Musical theatre or Contemporary

Anne ley

My daughter will be auditioning for schools for 2019 entry. She has now decided she doesn’t want to go down the musical theatre route but instead audition for Rambert or London contemporary school . Are there any other similar schools that offer a degree ? I feel she is very limited, what work can this lead to after?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anne ley said:

My daughter will be auditioning for schools for 2019 entry. She has now decided she doesn’t want to go down the musical theatre route but instead audition for Rambert or London contemporary school . Are there any other similar schools that offer a degree ? I feel she is very limited, what work can this lead to after?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve been where you are now Anne (see my recent thread ‘Laine or Rambert’). My daughter was offered both and chose Rambert. My head was saying Laine because on the face of it employability prospects seem better, but the end of the day I let her follow her heart to Rambert. If you look at Rambert’s webpage or Instagram - so far they have announced contracts for this years graduates at BalletBoyz, New English Ballet Theatre, TanzTheater Munster, Richard Alston Dance Company x2, and Danish Dance Theatre x2. Also, two recent (but not this year’s) graduates are in the new Matthew Bourne line-up. They also seem to have quite a few graduates who choose to pursue freelance dancing or choreography careers.

As for other similar schools - Trinity Laban also offer a BA in Contemporary Dance. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks very much for replies . Very helpful. Have booked my dd on a summer school , Laines pre audition course and applied for her to attend Rambert in the autumn. Also booked to see various schools graduates shows . 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/07/2018 at 17:25, smallbythesea said:

Boogalou- Laine, rambert and northern.  Lsc take at 16 but suggest 18. Think trinity laban is 18.x

BA (Hons) Theatre Dance

Previous dance experience is a prerequisite when applying for the BA (Hons) Theatre Dance degree programme. A-level Dance is desirable but not essential. Applicants under 21 years of age must have obtained a minimum of two A-level passes*, plus three different GCSE passes of grade C or higher (or equivalent qualifications) including GCSE English Language, and have accumulated 96 UCAS points.

This is direct from LSC webpage. Which strongly suggests 18 is the min age. 

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 1