unfortunately, I was in transit from the office during part of the Mozart.

3 minutes ago, Darlex said:

Not a bad cast! 

Indeed.  Near-luxury casting in the minor roles, too!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, alison said:

Wow, what a long concert!  Or was the interval interview unusually long?  Unfortunately, I was in transit from the office during part of the Mozart.

I think the interval was standard length and very good to hear Bernard Haitink reminiscing on his early years and 65 yeas on the podium.  The dvd 3 hours or whatever doesn’t start until 35 minutes in.  Perhaps time stands still/goes backwards in Bruckner - even with Bernard Haitink?  Quite a contrast with Meistersinger Act 3 which just flowed so freely and seemed over in no time at all.

Just in case anyone was still unaware, Haitink has recently confirmed that the "sabbatical" he was supposed to be taking was no such thing, and that he will actually be retiring from conducting at the end of this year, or whenever it was :( 

Thanks Alison - I didn’t know that and so I take it Bernard Haitink’s Proms performance will be one of his last.  I looked at tickets when booking opened but it was sold out and I see it’s not televised.

52 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Thanks Alison - I didn’t know that and so I take it Bernard Haitink’s Proms performance will be one of his last.  I looked at tickets when booking opened but it was sold out and I see it’s not televised.

You could get a Promming ticket on the day!

• Like 1

Do you think there might actually be an overnight queue for that one??